Link Building Mistakes to Avoid

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Most people know better than to do some of these things now, but you can still get confused if you look at spammer blogs and spammer forums where they still advocate these methods. If it seems like everyone else is doing it, you don't question it and then end up ruining your sites. A little common sense goes a long way, but it's just as easy to put the car in drive and put the pedal to the metal.

What are some link building mistakes we should warn the newcomers about? Please add to this list if you can think up anything you've done in the past that hurt you instead of helped.

Low Quality Link Spam
Blog comments, forum profiles, blog trackbacks, social bookmarks, social signals, guestbook posts, wiki edits, .asp footprints, web 2.0 accounts, article directories, site directories, image galleries... the list can go on forever. Most were devalued by Google or have become entirely no-follow. They're worthless for you if you take whatever you can get, and if you take them in the 10,000's like the old days you will be in trouble. There are tons of good, moderated sites you should get links like these on if they are relevant and clean.

Guest Posting Footprints
I saw this in @Steve Brownlie 's signature. He talks about it at length here. The point is that the sites you find in the SERPs by searching for "guest posts + niche" usually don't get traffic for anything but those phrases and will accept any old garbage. A lot of them turn around and ask you for money too. If a site is actively asking for guest posts, you can bet it's a bad deal. Pitch sites that aren't asking, pitch tips to sites asking for them, and make friends on social media then ask them.

Not Filtering Your Outreach List
There are a ton of agencies and sites that automate their outreach and if you don't respond they keep re-emailing you some "hey not sure if you saw this" emails every week. That's a great way to get your main email accounts flagged as spam and put on blacklists. Following up might boost your conversion rate a tiny bit, but following up more than once is going to burn bridges. I don't recommend following up ever, just reach out to more sites if you know you're hitting an active email account. Don't chase down their whois information or start pestering them on social too. It becomes stalkerish.

Forum Signatures, Sitewide Links, Press Releases
These aren't "bad" unless you use them wrong. You need to really think about the anchor you're about to use on your forum account with 5,000 posts and on that footer with 10,000 indexed pages. If you distribute a theme for people to use and include a link, you shouldn't risk it at all. Use no-follow. Same for press releases. Your best bet on any of these is to use a branded anchor, but don't use any kind of exact match you hope to rank for. You can use something broad related to your site aimed at the hompage, like "computer information," if you're brave and want to force that signal. But don't get too specific.

Worrying about Page Rank, Domain Authority, Trust Flow, etc.
There are people who still think you should only get links from sites with one of these metrics that are higher than your own. But what happens when you surpass them? Do you ask for the link to be removed? That's how dumb this is. Don't worry about metrics. You might ignore the Domain Rank 23 site when they would have given you a link, and a year later they become Domain Rank 78. Take what is relevant and clean and free of spam. Worry more about high quality site builds, content, and being free from spam. Relevancy is more important than anything else. You can and should take links on good general sites too, though.

Anchor Text Ratios
Don't use the same anchor text over and over again or you'll lose your ability to rank for those phrases. The safest thing is to only use the exact match anchor text a few times, and then dilute with URLs, brands, generics, random long phrases, and LSI terms. Be careful not to over use any set of one words that make up your main phrase too. Use them enough, but not too much.

Widget Links, Site Badges, Inclusion for Links
This is kind of like the sitewide links in the footer or sidebars, but there's no real good way of doing this that won't have Google coming down on your site eventually. It's a links scheme. Building or buying a widget and putting a dofollow link on it back to your site and pinging an update across the blogosphere is manipulation. Building a "Top 10 Fashion Blogger Award" badge to give out to mommy bloggers that links back to your site is a link scheme. Directories that will let you in if you link back... scheme. The same goes for "web rings, link carousels" and all of that stuff that was useful in the late 90's before search engines were around and decent will get you in trouble now.

Public / Private Blog Networks
This is a heads up. These links are pretty effective, but not for a long time. So if you don't want to get a penalty or lose the links you spent money on, don't deal with these. When they come crashing down, so will your rankings to a certain degree, and often times you will catch a manual penalty for having used a PBN. Sometimes you'll get deindexed. If you care for your sites, don't do it.

Anything else?

Guest Posting Footprints
I saw this in @Steve Brownlie 's signature. He talks about it at length here. The point is that the sites you find in the SERPs by searching for "guest posts + niche" usually don't get traffic for anything but those phrases and will accept any old garbage. A lot of them turn around and ask you for money too. If a site is actively asking for guest posts, you can bet it's a bad deal. Pitch sites that aren't asking, pitch tips to sites asking for them, and make friends on social media then ask them.

Nice stuff. We're going to be talking about guest posting footprints in depth this week on our YouTube show. There's a lot of creative ways to find guest post opportunities that don't involve using footprints that everyone and their mother knows about.

@Ryuzaki - besides guest posting and outreach - what types of links can a beginner build these days to get the needle moving? I think a list of link types that someone can just sit down and grind out new links over the course of a weekend?

