Is it better to get links from Group 1, or Group 2?

Sutra

Investor and Business Mentor
BuSo Pro
Degree
Say this is the scenario:

Website Group 1
  • There are 10 websites, each with a domain authority of 70+
  • On scale of 1 to 10, in relevance to my site (10 being most relevant), each of them is around 6.5 relevancy
  • I already have 1 backlink from each of these sites

Website Group 2
  • An opportunity exists to get backlinks from 15 - 20 sites completely separate from group 1
  • Each of these sites are around 25 domain authority
  • On the relevancy scale, each of them are 9.5
  • I do not have backlinks from any of the sites in this group

Would it be better to get another backlink from each of the websites in group 1, or would it be better to get one backlink from each of the sites in group 2?

Of course, it's best to get links from ALL, but in this scenario let's say it's one or the other.

I'd rather have the diversity from group 2 instead of more of the same that you'd get with group 1. The only way I'd change my mind was if the relevancy of group 2 was much lower.

Last edited:
I'd choose Group 2:
  • Higher Relevancy
  • 25 More Referring Domains (instead of zero)
  • Decent DA
Most sites can get indexed and have all the stat sites and Alexa scrapers boost you to about 14 DA with zero actual work. That's your real DA Zero. To jump to 25 means there's some actual links flowing about.

I'd choose Group 2 if the goal is to boost your entire domain. If your targeting specific pages, I'd probably still go for Group 2 but Group 1 would be tempting. This is assuming it's all contextual links and do-follow.

Definatly group 2 the higher relevancy outweighs the DA, and remember as @Ryuzaki implied DA as easily manipulated, in my oppinion and experience relevancy always prevails against DA that is in the eyes of the search enginees, fact is DA is a metric invented by MOZ to try to replace PR, and there where two reasons why google got rid of PR 1. the patent was expiering and 2. the whole PR system had fundemental flaws that could easily be manipulated.

Yeah the guys going relevancy are 100% right. Clients still ask for DA X+ and DR (AHREFS X+) links. I think part of that is because low quality link vendors would just ship rubbish given half the chance, so I don't blame them for wanting a third party score to 'qualify' for payment. However. For my own projects idgaf. I want relevant links from the niche on real sites, given editorially. Sniff test passed. Relevancy passed. Win.

Thanks all for the info. Definitely helps. Gonna get me those relevant links.

When linking to relevant domain even if the metrics are low you will benefit more. Now if some of them have the keyword in the domain or geolocation in the domain (if doing local) you are golden.

I'd stick with relevancy if you were getting links for the same URL. However, to speak from another side, if you were building links for a different page on your site, it might not hurt to got for group one since you have those set of links pointing to a different page.

Back