Minimum Qualifications to Register Domain to 301

harrytwatter

just be nice ffs
Degree
Of course, the mecca of domains to 301 to your money site are established, purchased while live, have tons of traffic, are niche relevant and match up perfectly 301-wise on a page level.

On the other end of the spectrum let's say you find a domain that expired in your niche with a referring domain from a super high industry authority, from which securing organic links today can be considered almost impossible.

For example, you have a rifle scope site and you find an expired domain with 4 total RDs, one of which is the National Rifle Association or something similar. Meanwhile the other 3 RDs aren't anything particularly special. The site has clean anchors, clean wayback history etc..

Do you snatch it up (say at a normal domain registration price <$10/yr) and 301 it just to get that 1 or 2 quality referring industry domains?

Or is registering and 301ing not worth it for just 1 or 2 quality RDs?

It depends on your tolerance for work, maintenance, and domains renewal fees.

I've picked up domains just for the content and not for the links. I've picked up domains for the links and not for the content. I've used ones that have maybe 10 decent links, and ones with 1000's.

The scenario you described with the NRA is pretty tempting. If you don't mind accumulating a lot of domains to attach to one main domain, then why not add one more? If you're an organization freak it might drive you crazy.

Thanks Future State! Do I have to do page level 301s or if it's a small site and all I want is that hard-to-get RD can I just 301 the whole thing to my home page?

Where does the hard-to-get link point? The domain's homepage or an inner page? If homepage then one 301 should work. If inner page then I'd aim it at the closest inner page you can find (or even create one). Google can and does wipe juice from bulk 301's to homepages (a way to combat lazy PBN makers).

Actually have a couple candidates, will make sure to check which page is receiving the hard-to-get link and 301 accordingly. Thanks for the heads up there!

Is there also danger associated with adding a 301 too early to a fresh domain? I've got about 4 legitimate links to a 3 month old site which I'm considering this 301 for.

*this is not a client site or anything, I'm just mucking about, so I'm open to a bit of risk :smile:

Back