Linux, Linux, Linux, Linux

AbdulJabbr

Lucifer's Right Hand
Degree
when @Ryuzaki, @SmokeTree and @CCarter start posting on DevOps i basically just zone out, yeah it boring to the outsiders.

But smoketree talks about how linux is just so way ahead, so i decided to boot up kubuntu, the kde variant of ubuntu a.k.a linux for newcomers, my expectations were high but all i got was just a whole new way of doing things that i was not too used too, not a bad thing but i did not see any real advantage, i expected i will get me coding skills/tools that will enable me take over the White house or something.

But worse still i run a kubuntu-devel-release on bash and got updated to the latest release the LTS version only to find out its buggy as hell, everything crashes quite frequently and books in epub formats take years to load, how can i code or do sys admin stuffs in something that takes years to load 1 mb epub book

could it be that am yet to understand how its meant to work? because as of now i see no real advantage yet only that people support it because its open source

I use MAC OS X for my OS, it's full Unix. Development is done on Ubuntu servers on the commandline on Linode boxes for $10 or you can go with DigitalOcean. I personally don't recommend using Linux as your main OS.

If you are looking to hack stuff, which I don't recommend - however there were things like PHLAK which was a linux distro that was dedicated towards "security professionals" it's the "Professional Hacker's Linux Assault Kit". But things have been updated and new upgraded variations exist, but I can't be bothered to look into it.

Your OS is a tool in a toolbox. But if you have no vision on what you want to create with it, then it's just going to be a rusty tool in the toolbox.

The real question that you need to ask yourself is "How is this going to make you money?" "This" being whatever you are attempting to learn or create. So using your example how is "taking over the White House" going to make you money in your scenario? That road seems like a waste of time and counterproductive to growing wealth or generating revenue.

I've used linux for over 10 years as my desktop OS and switched to OS X last year. I'm happy I did.

With Linux, you'll be spending a *LOT* of time debugging stuff. Apps, hardware, drivers, and the OS are all maintained by different people voluntarily so there are a lot of stuff that goes wrong.

If you want to use Linux, I recommend using it in a VM since the virtual hardware is well supported.

Linux is great for the most part, and the modern distros sure are easier to get working than even a few years ago. KDE is by far the buggiest of the popular desktop environments though, or at least it always was for me regardless of system.

Having said that my new computer came with Windows 10 and I didn't immediately find anything I hated about that either, or anything I couldn't do that I needed to do... so I haven't bothered switching back to Linux since as @CCarter says there wouldn't be any financial benefit in me wasting a few hours so I can use Firefox on a different OS :wink: It's also kinda nice that when clients send me a word doc it's not all messed up by the time Libre Office opens it...

KDE is by far the buggiest of the popular desktop environments though, or at least it always was for me regardless of system.

Nope. Gnome 3 is just as buggy. The only thing I found stable was Gnome 2, but that desktop environment has been around since the 00's so they better have figured out all the bugs for it by now.

@AbdulJabbr Just as I don't know anyone that tried a pair of "Air Jordan" shoes and was suddenly able to jump higher or run faster, I'm afraid that merely installing Linux isn't going to give anyone coding skills or superpowers. The only things that I know of that will do that are knowledge and experience.

When I speak of Linux and the power it has, I'm speaking on what it is capable of on the Server side. IMO, Linux has a ways to go as far as the desktop world is concerned but it's catching up. I don't think I'd ever use Linux as my primary OS for desktop. It's the same reason I don't use Windows to run Apache, Ruby, Python or anything else that was developed in a UNIX type environment.

The way I run Linux, I run Windows or Mac OS as the host system and then I install the server versions of Linux, which is just Linux with the desktop packages removed. From there I can use all the desktop tools in Windows/Mac and access the Linux VMs with SSH and also use Samba for file sharing so I can run my favorite text editor (Atom and Sublime 3) on the host sys and use it to edit files on the server via network/nfs share. The VMs I set up are basically identical to the way they will be set up with Linode/Digital Ocean/etc. The small investment in time to set things up this way (about 2 hours to set it all up) pays for itself because I can catch a TON of bugs in development well before I even push to staging servers. Doing things this way means I'm not going to lose money/time troubleshooting issues that have nothing to do with the system I'll be running in production.

I see people trying this thing all the time where they try to make Perl/PHP/Ruby/Python/etc work on Windows and end up having all kinds of problems getting it set up when they are just going to deploy it to a VPS running Linux. There is zero benefit in trying to shoehorn tools that were developed with UNIX/Linux in mind into a Windows world. An exception to this can be with recent langs such as Go and Elixir which have semi-decent support for Windows (Go is the better of the two in this regard).

Ultimately, I think it boils down your needs. If you're looking for the ultimate desktop experience, my personal recommendation would be Mac OS and Windows, in that order. If you're doing any type of web development or working with hardware, you'll most certainly want to have a Linux VM or 2 running alongside your desktop OS. At the end of the day, it's all about the best tool for the job.

You mean you guys don't all use standalone systems with NICs and HD's removed, running TAILS, so the NSA won't see you?! :wink:

In all seriousness, though, it really depends what you're trying to accomplish. If it's creating one-off things, minor scripts and programs run periodically, internal tools and resources....just about anything can work. If it's delivering client services in which you must have 100% up time, that might steer you certain directions. If it's using certain, specific, server side architectures, that may steer you another direction. If the main focus is simply learning more code and experimenting more, use whatever OS is easiest for you, because frankly, for that purpose, the OS simply does not matter. Mac or Windows, you'll be just fine.

