Is the Wordpress Default Font Too Small? What's the Good Typography Recommendation?

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
Is the Wordpress standard font too small?

I think so. There are easier fonts to read too.

I changed it to 20px on a gut feeling, might even go higher to 21 or 22.

I've noticed a new "low quality indicator" for me, are walls of text with small font online. It really turns me off. On the other hand, larger font sizes, optimized for reading (no sidebar, good line spacing etc), makes things pop and feel comfortable.

I also don't like the standard Arial font, but don't know which to replace it with. Should be a Sans Serif from what I gather about typeface psychology.

Is the Wordpress standard font too small?
Are you referring to the default wordpress theme? Because there isn't a standard wordpress font size, It's dependent on your theme. Don't like the size, increase it with CSS. Also, too small for what? If you have a site geared towards senior citizens you may need to crank those font sizes so they can read it. Really depends on your needs and your audience.

Edit: Is there an actual font? I may be mistaken.

I also don't like the standard Arial font, but don't know which to replace it with. Should be a Sans Serif from what I gather about typeface psychology.

Sans serif fonts are a safe choice. That combined with the other things you mentioned will make your pages more likely to be read.

Should be a Sans Serif from what I gather about typeface psychology.

I tend to go with around 18px and a 1.7 line-height on sans-serif font. I spent an absurd amount of time reading up about typography for the internet at one point and that's what I boiled it down to.

The only other thing to think about is the length of the lines before they break to the next line. You don't want the columns of text too wide either.

I've decided on Roboto 18px for now. Will try the 1.7 line height.

Back