Lets talk watches

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
I'm looking for a watch.

I haven't had a watch since high school probably.

Now, there are many different types of watches, brands, types. Let's talk about some of them.

I've considered getting a smart watch actually. I've also considered getting a Swiss watch, but since they're usually quite expensive, a smart watch seems like a better choice.

I've followed the development of watches on Kickstarter and elsewhere with astonishment. I think most watches today, particularly those chinese produced "speciality" items on Kickstarter, look no different than the bootleg copies you could get in Asia 20 years ago. They looked great back then as well. The only difference is they probably work longer and don't have fake names on them.

That's sort of turned me off a lot of watches, cause all these new watches remind of those china-copies from back in the day.

I don't like smartwatches, as I rarely carry my phone (I spend time with who I'm with at the time, and nobody pays me enough for "24/7 support"). I tried a Xiami smart watch, and I still use it sometimes when I travel, on my other wrist, to keep track of two time zones.

I have 3 watches, one Seiko 5 Mechanical with "James Bond" Nato-strap I wear daily, one Rolex sub and one Panerai Luminor.

If you buy a good mechanical watch, you can have it and enjoy it for a long time. I feel a smartwatch will be trash when the newer better one comes out, or there will be issues with backward compatibility when new models are released.

I have 3 watches, one Seiko 5 Mechanical with "James Bond" Nato-strap I wear daily, one Rolex sub and one Panerai Luminor.

Are Seiko a good "starter watch"?

Yes, their mechanical watches are really cool - I had mine for many years. Like these https://www.reloj.es/seiko-seiko-5-reloj-automatico-de-buceo-con-fecha-dia-srpd55k3.htm

Mine came on a rubber diver strap, but I switched it to this style
02-NATO-Strap.jpg

My strap is slightly different, as it's a proper Nato strap, that loops around both lugs and builds it up a bit higher from the wrist. But the colors are the same

If you buy quartz, you can buy whatever. It's just a battery and nothing else inside pretty much.

Last edited:
I'm not a diver, but I like the design and idea of the waterproof watches for outdoors stuff like fishing, hunting, hiking or sailing. The rubber strap doesn't seem all that comfortable though.

Any suggestions for an "outdoor" / marine watch?

I also like the idea of a world clock watch, but I don't travel that much anymore, so not really that relevaat.

I've been looking at and will probably get a couple Vincero Watches in the near future. They have a ton of styles, look nice enough to me with an untrained eye, and come in around $150 each plus a constant 15% discount going on.

T85gQPI.png

Yeah, I like classic watches as well, just not as my first watch as I don't dress for it in everyday life.

Leather straps are nice, but not very comfortable here in the heat as they get sweaty. I like them for when I wear a suit, with a brown leather strap and brown leather shoes. Looks very nice with a navy suit.

If you buy a leather strap, I wouldn't do an alligator look one - they just look cheap. You can get a coarser leather strap pretty cheap and fit it on any watch. Some people don't like to mix leather straps with diver's watches, because it doesn't really make sense (but if you're not going to dive with it, like most normal people, who cares?).

Rubber straps are pretty comfortable as they get softer but can be a bit bulky. I don't like metal straps and don't think they look very good.

I dive, but not with a watch like this. I just like the look of diver watches.

I have spent more than I like on watches (Omega Moonwatch, IWC, etc etc etc... I am not a smartwatch fan, but love a good mechanical watch. There are lots of good options starting at about $150 and it is easy to spend $10k+, the only point I would make is get an automatic watch instead of a quartz.

I would be happy to write up a quick summary with some options at various price points (100-500, 500-1000, 1-3k, 3-5k, etc).

Here are some great options.

These are all automatics - so no batteries and they should age very well.

The danger is that these will become your gateway drug into a watch obsession. However, if that is the case these will still stay in the rotation as you expand the collection.

$100-$500: Several good options in the price point.
  • Hamilton Khaki Field - great history (first watch of the US Army in 1910) and a rugged look.
  • Seiko Presage - excellent dress watch at a good price point.
$500-$1000: This is a bit of an odd price for watches now. There are far more options above 1k and you can get something as nice at just under $500. There are slightly higher-end options of the above two options available in this price range.

