Learning my way around UpWork

Nat

Degree
I'm completely new to UpWork.

I posted a job with a low entry level and 3-6 months time span because that seemed 'safe,' and then messaged people I was interested in based on some filters and search queries. If I've found someone, messaged a few examples to them, and now I want to give them a test run of a few tasks/articles/graphics, do I hit "hire freelancer?" Or should I create a separate job that is a one-time thing for the exact "two articles in niche" that I want, and send it to him?

Essentially, I want to send this person work semi-regular work and pay by word. But first, give them an even smaller job to make sure they don't suck. I also don't want to look like I have no clue what I'm doing, which is why I haven't played around with the hire/accept buttons yet.

If I've found someone, messaged a few examples to them, and now I want to give them a test run of a few tasks/articles/graphics, do I hit "hire freelancer?" Or should I create a separate job that is a one-time thing for the exact "two articles in niche" that I want, and send it to him?
You can click "hire freelancer" BUT when clicking it, make sure to select keep the job open so it doesn't close it, and you can keep getting people to apply for it. You can hire multiple people for a project.

Or you can just give them a task, but don't officially hire them, just tell them it's a test run. Don't be a cunt but, obviously pay for the test run when they're done.

Moral of the story, don't feel pressured to "Hire the freelancer" because I never do, I only do when I know I want them to do a job.

Side note: If it's a time sensitive task, definetly hire them so their accountable for the job, and you can leave feedback (Which they know so they won't fuck you around).

Reactions: Nat
Or you can just give them a task, but don't officially hire them, just tell them it's a test run. Don't be a cunt but, obviously pay for the test run when they're done.

Would the payment be sent through UpWork? Or something we would work out through the messaging system?

Would the payment be sent through UpWork? Or something we would work out through the messaging system?
You can send an offer directly to the freelancer after they do the work for you. This will be done using the hire the freelancer button. You'll click that, then enter the amount $, add in the job desc / task, send the offer. They'll accept it, you can close it right after (provided this was a test run and the works been done).
Keep in mind the min is $5USD.

I've been using Upwork & others like it for years. 2 tips that might help. 1: always divide a task between 3 or 4 VAs and then choose the best two & try to build a longer term relationship with them. 2: when you find good VAs, pay them bonuses. I also find its more productive to have them based in my time zone so I can chat with them during my work day in Slack or Asana.

When you click hire, send money into an escrow, and the worker declines the offer... what happens? I don't see a balance and I didn't see a refund notification? Does it just take time?

I've been using Upwork & others like it for years. 2 tips that might help. 1: always divide a task between 3 or 4 VAs and then choose the best two & try to build a longer term relationship with them. 2: when you find good VAs, pay them bonuses. I also find its more productive to have them based in my time zone so I can chat with them during my work day in Slack or Asana.

Good advice. I'm going to bonus one girl when she finishes. But, I also low-balled her a bit in the beginning. So, she deserves it.... but I was also planning on bonuses for this very reason.

When you click hire, send money into an escrow, and the worker declines the offer... what happens? I don't see a balance and I didn't see a refund notification? Does it just take time?

Yes it can take a while, the worker has to approve it or it goes into arbitration which takes a little longer. I had it happen a couple of times but resolved itself in time.

Once you trust the worker more, ask them to work for you directly and get paid via paypal. This is an instant 20% pay-rise for them as that's what Upwork charges them (crazy it was 10% a year ago).

Difficulties that may arise is countries like Pakistan don't allow Paypal for some reason.

Another dumb question Im hoping someone can answer @Michael @FrankCertain @phartso

Someone messed up on a one-time job, completed most of it, and sent me a "requesting payment" for less than I had in escrow for their job. Now the leftover escrow $ is in "remaining." Will it be refunded back to my PayPal if I hit end contract? I didn't realize the contact was still open since I was paying by job and paid already.

All my refunds have ended back in my PayPal account automatically. End the contract and you should see the difference in your PayPal balance soon.

Back