Jim Leaving Income School

Degree
While announced to members a while back, a recent YouTube video release confirmed Jim is leaving Income School.

It's an interesting turn of events. Jim's had several extemely successful, long term niche sites. However, Ricky had a failed security site and a cabin in the woods site that was making less than $100/month at the one year mark (subsequently rolled into a site that Jim started that was a success). From the perspective of non-member of Income School, Ricky is an unproven entity.

It also seems like Jim is working on a firearms related YouTube channel. If YT policies change or advertising policies about firearms too, that could come to a screeching halt. Seems risky.

Thoughts?

I didn't know that about Ricky and Jim and how different it was with their sites.

It's important to realise that working as a team doesn't mean you have to be equally good at stuff.

That's why you have a CFO, CEO, CTO etc.

An accountant CFO would never be able to create a software SAAS, but without a CFO, that SaaS will not become a huge company.

Maybe Ricky is really good at managing people and running all the other stuff.

It will definitely be interesting to see what Jim does, he talks about turning Backfire into more of a men's lifestyle site, with everything from relationship advice to politics.

I could see him being successful at that.

Yeah, Ricky is not convincing as far as his record goes for his own sites. But he had/has (haven't watched them in a long while) something that Jim didn't - a kind of loveable, cuddly charm. Ricky was slightly bumbling but determined, while Jim gave me - not the nicest way to put it, but - "cold-blooded Mormon" vibes. Competent, but ruthless in his own Mormon way.
The two of them together was their brand - the everyday bros, good buddies, from Middle America who like dirt bikes and whatever and figured out how to make big money from that by making sites about those topics. Both of them alone is a tough sell.
Although I'm guessing both have more than enough to retire and live comfortably even if their respective ventures don't work out.

I've never been an avid viewer of these gentleman but from what I've seen/learned, Jim is more entrepreneurial than Ricky. He's the one who had the photography website and I believe he's the one who originally wanted to create Income School. It's a little surprising that he's packing it in seeing as Income School has been cruising along very well over the past 1-2 years, but I would imagine it's become a very boring process for Jim to go into the office each day and talk about blogging while not being able to go full-tilt with his personal projects. I guess it gets to a point where mailing it in for money isn't enough.

I visit their channel a couple times a month because they are generously transparent with so much of what they work on, and I actually believe the success stories from interviewed course members.

I think Ricky will do fine, he shares knowledge, and with hits/misses, that is inevitable with Google, not everything can be an organic prom queen.

All that said I really hope they keep chugging along, not a lot of people sharing domains these days, at least not that I'm aware of, and it's kept me motivated as I perpetually look myself in the mirror and question reality.

Im not part of P24. is there a link to the Podcast anouncement?

They bought one of my sites several years ago and did a show on it. It was cool. They said my content was really good.

I learnt a lot just last year by going through lots of the IS YouTube content.

I felt like majority of this quality came straight from Jim. Perhaps he was just the better communicator of the two, which seems right, but yeah I wonder about quality going forward.

I think we might just see a lot more of the understudies on the channel, the subordinates inside IS that have learned a lot and become pro’s (in their method) themselves…

I bought the course from income school, and all the modules about keywords research are completed by Jim, and which is awesome, hope income will make more courses suitable for the newcomer.

The video is posted at the top of this thread.
I saw that on YouTube. but it was a few days before that, I heard people talking about the split. They said that Jim & Rickey broke the news on their podcast first. So I assume maybe it's behind the P24 paywall?

I bought the course from income school, and all the modules about keywords research are completed by Jim, and which is awesome, hope income will make more courses suitable for the newcomer.

Do you like the course?

It also seems like Jim is working on a firearms related YouTube channel. If YT policies change or advertising policies about firearms too, that could come to a screeching halt. Seems risky.

Thoughts?
It was started as a hunting & firearm focused channel/site but he more recently said that he'd like to morph it into a broader men's site. I assume something along the lines of Art of Manliness, but time will tell!

I didn't know that about Ricky and Jim and how different it was with their sites.

It's important to realise that working as a team doesn't mean you have to be equally good at stuff.

That's why you have a CFO, CEO, CTO etc.

An accountant CFO would never be able to create a software SAAS, but without a CFO, that SaaS will not become a huge company.

Maybe Ricky is really good at managing people and running all the other stuff.

It will definitely be interesting to see what Jim does, he talks about turning Backfire into more of a men's lifestyle site, with everything from relationship advice to politics.

I could see him being successful at that.
Yeah, I would like to see what he does. I think backfire tv does put you him a corner for branching out.

Yeah, I would like to see what he does. I think backfire tv does put you him a corner for branching out.
I assume something along the lines of Art of Manliness, but time will tell!

I think more of indirect christian, wholesome, kind of content, but I could be wrong. Just a hunch.

I watched that video he did with his wife about working together in business as a couple and I could see that kind of content being quite popular with the kind of people who buy guns.

Wishing the remaining Income School team all the best with the transition. I'm sure they'll be absolutely fine, they're in a good place for success.

Back