Jack Conte of Patreon on "The Death of the Follower" - SXSW 2024 Keynote

Degree
I went to SXSW but I didn't attend this keynote. My buddy sent it to me earlier today after we were discussing challenges in the music industry and on social media. Jack Conte of Patreon started his career posting music during the early days of YouTube, blew up, got rich, started Patreon, now is a CEO. He shares his experience during the evolution of the internet, up to today, as well as his thoughts on the future.

A lot of the things he discusses are relevant to anyone running a digital business. I thought some of you might find it interesting and/or inspiring.

Slight Patreon ad but he doesn't lean into it too hard. The most interesting part to me starts around 22:30, after he discusses the introduction of "ranking" on social media and the push of major social platforms towards "reach" rather than a core group of fans or subscribers like the early days.

The "shift" we are facing on the internet, which he says is the 4th shift since the 90s. He calls it the "Death of the Follower," which is interesting. According to Jack, we had Web 1.0, Web 2.0, "Ranking," and now "The Death of the Follower."

And yes, I'm still reading the digital strategy crash course (which is fucking awesome, BTW).

Back