Introductions Thread

+10 internet points for anyone who gets the reference.

What's up. I'm the new guy... and this is the 300th message ever on the forum. Happy to get my foot in the door. I'm an affiliate marketer. Always looking for great offers to promote. Also looking forward to sharing my knowledge with the community and picking up a few new tricks in the meantime as well.

I love how you guys require a few posts in this section before people can start posting elsewhere. It seems like it would keep things very well organized. I just wanted to point that out.

Full disclosure: It's late at night here but I want to reply to a thread in the main section before I fall asleep so I'm kind of cheating by creating this thread. Forgive me, I promise I'll come back to the newbie section when I'm smart enough to answer questions!!

Hey guys. I hope I don't regret naming myself after a Katy Perry song LOL. What's your policy on changing usernames? I've just had this stupid song stuck in my head.

Anyways, I found this place in google believe it or not. I don't really do "the forum thing" but I like the vibe here so figured "wtf may as well join."

Some of you may know me, those that don't will soon know me. I hail from the Ancient times, before the Google, before the Facebook, I roamed the net. My passion is programming and marketing - online and offline. My knowledge comes from traditional marketing mindsets - all driven by data.

In June, my business partner and I launched SERPWoo to the world to bring a new tool to the SEO world that would change they way SEOs understand the SERPs - we've continued to develop and improve up the tool even as we are still in beta, and have had notable reviews by some major known industry leaders.

If you do know me, you probably know me for my Traffic Leak methodology or Big Brand philosophy of designing websites.

My philosophy on marketing stems from the root thought that all new ideas can only be formed by sharing. Creativity just doesn't happen in a bubble, it happens by being influenced by others and seeing what's working for competitors or other industries and then asking yourself 'how can I apply this to my situation'.

That mindset has allowed me to get to the level I'm at, and I want to help others grow and therefore help me achieve a higher level by bouncing ideas and thoughts off new friends.

I hope I can contribute positively and help those that want to take their marketing to the next level.

- CCarter (Follow me on twitter: @MercenaryCarter

Holy shit, CCarter is here?! Well shit, I guess I picked the right forum to check out today didn't I. You don't know me, but I love your blog. /end HJ.

BTW... the "FINAL" intro... what does that mean...?

Hey Bubbles, where are Ricky and Julian? LOL

Last edited:
"The Final Intro" as in this feels like this will be my final resting place. I've spent a lot of time jumping around from forum to forum only to be disappointed by the vision or lack of vision for what could be a great marketing forum overall - I think what's going on here might be finally it.

I've got SERPWoo and it's coming forum, but overall it'll be centered around SERPs, and marketing, but I still need a home away from home, so I want this to be my final spot - if not this - well I feel like CCarter will simply cease to have a digital form and dissipate into the Aether or become a mythical figure roming like a rōnin through the astral plane.

Glad you see something special in this place, I do too. Welcome to the forum, MercenaryCarter.

Thanks, I really feel like this is home. It's strange, it's like I've been looking for exactly this for a long long time, feels like when you come from a long journey and arrive in your bed and plop down and go to sleep. Finally home man...

New here... Looks like a great place. I can't wait to help answer some questions and drop some supreme knowledge in The Lab.

I'm new here too and I get what you're saying about this place having a very "home" feel to it.

It feels like the admin has actually put a lot of thought into it rather than just installing some free forum software, adding a bunch of areas and calling it a day. Nice work admin.

Race ya to 1,000 posts...!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that's kind of ominous, what's the context there?

LOL, it was the "Google Pray" episode of "This Week In Google" episode #248. They were talking about how they were getting nasty emails from people that spammed their forum in the past, then the former spammers started sending out emails asking to take down the link to websites which they spammed.

And some of the emails were pretty nasty like "I'd hate to report this to Google or disavow them." That's when Matt Cutts came in with that.

Cutts happened to be the guest for that episode so they wanted to ask him a question about not responding to webmasters who threaten to disavow or go to Google if their demand of taking down links that they spammed their forums with were not met.

twit.tv/show/this-week-in-google/248

^^ starts at 4:15 in the video.

