Launching a PPC (Bing+Adwords) campaign based on SEO metrics

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
I want to begin running Adwords/Bing to my search driven site.

I found the value pr. visitor (search) on each page. Page -> Commissions/Visitors.

That gave me 3 pages, where I thought it could be really valuable, where my visitor value was >$1, and where I didn't rank in top 3 for the keywords.

I will create individual landing pages for these pages. Probably make them similar, but do some other stuff such as remove menulinks / inlinks etc, to keep them on the page.

I will track my conversions by using parameters for Ads and Keywords in the url, then grab it with a session variable in a separate PHP redirect file.

Could I drop a Facebook retargeting pixel?

The only issue, well, I checked Adwords for one of those keywords, it's about 3x my visitor value as suggested by Google (not calculating page score and all that). Well, I do not intend to be discouraged by this. I also have time of conversion data and keywords to filter and all such things to bring down the gap.

What do you think about my plan?

I would definitely recommend doing a Facebook retargeting pixel. You'll be able to create custom audiences that you can also then market to on Facebook.

Don't be discouraged by visitor value from Google. That doesn't mean a lot when you are dropping someone right onto a sales page, which could be a lot different in terms of value. Are you selling a physical profit or is it just an affiliate? If it's an affiliate (which is what I presume based off you mentioning commission) then it just comes down to you spending less money than you make.

Long tail keywords are great to start out with. You don't have to go fully hardcore into it. Just start small with some cheaper keywords that have some intent behind them like "_____ product reviews" or what have you. You can then bootstrap it, plow all the profit back into advertising.

Also, CPC data is normally given to you but the true cost can be much lower based on what you are bidding. Like, the cost you see is generally for the 1st spot from what I see, but you can pay much less if you want to be in the 3rd spot or lower. It's just a general number - you probably won't be paying exactly that.

Everything else sounds good to me, you've definitely done your research.

I got my offline tracking set up now.

For those interested, I hacked my link management / price scraping plugin, to get the http referrer and if it includes a gclid, then grab that and add as a UID in the link concatenation phase of the plugin. Then I just have to get my sales from my network api's and check for gclids in the UIDs, then upload to a Google Sheet and schedule an auto-import.

That said, anyone have any pointers to begin this operation?

I plan on running ads on my SEO pages, which is why I set it up like this. Mainly it's to save time to experiment, so I don't have to do 50+ landing pages.

I agree with what Tiberian said.
Also I find that different market sectors, or prospect groups react differently to adwords.
Quality score can also be random at times as well. You set up what you think is a great page and google thinks it sucks. I have groups where my best converting pages are 2 or 3/10. For years!

All I do is track conversions, don't care less about anything else. Be it filling a form, buying or email signup.
I keep things as simple as possible, I find google gives me all the info i need.
Keep experimenting, try using your money pages. budget the cost of a few hundred dollars to refine the campaigns over a month or two.

Back