I like Linux just fine for what it is, and for what it can do well. That being said, unfortunately a lot of the hype comes from the "free software" crowd. In short, they're communists that want to steal your stuff, use it as they see fit, profit from it, and market it as their own. As such, they often utilize tenets straight out of Alinsky's Rules For Radicals, rabidly espousing the moral superiority of that which is open source, as if it was hand-forged by The Creator. Nothing wrong with open source, but it's hardly a "moral" issue. Anyways, I think all of that hype has lead to a lot of pie-in-the-sky types of outlooks on various Linux distros, and what people think will magically happen when they convert to them.

When I speak of Linux and the power it has, I'm speaking on what it is capable of on the Server side. IMO, Linux has a ways to go as far as the desktop world is concerned but it's catching up. I don't think I'd ever use Linux as my primary OS for desktop.

You are definitely on point with this it did enable me learn locally how to get a vps up and running on my own and understand your tutorial on wordpress file permissions a lot better but as a desktop os, it's still way behind

You mean you guys don't all use standalone systems with NICs and HD's removed, running TAILS, so the NSA won't see you?! :wink:

In all seriousness, though, it really depends what you're trying to accomplish. If it's creating one-off things, minor scripts and programs run periodically, internal tools and resources....just about anything can work. If it's delivering client services in which you must have 100% up time, that might steer you certain directions. If it's using certain, specific, server side architectures, that may steer you another direction. If the main focus is simply learning more code and experimenting more, use whatever OS is easiest for you, because frankly, for that purpose, the OS simply does not matter. Mac or Windows, you'll be just fine.

I like Linux just fine for what it is, and for what it can do well. That being said, unfortunately a lot of the hype comes from the "free software" crowd. In short, they're communists that want to steal your stuff, use it as they see fit, profit from it, and market it as their own. As such, they often utilize tenets straight out of Alinsky's Rules For Radicals, rabidly espousing the moral superiority of that which is open source, as if it was hand-forged by The Creator. Nothing wrong with open source, but it's hardly a "moral" issue. Anyways, I think all of that hype has lead to a lot of pie-in-the-sky types of outlooks on various Linux distros, and what people think will magically happen when they convert to them.

eric raymond actually does recommend running an open source OS as your desktop OS then again maybe he is outdated, i followed his guide here
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

I use MAC OS X for my OS, it's full Unix. Development is done on Ubuntu servers on the commandline on Linode boxes for $10 or you can go with DigitalOcean. I personally don't recommend using Linux as your main OS.

If you are looking to hack stuff, which I don't recommend - however there were things like PHLAK which was a linux distro that was dedicated towards "security professionals" it's the "Professional Hacker's Linux Assault Kit". But things have been updated and new upgraded variations exist, but I can't be bothered to look into it.

Your OS is a tool in a toolbox. But if you have no vision on what you want to create with it, then it's just going to be a rusty tool in the toolbox.

The real question that you need to ask yourself is "How is this going to make you money?" "This" being whatever you are attempting to learn or create. So using your example how is "taking over the White House" going to make you money in your scenario? That road seems like a waste of time and counterproductive to growing wealth or generating revenue.
i see your point @CCarter but paulgraham actually does recommend getting your feet wet first before deciding which problem to solve, what do you think?
http://www.paulgraham.com/pfaq.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you take advice from ANYONE including people on this board ask yourself one question, "Are they in life where I want to be?" If the answer is No, stop taking their advice. If this Paul and Eric person are what you want to be then go with their advice.

I have no desire or goals to master any operating system or programming language - some people's goals are that. I need to get as familiar with it to write code that runs on it. My desire is to master my businesses' industries not the nooks and crannys of an OS. I'll hire employees that have mastered at a higher level server maintenance and OS whatever. That doesn't add any more revenue into my pockets if I am being honest. Trust me I can scale horizontally and vertically my operations on linux and have done far more than most system administrators have in their lifetime and worse case scenario I bother @SmokeTree (He loves this stuff I personally don't). But I HAD to learn that stuff and most I forget after months, but I have zero desire to be a system administrator. I push Redis to the limits cause that end result will make me more revenue. I've got MYSQL tables holding over 5 billion rows - single tables each doing that, I've had to learn nonsense about MYSQL I personnally wouldn't be fucked to waste time learning unless I have too.

Me wasting time using Linux as a OS, how does that generate my business more revenue? If I don't see the direct connection I don't waste time with it. I have zero desire to sit in front of a computer one second more than I have to and I am on a path so one day I won't be. My concentration is on my business competing and crushing my competition, not mastering Linux. ANYTHING I do has that underlying goal in mine, if not I am impatient and will say "fuck this" eventually.

I have personal goals, if what I do gets me to my goals faster or smarter I do learn it and master it, if not its a waste of time.

"Concentrate on the few not the many" - Dan Pena

thanks! wont ever forget this! no more software wanking...

It was 2002 when I first started to use Linux. I never looked back!
I have changed some distributions these years, but I do not feel the need to use other OS.
It's up to the person, but I really like the freedom Linux brings you!

some hidden nuggets here i downloaded the page just to re-read, thanks.

Back