For me, I like to find the most popular web forums for my niche and spend 1-2 weeks seeding them with posts so that it looks like I'm legit (and for all accounts, I am). Then, I use Google and the site: operator to find threads that include my keywords and topics. If they're recent, I'll drop a thread comment and use my link to "illustrate" the point I'm trying to make in the comment. I've never had one of these links deleted.

The other thing I do is blog comments on very, very trusted magazine/news sites. I do this purely for the traffic. I have my Google alerts sending me daily notifications for my keywords. If it shows me a new article relevant to my niche, I'll drop a comment on it. I will only comment when the articles are fresh and still getting new traffic....so I'm looking to comment within the first 5 days of the post being published. The link will exist in the body of the comment and will be used to illustrate my point. These always stick and I pull a few hundred visits each time.

Trying to Build Links to Crap Content

This is a way to screw yourself over doubly hard. First, let's say you put in 40 hours of outreach and writing content to acquire links to this page. Since your content is crap, your conversion rate was 1/4 what it should have been. Second, even if you power through and get as many and more links than the top competitor, you still may not rank because the user engagement metrics and on-page SEO is crap. Crap crap crap. Everything starts at the foundation, which is the content. Make sure you get that right first and foremost so you aren't sabotaging yourself.

besides guest posting and outreach - what types of links can a beginner build these days to get the needle moving?

I talk about this in-depth in the Off-Page SEO day of the crash course. I'll reel some stuff off the top of my head here too:
  • Blog Comments
  • Forums (posts, signatures, profiles)
  • Social Media profiles & posts
  • CSS galleries, Logo galleries, Infographic galleries
  • Music upload sites, Video upload sites, Graphics upload sites
  • Sites like Reddit, Voat, Hacker News, StumbleUpon
  • Q&A sites like Quora, Yahoo Answers, etc.
  • Open-Reg sites like Medium, Buzzfeed, etc.
There's more but I can't wrack my brain over it right now. Most of these have platforms and footprints and curated lists you can find that'll open the door to a lot of links. Avoid the unmoderated and spammed sites. Most of this will be no-follow and will be URL and Brand anchors to your homepage (which is great). Some of it you can aim right at an inner post where you can control the content and the anchor text too. So plan accordingly and try to get some SERP visibility for an important post you created.

After a good run at sites like that, especially a zillion forums and blog comments, and a lot of time, you'll slowly gain SERP visibility across your content. But from there you'll need to focus on the stuff like outreach, traffic leaks, social media (paid and free), and solid marketing to attract more powerful links. You'll end up with enough visibility that normal internet users will build a lot of these easy links for you, especially the forum links.

Letting Moderation Fences Stop You

I've been building links on forums and sites where you can sign up an account and free post, but where there's moderation. I rarely see any link building done on these sites because spammers are truly lazy and are going for volume over quality. That works on them, but not on me.

What I'm learning is that 95% of these sites do zero moderation beyond the initial wall. If you get past that, it's a free for all. And the 5% that are still sticklers, I've found some extremely sneaky ways to still get links in without doing anything like hiding them (one example would be to get a really good post through the moderation queue and then edit your link in once nobody is looking).

People with the best security systems are the ones that relax the most inside their fences. Once you get in, you can do whatever you want. A lot of times these make great pieces to promote or tier through because they're on trusted sites.

For instance, I got a guest post live on a huge site three days ago (DR 64 / DA 72). It was some quick rewrite from my own site I slapped together in 30 minutes, but I went all out with custom graphics to visually impress. It worked, and worked so well that the post is now a featured post on their homepage. So what did I do? I took it over to Reddit and dropped it on a small sized sub that's highly targeted. Got enough upvotes to hit #3 or so and turn the link dofollow. Got some comments and now will get that thread indexed. Will likely promote it in other subs and use it as an OBL in places I need to mix in with my own direct link.

Awesome post and dead on. One thing I would add is, I still use a few Web 2.0 platforms, but I make them totally legit with high quality content, which I add monthly. I also build links to them from relevant, quality websites. Gives the link profile some nice diversity, but you are right, if you are lazy and just throw up some junk, with tiered link spam, they are worthless.

I am having trouble finding 'medium effort/value' backlink opportunities for small local clients.
I am fine with self-generated backlinks - manual blog comments, forum profiles and posts, local citations/directories etc.

I am also ok with PR type outreach links ( i have been building these for my own site), but these take a lot of time and effort and are thus out of budget for the majority of my current clients (getting better clients is an obvious solution but thats besides the point).

@jstover77 what kind of price range are these publishers you use?

I can and do easily rank the type of small clients i am talking about here with a decent amount of citations and self-generated links, plus a handful of phrase match anchor PBN posts, but if i could substitute the PBN posts for legitimate websites for a similar cost and SEO value, i would be much happier.

Looking at other SEOs in the area, the majority seem to either do sod all and rely on client turnover to generate an income, operate as PR agencies with fees well beyond the reach of the 'tradesmen in small town' type clients i am working with atm, or do as i do and mix citations with PBNs.

