Is there a way to find the source of organic facebook traffic?

Degree
One of my sites got over 50 visitors from Facebook in less than an hour this week. I hadn't done any leaks on FB (for this page) and this site is only a few months old so it was a nice surprise. Now that I think about it, I haven't even created a FB page yet. I'm wondering if there is a way to search for exactly where it came from to see if it was shared in a group that I can leverage in the future.

When I search the URL it shows up and shows the number of shares. I'm not sure if there is a way to see more info than that though.

I've personally stayed away from Facebook and much social but clearly need to start using it more for traffic.

I ran into this same situation a few months back. From what I gathered, there wasn't a way to find the source.

Hopefully someone else knows. Congrats on your new traffic source tho.

Not sure if this will give any helpful info (I've never used it for the reason you mentioned), however, might as well give it a shot. Input the url into the Facebook debugger, maybe it will give you a clue or point you in the right direction.

I've tried in Google Analytics. You can usually add a dimension or whatever, and under Behavior there's one for Full URL Referrer (I think it's called). Doesn't work for Facebook.

Best I've been able to do is search on Facebook for my site and find the new activity. You'll be able to tell what's sending the traffic based on the engagement like comments and reactions.

The Facebook post might get indexed so try Googling the title of your article in a few days.

Thanks for all the replies. I tried the debugger but that only had the # of shares, likes, etc so far. I'll try it again in a few days and see if its indexed in Google by then too.
Thanks

Back