My Site Has Adsense Ads But I Can't Find Them in the Backend to Remove Them

Degree
I just realized that one of my old sites have a lot of Google adsense ads in the articles.

The problem is that I can't find them in the back-end.

I checked my Google adsense account and the source of my page, and it seems as if the ads are from my publisher account.

I am using Newspaper theme and I can't find the adsense code under "ads". Neither have I any ads plugin, however, I've had it in the past. So I re-installed to check if maybe something stuck, but it didn't.

I have checked through the code in the theme editor - but no success. The ads appear sometimes 4-5 times in the article, and one ad is always below the menu and above the article title.

This is confusing me a lot. Any suggestion on how I can locate these ads and delete them?

Cheers!

This is confusing me a lot. Any suggestion on how I can locate these ads and delete them?

Some ideas:
  • You might have Adsense Auto-Ads installed, which is just a script in the header (I think) or footer.
  • The ads might be placed within the PHP templates themselves in the theme files.
  • You may have used an old "Ad Inserter" style of plugin that left data in the database when uninstalled, but this isn't likely. It'd need the other files to successfully place the ads.
  • You've been hacked and there's some kind of javascript file being loaded and adding the advertisements on your behalf (but you said they're from your account)>
It's probably Auto-Ads, that's the only thing that makes full sense to me. Check for header code or footer code either in a theme options panel that lets you insert it, in the PHP theme templates themselves, or in some plugin you're using for that purpose.

Back