BIGdCPA, Please tone down the aggression. There's very little reason for it. We're just trying to be friendly here.

Tiddlywinx, welcome aboard. Can you tell us a little about yourself? Who you are and what kind of work you do or want to do online? We're glad to have you :smile:

My name is TeddyP, but you can call me JuicyJ if you want :wink: *rawr*

CCarter! I've seen you all over the internet. Glad to have you around :smile: We are in for a treat.

I'm not sure if I should laugh or be scared... You never know with these propaganda people.

Bubbles, glad to have you on the forum. Can't wait for you to share some of those nuggets of knowledge :smile:

Hey I'm Jay and I'm from Toronto (duh).

Before TeddyP asks me to share more about what I do and all that... I would rather not, yet :smile: I'm a private person. But I'm looking forward to joining the discussions here and absorbing as much as I can like a big ole sponge.

Wsup fellow Toronto-dweller here, we're takin' over!

I started looking into making websites when a certain plant started to become legal in a few states. I'm from Canada, but I still want to find ways to take advantage of the impending goldrush once this goes global. I'm looking to build some long term properties that I can eventually "branch out" into other things, maybe ecommerce, or just info sites, who knows?

Anyways I'm trying to find some good domains but it seems like everyone else had the same idea as me.

There's my intro.

Peace

Typical story... used to do SEO, got creamed by Noah's Ark, got into media buying and now my life isn't miserable.

Sooo let's see. I've been at this a few years. Finally settled into the adult niche... fun stuff. Not really. It's overrated. But it pays the bills. Looking to network if anyone has / needs any great offers.

Used to spend some summers up in Northern Ontario and would pass through Toronto and spend a day or two, Korea Town is always a blast!

When I'm not chillin in Tristram, you can find ya boy DC in the digital mines, panning for gold.

I own a pretty popular Diablo website (I don't want to reveal which one...) but it's been around since D2. I'm just a big fan of the game, and things really started to pick up around the launch of diablo 3 because the community put together a ton of great pre-launch and post-launch content that really put us on the map.

Anyways, it's a great project but I might sell it soon (Or give over control to a couple of longtime members who did a lot to grow it, and collect a %... still in talks with an accountant and lawyer to see if that's even practical at all.)

I'm here to learn, to lurk, and to find out what my next project will be.

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!

9QWC7UY.jpg

Bit of a missed opportunity that it doesn't say "do ROO even lift"...

(Any other Aussie's here? Gold Coast checking in.)

Hi folks. I found this forum last night after seeing the "buildersociety" hashtag left by @MercenaryCarter on twitter. I added a .com and well, here I am :smile:

I have been online since the early 80's, back when BBS systems were in their prime. My main interest has always been coding and music as well as marketing in recent years. I look forward to reading and contributing here. This really looks like my kind of place.

Hey SmokeTree welcome to the Builder Society.

You're clever to have found us the way that you did, and you've been in the game longer than most (if not all) of us, so we're lucky to have you on board.

Sup welcome to the forum. What types of marketing are you into? How long have you been into the marketing side of things? Not trying to be nosy, I just think it's interesting to hear from people who have been online long enough to see trends come and go.

I used to play a LOT of diablo... I bet I've been on your site before. PM me the name? Is it a forum?

Hey hey hey I'm not here to promote my stuff but I'll just say, I make themes for Wordpress and soon a few other things... I might even make some Xenforo themes someday... I will keep it quick because I'm not very interesting but I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here! (When it is time to promote my business... how do I open a thread in the marketplace section?)

I joined only because I saw that you joined. I'm a huge fan of your threads on WF and BHU. I hope you'll do some more here!

LOL it took me a second. I was sitting here going... I know what he means by Noah's Ark, but why is he calling it that. Then it clicked!

I was never really clear on what Media Buying was. Is it just PPC/PPV/Pop Unders/CPM's?

Do you sell your themes on a website or do you do personal builds for people?

