lulz, damn i'd be pissed if i hosted my shop on shopify.

Degree
just thought i'd post some light hearted BUT business related news info, since i kinda had a chit day.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/21/many-sites-including-twitter-and-spotify-suffering-outage/
http://time.com/4540360/internet-outage-twitter-reactions/

at one point I was looking at the drop-ship business. like swing trading, or sports betting, you can utilize a strategy and start testing it and seeing gains or losses from day one. I ultimately decided to go the slow/steady affiliate site route but i still look into it from time to time.

shopify seems to be the flavor of the month, and they are even so kind to offer a package where they host your store for you. yeah well it's been down... ALL day. For me at least. On a friday too? PAYDAY? i would be livid if i was a shopify hosted shop right now

ce2.png

(mods feel free to move this, if it's the wrong subforum)

Last edited:
The problem is a big bigger than "Shopify". They attacked the DNS service "Dyn", which a lot of major brands use. Amazon, twitter, soundcloud, github (still down), and more.

Sources: https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/21/many-sites-including-twitter-and-spotify-suffering-outage/

Krebs last month was hit with a record breaking 620 GBps DDOS, and then almost overnight the OVH hosting was hit with nearly that. (https://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/10/ddos-on-dyn-impacts-twitter-spotify-reddit/)

The reason for this extraordinary increase in DDOS power is due to the Internet of Things (IoT) devices that are connected to the internet now. Most are insecure, never updated, and ill-configured. The source code for the IoT devices botnet "Mirai" was released by Anna-senpai.

tVHhsUZ.png

Basically your smart thermostats, smart toasters, and smart fridges are being used to DDOS major brands offline.

The fascinating things about this one is they attacked the DNS service and were able to take a TON of major brands offline, not just a single website.

The total number of IoT devices infected with the Mirai malware has reached 493,000, up from 213,000 bots before the source code was disclosed around Oct. 1, according to internet backbone provider Level 3 Communications.

"The true number of actual bots may be higher," Level 3 said in a Tuesday blog post (http://blog.level3.com/security/grinch-stole-iot/).

More interesting reads: https://threatpost.com/mirai-bots-more-than-double-since-source-code-release/121368/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3132571/hackers-create-more-iot-botnets-with-mirai-source-code.html

--

The source code for Mirai can be found on github, which is ironically is offline at the moment due to ... DDOS.

Let's just say it's going to be an interesting Holiday season, cause Amazon.com was offline for 2 hours cause of this.

Amazon offline for two hours? That says something. It gives you pause for a second. Imagine a world without the internet.

Speaking as someone who grew up playing with different color "boxes" and running a 28.8 baud 3 node "Warez"bulletin board..

Does anyone else miss the old days?

How do these people make money with DDOS?

How do these people make money with DDOS?
  • Got a competitor? We'll knock him offline for x amount of weeks for x amount of dollars
  • Planning a big hack? Pay someone to knock a site offline to create a diversion while you are actually pentertrating their network
  • University fuck you over? Why not pay some Russian to knock their network around a bit
  • Ecommerce site fuck you over.. same thing, revenge I guess.

yeah i was aware that it wasn't specific to shopify. the reason i found out about it is because a former employer of mine hosts their mail in gmail, and they scale it with okta. old coworker hit me up to say the entire okta plat form was knocked out.

was just mentioning shopify because it seemed directly related to the forum. I suppose amazon should have been thrown in there as well.

I am very VERY suprised their aren't more attacks like this on SCADA equipment though. That equipment is old as hell and the only way to really secure it is to isolate the living hell out of it within an infrastructure. That said, if you're attacking SCADA equipment your goal isn't a little trivial hacktivism, it's probably full blown cyber warfare. fun times we live in.

But yes, let's connect shit in your fridge or your curling iron to the internet. Because that's a great idea.

@luxer, I know what you mean. Got that nostalgia myself. :wink: I started on BBS' at the end of the 80's and early 90's. Printing out lists of phone numbers for BBS' on a dot matrix. Getting those exorbitant and unexpected phone bills. LOL Fun and unique times younger millennials can't comprehend.

I started on BBS' at the end of the 80's and early 90's

Got my first computer in 1984. First modem was a 300 baud Hayes modem which I later upgraded to a "blazing fast" 1200 baud. I still miss the BBS days sometimes. I don't miss only having 64k of memory to write programs in, although the limitations helped lay the foundation for the way I think as a programmer (the best code is less code).

@luxer, I know what you mean. Got that nostalgia myself. :wink: I started on BBS' at the end of the 80's and early 90's. Printing out lists of phone numbers for BBS' on a dot matrix. Getting those exorbitant and unexpected phone bills. LOL Fun and unique times younger millennials can't comprehend.

1992. I couldn't drive yet. I met a girl on a local bbs and had an upperclassman drive me to meet her at the mall. Match.com the hard way.

Also remember my mother screaming her head off about trying to call home and the phone line being busy

I was on the net in the late 80s (via a University) and can recall downloading, then having to uudecode a file (possibly merging two files first) just to see a "photo" of a sailboat in 16 shades of orange... or green, depending on what color your EGA monitor was. :smile:

My first internet memories were Windows 3.1 and 14.4k modems and some really pissed off parents for the next decade. Why they never bought a 2nd phoneline after all that time... I never understood.

• Got a competitor? We'll knock him offline for x amount of weeks for x amount of dollars
  • Planning a big hack? Pay someone to knock a site offline to create a diversion while you are actually pentertrating their network
  • University fuck you over? Why not pay some Russian to knock their network around a bit
  • Ecommerce site fuck you over.. same thing, revenge I guess.

Had a friend when younger get approached by a hacker, to DDOS his competitor.. all done online.... long story short.. he got caught.. ended up having to do real prison time for that... Short time but also after, a halfway house.

It happens all day though. Def correct.

Had a friend when younger get approached by a hacker, to DDOS his competitor.. all done online.... long story short.. he got caught.. ended up having to do real prison time for that... Short time but also after, a halfway house.

It happens all day though. Def correct.

Dang that's insane and the actual hacker got away scott free?

1992. I couldn't drive yet. I met a girl on a local bbs and had an upperclassman drive me to meet her at the mall. Match.com the hard way.

Also remember my mother screaming her head off about trying to call home and the phone line being busy

No text messages, no call waiting, the good old days

These days it is instant gratification. Instagram/snapchat/facetime etc.

Crazy how things have changed. Some good some bad, personally I prefer being less being "available" all the time.

Anyone else with me on this?

Back