Mouse vs Trackpad vs ?

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
I'm in the market for a new mouse. I'm also considering the Apple trackpad.

What should a good mouse do?
  1. Have good size so you can rest your hand on it.
  2. Have responsive buttons.
  3. Be responsive to movement.

Maybe other stuff like:
  • Extra buttons or moves to use macros and commands

Logitech is well known. Apple usually has user experience on point, but their mouse costs like $100. What about the trackpad? That one intrigues me.

The Apple trackpad is good if have a Mac and already like the normal trackpad on the Macbooks. The gestures are very useful, but it's not for everyone. I've been using the same model from Logitech (based on the classic MX518) for years, haven't found any mouse that feels more comfortable, but I guess it's really down to personal preferences.

One thing I couldn't do with out is forward/back buttons on the side, which I use on Mac to switch between views (same as three/four finger swipe on Mac trackpad). Very helpful when you have multiple full-screen programs etc.

If you utilize multiple monitors, the trackpad seems cumbersome, at least based on my quick tests at the Apple store. Apple's mouse is also at odds with Apple's commitment to user experience both in terms of right clicking and the way in which you have to charge the mouse. Take a look at this mouse and this mouse.

Apple's mouse is also at odds with Apple's commitment to user experience both in terms of right clicking and the way in which you have to charge the mouse.

Thanks, can you expand on this?

I have been using wired Logitech mice for as long as I can remember. Right now I have an old G500s and it works flawlessly. Their customer support is great. I had an issue with a mouse like 8 years ago. It was within the 3~ year warranty. I called em up and they sent me an upgraded model as a replacement, no questions asked.

Also, I can't even imagine trying to do work without a mouse.

The best mouse I've ever used is the Logitech Performance MX. It has a couple side buttons that set up real well with macOS's Mission Control stuff. I have it set up to show the desktop on one button and all windows spread out on another. There's more buttons but I only use those two. But in general, the size of it, the shape of it. I'm going to buy another when I'm done with this Logitech MX Master, which I thought would be better since it's the newest model. Nope.

Thanks, can you expand on this?

The right click functionality is awkward. If memory serves, you have to hold down one finger while tapping the mouse with another finger in order to right click. Additionally, the charger input is located on the bottom of the mouse. As a result, you cannot use the mouse and charge it simultaneously. I tested the mouse out about six months ago so Apple may have changed things since.

Right click on the Magic mouse is normal. It seems odd since there is no clear separation but it works just fine once you get used holding it. I thought it would be an issue too when I got one but after an hour I didn’t notice the difference.

It is true you cannot use the mouse while charging, but I charge mine once a month i usually use my mouse about 12-18 hours a day. In fact I sort of forget how to charge when the mouse goes dead, which shows how often I charge it.

Right click on the Magic mouse is normal. It seems odd since there is no clear separation but it works just fine once you get used holding it. I thought it would be an issue too when I got one but after an hour I didn’t notice the difference.

It is true you cannot use the mouse while charging, but I charge mine once a month i usually use my mouse about 12-18 hours a day. In fact I sort of forget how to charge when the mouse goes dead, which shows how often I charge it.

Do you prefer the Magic mouse to a normal mouse? And why?

Do you prefer the Magic mouse to a normal mouse? And why?
Yeah, I’ve got like 6 or 8 of them around my house and condo and office. I just default to them TBH. That one Logitech mouse though, I had that in the past with the side buttons and using it with my mac was killer. But I just use hot corners on my desktop to swipe away all windows and stuff now.

The old Performance MX mice are legendary, I'm still hoarding a couple of them. I had the first version of the MX Master, it was pretty solid too but didn't quite fit my hand as well. The Flow feature on the MX 2 looks cool. They recently came out with an MX 3 that I'm looking at next, I heard they threw it back to the Performance a bit in terms of fit, so I'm curious to check that out.

I wonder if there's some "craft mouse" brand out there. Like with keyboards, the best ones are not from the popular brands like Logitech, Microsoft, etc.. so I wonder if there's some S-tier of mice for connoisseurs. I'm using a Logitech mechanical keyboard right now and it's noticeably worse than the Das Keyboard I have at my other desk, despite being in the same price point.

Sidenote: I just ran my Das Keyboard through the dishwasher and it feels brand new again, what a tank.

I use Apple Magic Trackpad. Would never go back to a regular mouse, as I don't game. Workflow with the gestures etc is much better.

The Magic Trackpad II is much better than the first. Flatter angle, bigger surface and looks better.

My wife has the magic mouse, and I don't really like it.

Good things about Logitech MX2 Master after 2 days of use:

• Can rest entire hand on it
  • The infinity scroll is nice, no need to drag the sidebar in long articles
  • Side wheel can be used to go back/forward
  • Side button opens Mac mission control
What I really want though is to switch panes with the side buttons. Anyone know how to do that? Not windows, but panes in internet browser.

I've been using the Magic Mouse 2 for the last three years with my iMac and it's the best mouse I've used yet. I have tried all types and the last one being one of those Logitech M something. It took a little time to get comfortable with it since you don't grip it like a typical mouse. You have to somewhat relearn how to hold it. The multi touch surface works flawlessly and I'll never go back to using a traditional wheel again. The right click is easy to use and works like any other mouse.

I was skeptical about the charging method at first but it can last me about a 1 month before I need to recharge using it almost 8 hrs a day. It only takes a few mins to get a quick charge that will last a full day. To fully charge takes maybe 2 hrs. It's not an issue at all.

My hand no longer cramps up from trying to hold a conventional mouse design. Highly recommend it!

Good things about Logitech MX2 Master after 2 days of use:

• Can rest entire hand on it
  • The infinity scroll is nice, no need to drag the sidebar in long articles
  • Side wheel can be used to go back/forward
  • Side button opens Mac mission control
What I really want though is to switch panes with the side buttons. Anyone know how to do that? Not windows, but panes in internet browser.

How is your thumb fatigue with the new mouse? That's my one complaint with most mice - my thumb gets tired at the end of the day. Then again, maybe I'm deathgripping the thing.

How is your thumb fatigue with the new mouse? That's my one complaint with most mice - my thumb gets tired at the end of the day. Then again, maybe I'm deathgripping the thing.

It's fine.

I can rest my entire hand. I also move my hand less, which takes some getting use to, due to the various buttons.

I think I might get a Magic Mouse soon though as well, to see which one I prefer.

If you're using Mac there's an app called SteerMouse that allows you to remap all your mouse buttons to specific functions. Pretty sure it can also be set to switch tabs in the browser, but you'd have to double check that.

Back