Is there a good basic web design course that focuses on aesthetics?

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
Like one of those Codeacademy courses that I took to begin learning Python.

I want to learn the basics of web aesthetics. Colors, proportions, all that stuff.

With the goal of being able to properly describe to freelancers what I want done.

Skillshare is highly recommended. Lindsay Marsh teaches an outstanding UX/UI overview. She practices what she preaches with her presentations. Im taking UX Design Process and Theory right now and its a pleasure.

You can always go and browse Dribbble to get inspired by pretty design and the artistic side of things.

But I'm with @Asad in that that isn't what you want to focus on. I mean, we should all acquire a decent enough sense for color balance, proportionality, white space usage, etc. But what matters is, first and foremost, conversion rates. Then user experience in the interface.

CXL has some free courses (and paid), none of which I've done, but that's what you're asking for.

In my opinion, the most useful resource in existence for this stuff is GoodUI.org. It used to all be free and easily viewable but it looks like they've gone paid. But just the 75 Ideas on the homepage (click see more after #40) as you scroll are worth a lot of money and are free. I can't emphasize how good of a resource just these 75 ideas are. I have not paid to see the rest, but saw plenty over the years when it was free.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am working through them one at a time.

They're all very usefull.

Currently working with this one, very simple to implement and will definitely make things look better.

@bernard
Not exactly web aesthetics, but you should really check out Nick Kolenda's website too he has free guides about color psychology, CRO, copywriting and much more.

I've implemented quite a few things from the CRO page and my conversions improved 20-30%.
Here is the link for that page: https://www.nickkolenda.com/conversion-optimization-psychology/

I'm not really a guy who likes to pay for courses, but I will buy his courses because he offers a lot of value for free. Hopefully, the courses are good too.

Back