Keyword Research and Competition Analysis?

Degree
Can someone point me to a resource/info on basic guidelines for finding profitable keywords and competition analysis.
For local or national SEO.

Thanks.

Check out:
http://www.nichepursuits.com/how-to-perform-keyword-research-nsp-2-coaching-call-2/

It's not particularly about local, though. Also beware, he promotes his keyword tool as the best keyword tool out there, but the Google KWP is just fine.

Good old manual competition analysis is always better than using a tool. That means you search for X term, run the top 10 results through ahrefs and check the backlinks. Also assess the page for relevancy. A giant aggregator-type site, that just has a one-off article on X topic, might still be easy to outrank if you become a definitive source for that particular keyword.

If you have a case where a bunch of "SEOers" are competing in the niche you're gonna have to plan on going all out. And as an "SEO" beginner it's best to stay away from those niches. Also, a good sign to look for are forum posts/ answers type sites hitting page one.

Of course, "difficult" niches no longer exist if you implement the Traffic Leaks methodology :wink: . As a matter of fact, "difficult" niches suddenly become easier, because you know for certain there is a large market and lots of money to be made!

One thing I've always heard that makes sense to me is to come up with a list of ideas like we all do. That tends to get us the same list of keywords everyone else gets and thinks of as well.

So you take those key ideas you're playing with and find alternate ways of stating them or asking the question. Then you can sneak in and find highly searched terms that other marketers aren't considering. EMDs are easier to find if you still do that too.

There is three type of keywords I always search for:

Buying and reviews keywords: anything that is related to ( buy, sell, review, price, low price, alternative)

Partially closers keywords: these ones are related mostly to the psychology of the buyer, these needs a bit of time to find and understand them well they also call them, answers keywords. Mostly they're long-tail keywords with an answer included in them for example, "how to lose weight" isn't our answer but if we reformulate this one we can have a buyer,"how to lose 5lb in five days" this one could be 50% a selling key that no one use in their keywords schema, this is just an example there is a complex concept to find those ones it takes some market research to find them.

Straight closers keywords: these one are three time deeper than the partially keywords, they call them the golden keys, cause they sell stuff 70%-90% rate of success, these the prospect already knows a lot of information about the price, quality, differences, pros and cons... They just want you to told them that they reach the right place to buy that product or service. Example "PS4 350$ special discount" or "canon 70d dslr" the only problem here is, your page most convince them that they have put their feet in the right place, a bit of convening or persuasion maybe you make him trust you with a guarantee or such.

I'm a fan of www.termexplorer.com to find a bunch of keywords on a topic. I then sort through them and run top SERPs for those keywords. I've found that with our without the help of tools, looking at the SERPs for keywords is how I can best start to gauge competition.

Also consider your monetization method when choosing kw's. There are different aspects to consider with each monetization method.
With an affiliate you maybe able to get a way with a keyword that has less search volume than a site that going to monetize ad space

Also take a look at KeywordSnatcher and KeywordShitter, I use this with TermExplorer and it this is enough tools to grab a whole load of juicy keywords.

Everyone here pretty much hit the nail on the head with answering your questions about keyword research but I can tell you what worked for me as far as finding a niche/industry to start in. Visit sites like flippa and other common site marketplaces and see what sites are making what and being sold far. Start your research there and continue.

Back