$1,000-$3,000: Many great options at this price.
  • Oris 65 - Amazing watch and the domed sapphire crystal is beautiful in person. Diver style
  • Nomos - Many options from this small German brand. Very Bauhaus design aesthetic with excellent movements.
$3,000-$5,000
  • Omega Moonwatch - 1st Watch on Moon. Classic.
  • IWC Mark XVIII - Solid Pilots Watch. Simple aesthetic. Beautifully finished.
I hope this helped.

I wear a Bering Solar watch. The mesh link is breaking. Gonna replace it soon. It's the second watch with a mesh link that broke on me. No more mesh links!

The CFO in my company has an Omega Seamaster. It's OK. The Head of Customer service in my company has a vintage Rolex Submariner. I've tried it on and I think I'm gonna get the Submariner Date or a Seamaster. Haven't decided.

I bought my Tag Heuer in 2011 when I was shitfaced on a Royal Caribbean Bermuda cruise after losing $2,500 on their craps table that had atrocious backing odds. I wasn't planning on buying a watch, but then on the way to the dining area I locked eyes with the beautiful Colombian saleswoman in the Tag Heuer store. Next thing I know I'm swiping the credit card.

Love the watch though. Wear it everyday.

Different watches for different occasions. I have a pretty simple metal Citizen I wear for semi-formal and a DW with a leather band for more formal occasions. But since I wear jeans/chinos + t-shirt/sweater + sneakers/boots 90% of the time the formals don't get taken out much..

I've actually been thinking about reducing my "notification exposure/smartphone addiction" for a while now, meaning I want to make my phone more of stationary data hub that I detach from and check intermittently during the day. I already keep my phone on silent and disable lock screen and badge notifications, but I still find myself wasting waaaay to much time scrolling through garbage at all times of the day..

SO, in pursuit of using my smartphone less I've been looking at one of the vintage style Casio digital watches. They are affordable and casual enough to pair well with my generally casual wardrobe.

My thinking is I can keep my alarm (I actually like those old school digital beeping sounds over my iPhone's alarm), keep the time, and also separate myself from my phone for longer periods of time.. which I'm expecting to help improve focus, productivity and just general satisfaction with the quality of my life (looking at you Instagram!)

Last edited:
I rock the moon watch @NicheMaker was talking about. I wouldn't waste money on anything in the $1-3k price range, but I might go for a handful of beaters in the $200-400 range, like the Seiko SKX or some Casios, maybe something like a Citizen Nighthawk. I have a nice Casio Edifice too, but I don't wear it because I love the Omega more and more the longer I own it.

If nothing else, you should get a G-Shock, G-Shock is the fucking best.

GFTDqtk.jpg

r9c1ZVJ.jpg

No

Are Seiko a good "starter watch"?
Yes, and if you like divers checkout the Seiko SKX

If nothing else, you should get a G-Shock, G-Shock is the fucking best.

I had my first G-shock in 2000.... ........ I remember wearing that watch to school like I was the shit.... but where i was from, NOBODY understood what I was saying with that status symbol LOL

Different watches for different occasions. I have a pretty simple metal Citizen I wear for semi-formal and a DW with a leather band for more formal occasions. But since I wear jeans/chinos + t-shirt/sweater + sneakers/boots 90% of the time the formals don't get taken out much..

I've actually been thinking about reducing my "notification exposure/smartphone addiction" for a while now, meaning I want to make my phone more of stationary data hub that I detach from and check intermittently during the day. I already keep my phone on silent and disable lock screen and badge notifications, but I still find myself wasting waaaay to much time scrolling through garbage at all times of the day..

SO, in pursuit of using my smartphone less I've been looking at one of the vintage style Casio digital watches. They are affordable and casual enough to pair well with my generally casual wardrobe.

My thinking is I can keep my alarm (I actually like those old school digital beeping sounds over my iPhone's alarm), keep the time, and also separate myself from my phone for longer periods of time.. which I'm expecting to help improve focus, productivity and just general satisfaction with the quality of my life (looking at you Instagram!)

Those vintage style Casios look cool. I use my Casio for my alarm and it works great, except it's not very loud so I need it close to my bed for it to wake me up. I've gone through 3 gshocks and a bunch of other Casios, they are awesome, the only reason I don't keep them is I give them to friends all the time.

Back