Is my plan silly? I have started a service business and want to use it for authority in the niche

Degree
Hey everyone,

My previous site was a buyers domain focusing on long tail keywords. I sold it after google slapped it this past December. I reached about 3k a month at peak.

Since then I've gotten into a service business with my wife. She works the business with family while I push leads with google local service ads and google ads. My thought on this is, I can publish tons of content related to our niche and I've started to do this. I'd like to make it a monster of a site to bring us leads AND to be an authority that displays products and tips.

Even if I'm only focused on one State - is this a good plan in your opinion? My worry is random people from a state we don't service will start calling our business number for appointments when we only operate here. Perhaps I'm overthinking that aspect.

As an addition to the post the reason I started a service business was realizing how inauthentic I was with my old site. I wasn't IN that niche. Now I'm here, we're doing pretty good and I'm learning a lot to not feel like a charlatan. A dual headed revenue earner that I go all in on is the plan.

Current sales: About 4k a month in revenue
Ad spend: About 1000 a month
Labor expenses: About 1000 a month

Organic traffic: About 30 a month right now(new site no content)

You will become a juggernaut in whatever industry you're in once those out-of-state inquiries start rolling in.

There are similar services in those states, and those companies need customers. You form partnerships and start selling leads to those businesses.

Buy an iPhone, make it the business phone.
Pass it around and answer it.
Voice mails are for pussies.
If you can’t do the project attempt to broker it legally.
Congratulations on the decision to do something useful. The community members that I’ve seen absolutely blow up all started with some variation of where you are now.

You will become a juggernaut in whatever industry you're in once those out-of-state inquiries start rolling in.

There are similar services in those states, and those companies need customers. You form partnerships and start selling leads to those businesses.
I'm not sure why I never even thought of lead-gen but that's definitely a great idea. I can't like comments yet but I would if I could.

Right now we're going after long-tail keywords to try and mimic the traffic building success I had in the past. Then hopefully we'll build up to those money keywords that bring in leads. Working my full-time job as well - anything over living expenses goes into content and local lead services.

Buy an iPhone, make it the business phone.
Pass it around and answer it.
Voice mails are for pussies.
If you can’t do the project attempt to broker it legally.
Congratulations on the decision to do something useful. The community members that I’ve seen absolutely blow up all started with some variation of where you are now.
If you're the guy who made kwshitt*r, it has helped me before. Thank you for the words of encouragement.

I'd love to have affiliate income, content income, and regular income from the service business on the ground coming in. My big lesson before was not to rely on one source(affiliate). Blew me out of the water and right back into the work force.

You and I are on a very similar but different journey. I am only currently licensed in one state but will be licensed in about 10 to 15 more within the next month.

I too want to become an authority in my niche. I already am an authority, but nobody knows it. LOL! Seriously! I have written two books on the subject, have written articles in both national (niche) and local publications, been interviewed locally on TV / radio, and provide continuing education to others in the real estate / financial niches. The purpose of becoming the authority in the niche is because I want to generate more leads for myself.

The suggestions you are getting are spot on, especially the lead gen aspect of it. Setting up a system to screen the leads and then route them to lead buyers should be relatively easy and it more than likely could be 100% automated.

The main thing that is stopping me at this point is legal / compliance. I am hoping to hear within the next week or so if corporate will allow me to have a Youtube channel, set up social media, promote my book and have access to my corporate website so I can add my own content. If I can get approval for that stuff, it's off to the races. My sales manager is fighting hard for me to be able to do those things and he is feeling confident that they will allow me to do them.

I wish you the best of luck. Also, check out Marcus Sheridan, pretty interesting stuff for anyone wanting to grow a niche content site.

Back