LOL I played Diabo 1 on PC and Playstation a LOOOONG time ago. *strummmm* Come, stay a while and listen *strummm* such good music. I play Diablo 3 some now but it's not the same after playing WOW. I like the bigger and broader experience. But I also have a lot of free time. I hear a lot of working class adults are the ones playing diablo 3 now.

Aussiex3, welcome. I just joined too. What kind of IM do you do?

You very well may have been working online longer than I've been alive. That's awesome. I wish I could peek into your brain and download all of your experience.

What coding languages can you speak? I know some HTML, CSS, and I can look at PHP and some others and know what they mean, but I can't type them out from memory.

It'd get more love if you'd say more about yourself. What do you do? What do you like? Tell us moar!

That's the second hobbit screen name I've seen on here lol.

I might try the adult niche when I'm older. Right now I work from my parent's house so there's really no way to make that happen. I doubt it really works the same as when i first discovered it anyways. I bet it's a lot harder now, with all of these pop ups and pop unders that almost get me busted al the time :(

I haven't read through all the other posts yet but I did notice that a lot of people make intro threads so I wanted to do the same.

Hi!

I'm Bber993. I like graphic design (still learning) and writing (always getting better) and marketing (that's what I'm here to learn).

I'm going to poke around the rest of the boards now...

Thanks for the welcome. I've been reading and really like the atmosphere here. As far as online marketing, my passion is mainly in the music industry with a focus on local musicians and bands. I have played as a professional musician in various bands for a bit over 20 years or so and in that time I have amassed quite a few contacts such as venue owners/managers, studio owners/managers, booking agencies, etc. I am currently working on a SAAS project that will hopefully tie all that in as well as give musicians a place to manage their song lists, set lists, gigs including simple accounting functionality such as keeping track of how much each band member makes (who gets what cut), where the band money is going, etc. I also run a few music sites/blogs and use a mixture of different affiliate programs such as adsense, amazon and zzounds with varying levels of success.

I have worked with quite a few programming languages over the years including C, C++, C#, Python, PHP, Ruby, Erlang and Go. I remember when PHP and MySQL was the new hotness and I transitioned to PHP from Perl early on. Since about 2005 or so I have been focusing on Ruby and working with the Rails platform, with my primary interest being in responsive design using Bootstrap and JQuery on the front end.

I'm also a huge fan of the "automate everything within reason" school of thought. I view programming as not only a passion, but a solid investment of time. I feel that everyone would benefit from knowing at least the basics of programming and automation as the time spent automating almost always ends up being far less than the time spent doing things manually.

Again, thanks for the welcome and I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone is doing to build assets and improve their income.

Welcome!

Holy moley, you've got the coding world in the palm of your hand. I started trying to learn Ruby, didn't feel like there was enough resources out there, but I loved the "readability" of the code. I started tinkering with Python and it was still okay. But I feel like ultimately I'd rather just use PHP. It's old, tried and true, can work with MySQL (the go-to database it seems) and works well with front-end display languages like HTML/CSS. Tie in some javascript and jquery and wam bam thank you mam! I realize most all of them do but I'm so used to working with Wordpress now that I figure I should stay within that world. And PHP can still be used for scripting and botting.

I'm Bber993.

You've revealed yourself, Justin Beiber! :smile: Glad to have you around!

I really need to get my Photoshop chops together. I can tinker with text effects and change things that are already designed, but I can't go from the ground up very well yet. Do you know any good resources for that?

What kind of writing are you doing? Copywriting? Kindle fiction, non-fiction?

Do you sell your themes on a website or do you do personal builds for people?

Mostly sell pre-made themes but that leads to some customization work too. I'm working on a theme for people who want to open websites to sell themes.... and guess who's themes will be auto-populated with a simple field to drop in your affiliate link and you're ready to go... :wink:

Wow thanks everyone! I just saw all these replies. Yeah I plan on being here for a while and bringing my marketing perspective to this forum as well! It's time for me to get back to working my ground game. Feels really good to be here...

Back