John Mueller Implies That Some TLD's Might Be Cursed

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Back in the day there was the question of which TLD's are wise to use. Like at one point when .info domains were 99¢ each everyone and their mother used them to spam. There was something back then that was indicating to us that those domains simply don't perform well. You'd rarely see them ranking (to this day, I feel like that's the case).

But there was always anecdotal crap like once I ranked first page using ALN (if anyone remember that, that was some crazy times) for a credit card term using a .info. So it was always up in the air.

Yesterday, John Mueller implied on Reddit that we should avoid "super-cheap and over-run with spam" TLD's. He "would not pick them."

The reason I point this out is the same reason those on that thread and in other places are, which is because I recall Google implying that a TLD couldn't carry a stain. This is an entire level above the domain itself and is out of your control. What does what other people do with a TLD have anything to do with you? Then again, Google is the one having to find ways to fight spam.

Just food for thought. I worry not only about .info and .xyz and all that but also ones like .kitchen and .pizza and .ninja or whatever. I never see those ranking.

Back