Is Logic actually worth it? What digital production software would you plug?

secretagentdad

Keyword Shitter is better than your keyword tool
BuSo Pro
Degree
Is it even worth buying logic or something if I'm just looking to mix some audio for some cut rate commercials?

Been playing with garage band and its not only easy but kinda fun. The virtual instruments are kinda crazy good on average.
Been doing audio on the mac then transferring to mixcraft on a windows laptop to merge it all together.

I'm sure there is a better way to do things just not really convinced that reading a bunch of montage articles from affiliates is gonna help me identify whats good.

Anything thats absolutely worth spending money on?

The gear heads like to rant at me about how great Ableton and Pro tools are but they kinda intimidate me.

This is a tough question to answer because DAWs are a lot like SEO tools: everyone swears by the one they use.

For instance, I've been using FL Studio since around 2007 when it was still Fruity Loops. Started with a cracked version in high school before paying for the producer edition almost a decade ago. It's what I recommend to people because it's what I use. Lifetime updates for $200 ~10 years ago, that's worth it to me.

Any DAW works nowadays and the days of the "industry standard" elitism has been flattened. Pro Tools used to be the bee's knees and anyone who didn't use FL Studio would shit on FL Studio. I used to have Pro Tools when it required physical hardware to work (it still might, IDK). Really did a no better job than FL or Adobe Audition, but that may have been user inexperience...

Is Logic worth it? If it makes your workflow easier. All-in-one creation and mixing on your Mac. Plus there are so many tutorials out for it you should have no trouble figuring out what you need it to do.

Source: former bedroom beatmaker & resident barracks recording studio

Garageband is Logic Pro lite. It sounds like that's all you need. They work exactly the same. There's not much you can't get done in one that you can't do in the other, nothing that you're likely to encounter.

I use Logic Pro X and the only reason you need anything that hefty is if you're doing full-on music or film audio production, which I used to be involved in. Every Youtube video that I've needed I've done in iMovie since then, though you do get a lil shafted on the audio side. Garageband fills that gap perfectly without blowing a ton on Logic Pro.

I use Reaper. It's insanely powerful and customizable. The trial is fully functional and the price is right. I went ahead and bought it because it's worth it to me. After using Reaper for a few hours I quickly realized that Pro Tools is pretty much overpriced hype and not any better in my opinion. I'd say use whatever works that gives you the results you want but NEVER settle for "gets the job done" if you want great results (applies to many things). https://www.reaper.fm/

ok I dunno if I'm gonna buy reaper but you just ruined my productivity for months.

Looks like they have some absolutely amazing discussion forums with tons of great content.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm actually really annoyed with garage band now that I got back into it.
A lot of the pitch customization stuff got reworked to be more idiot proof and allow next to no control. (or I just don't know where they moved it lol)

Seems like they removed functionality to try and push Logic sales.

Looks like they have some absolutely amazing discussion forums with tons of great content.
There are a ton of real pros out there dropping all kinds of "one simple trick" stuff that makes life a lot easier. I'm thinking of using Reaper for live performance as a VST host and also for the midi stuff to trigger effects, lights, pyrotechnics (hey it's a show), etc.

Ableton Live 10 is essentially a hybrid DAW and digital instrument. It's meant to integrate into live performances, so you have a ton of unique options for recording instruments, sampling, live performances, and arranging / editing.

I started on it maybe 6 weeks ago and am fully up to speed on everything I want to do at this point. Most of it is intuitive if you've ever seen a DAW before.

https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/live/

ughhhh
I dont want the answer to be ableton.
But it looks like it is.

Virtual instrument quality and quantity and ease of use really is the most important feature to me.

Still reading reaper forums though. Found a lot of useful stuff you can use with any old daw.

Anyone see any good discounts in this space for black friday?

ughhhh
I dont want the answer to be ableton.
But it looks like it is.

Virtual instrument quality and quantity and ease of use really is the most important feature to me.

Still reading reaper forums though. Found a lot of useful stuff you can use with any old daw.

Anyone see any good discounts in this space for black friday?

Yup... just grabbed this home studio course for half off: https://www.myrecordingrevolution.com/thr-bf2020

Back