Marketing and monetizing tool on launch

Degree
Hi all, I'm close to releasing a tool that helps people find the right product in a confusing product category.

My question is how to initially monetize and market this (on launch).

The product is a simple tool that allows you to select your preferences step by step, and then comes up with a list of viable products for your specific requirements. Think of someone buying a laptop, they might answer a few questions on what they plan to do with it (gaming, video editing, office work), what they want to connect to it (mouse, keyboard, ssd etc) so that you get a list of laptops that will work with those specific requirements.

The final screen is then a list of viable products, similar to how an ecommerce store might list products with filters and sorting.

My monetization strategy is simply to have Amazon affiliate links on those products cards ('View on Amazon' button). But I'm wondering if this is a good strategy to go for initially, because I want to promote the tool as a simple, useful tool in specific communities on Reddit and some other sites.

Would it be better to initially leave it unmonetized, promote it as 'just' a useful tool, then when it gets traction add monetization? Initial income would probably be limited anyway, and it might be a lot easier to get traction in those communities if it wasn't seen as pure self-promotion.

Has anyone here used a strategy like that?

My monetization strategy is simply to have Amazon affiliate links on those products cards ('View on Amazon' button). But I'm wondering if this is a good strategy to go for initially, because I want to promote the tool as a simple, useful tool in specific communities on Reddit and some other sites.

Would it be better to initially leave it unmonetized, promote it as 'just' a useful tool, then when it gets traction add monetization?
Ideally, you're linking them to somewhere to buy the products anyways. That's part of making the tool useful. So you might as well monetize it. I'd also provide links to multiple stores. Amazon, New Egg (following the tech example), BHPhoto, etc. Anyone big and trusted with an affiliate program, I'd include, and I'd have 3 options.

But I see zero benefit in this scenario nor in any other to remain unmonetized (unless it's slathering your site in display ads when trying to build links, etc.). None of that applies to you. Monetize your work, otherwise you're pissing valuable traffic down the drain.

I would figure out a way to capture emails, especially if you don't monetize from the beginning. That way you are growing an audience for your brand which you can monetize later on.

Ideally, you're linking them to somewhere to buy the products anyways. That's part of making the tool useful. So you might as well monetize it. I'd also provide links to multiple stores. Amazon, New Egg (following the tech example), BHPhoto, etc. Anyone big and trusted with an affiliate program, I'd include, and I'd have 3 options.

But I see zero benefit in this scenario nor in any other to remain unmonetized (unless it's slathering your site in display ads when trying to build links, etc.). None of that applies to you. Monetize your work, otherwise you're pissing valuable traffic down the drain.
That's a good point, I think most people using the tool would be pretty far in the buying process. Or at least with the tool they might narrow it down to 2-3 options that fit their requirements and then just check a few reviews before making the purchase. So linking to where they can buy the product is probably quite useful.

I don't really have any detail pages (as in site.com/products/macbook-pro routes) though, just the search results with product cards, not sure if I want to list 3 options in the search results. I could also have a 'Where to buy' or 'View more' button and have that open a modal / bottom sheet where you see all purchase options. But that would add an extra step.

Back