@jstover77 what kind of price range are these publishers you use?

Prices are all over the place. I have some that cost me $30 and some that are $500+. I try to keep my tiered links to a minimum price wise. I find that relevancy and a bit of authority go a long way when your upstream.

Tip for getting more natural links - write a killer content piece (hur-der), then use quuu.co, Outbrain/Taboola, Reddit paid post (if it fits), Facebook paid (fucking kill it if you know how to target correctly), etc...Don't have to spend a ton to get a shit ton of exposure. If it's a good piece, you'll get a good amount of natural links.

Tip #2 - always internally link back to a sales page from your amazing content piece (use exact or partial anchors of course:smile:.

I am having trouble finding 'medium effort/value' backlink opportunities for small local clients.

We just started this week so I don't have a large data set yet. We started pitching other local business free content for their blog.

We created a persona for the business owner. Then reach out to non competing local business.

For example, one our clients is an attorney which handles bad faith insurance, so we have been emailing local roofers and auto body shops (companies which deal with consumer insurance) pitching them a post on how to deal with insurance companies. We have had a couple positive responses so far, but still tweaking the messaging to increase the success rate.

While most local business have weak backlink profiles, I think the local relevance will help in low competition markets or keywords.

Prices are all over the place. I have some that cost me $30 and some that are $500+. I try to keep my tiered links to a minimum price wise. I find that relevancy and a bit of authority go a long way when your upstream.

Tip for getting more natural links - write a killer content piece (hur-der), then use quuu.co, Outbrain/Taboola, Reddit paid post (if it fits), Facebook paid (fucking kill it if you know how to target correctly), etc...Don't have to spend a ton to get a shit ton of exposure. If it's a good piece, you'll get a good amount of natural links.

@jstover77 Doing some research on quuu.co promote. It is $40 a month per piece of content you want promoted? And you have had good results with this?

@jstover77 Doing some research on quuu.co promote. It is $40 a month per piece of content you want promoted? And you have had good results with this?

Yes, $40 per piece of content (you can get it down $25 depending on volume). I'm still doing a lot of testing, but so far the results have been great (friend who told me about it kills it with his content). Key is to have some really sticky content and promote in tandem with other paid promotions like Facebook, Outbrain, etc... I'm still testing and working on some other strategies. I'll post some of the results once I get everything dialed in.

Last edited:
Going for "Easy Links" That Won't Do You Any Good

I've seen several newcomers on the forum say that they want to start building links, and come up with goals like 20 blog comments this month.

These kind of links are nice but if you start with them you'll be sorely disappointed. They do not move the needle. Yes, you want them, but you'll break your own heart if you think they'll rank you. They're good for relevancy and google spider bait and add to the big picture of your backlink profile, but they won't move the needle like you want.

Same goes for a lot of profiles. Here is the problem. Blog comments are mostly nofollow. Profiles, even when dofollow, are blocked in robots.txt or meta-tag'd for noindex. You need to check for those things, because they may not even get crawled, let alone indexed.

Get these links, all the easy ones. But don't expect them to be needle movers. If you want to see big bumps in ranking happening you need contextual links, like open registration blogs (check for dofollow) and guest posts. You can find dofollow forums too.

So much of SEO for new people is getting results before getting demoralized. Ramp up fast, then go back and fill in the gaps.

Profiles, even when dofollow, are blocked in robots.txt or meta-tag'd for noindex. You need to check for those things, because they may not even get crawled, let alone indexed.

People still do profile links? Seriously?

I think comments, whether NoFollow or not are decent to have, especially if the comments are decent and you're getting them on competitor sites. Traffic + a link from your competitor of any kind is badass. Agree that they won't move the needle alone though.

Guest Posting Footprints

Hi, this is all true general advice, but I have found some stellar writing gigs using the footprint method - including on IDG branded sites like Network World and CIO.com - and just two days ago i got a writing gig on The Next Web by this method. All of them have open calls for contributors and self-publishing platforms (which are highly highly vetted) and all of them I only found through using the footprint method. So, there's still some life in this "almost" dead dog :tongue:

People still do profile links? Seriously?

I've managed to put 500 word articles, on a profile page with a nofollow "homepage" field and noindex meta tag or robots.txt directive, that just so happened to have dofollows in the big ass about field. But there was no text editor, but they also don't strip HTML. That 500 words was enough to convince Google to index it even though it was set to noindex.

If you're crafty, you can get links in some of the nuttiest places. I think it was @Ryuzaki in another thread said he found a spot on a big site where they didn't sanitize or check the Twitter profile URL on a Twitter field, but they did on Facebook and Pinterest. So he managed to put his homepage in the Twitter part and it was dofollow.

If you're not thinking about scaling forum profiles and you find actual big targets with big metrics you want and start stress testing them to find ways to sneak a link in, you'd be surprised at the success rates. You just have to get crafty and test everything.

Back