Interesting non-marketing people centric thread / comments on product round up serps

I don't see how Google will ever be able to differentiate between a "good" review article and a "bad" review article based on the written content on the page. Sure, unique product images could help prove that the product has potentially been tested, but purchasing products for a review article, taking pictures of them, and returning the products is an option- YouTube content creators have been doing this since 2012.

I guess people want to read review articles that don't contain affiliate links so the reviews won't be skewed towards products with the most positive reviews and highest commissions, but then why would anyone write the articles in the first place- to be "nice"? That's what Reddit is best for in my experience- finding unbiased reviews.

It's a search engine at the end of the day. Google returns the most relevant and authoritative results- not results that are subjectively better depending on the opinion of each individual. And I don't think people want more algorithms monitoring their personal browsing habits so they can be delivered more personalized results that do not contain affiliate links.

I think the core problem comes from incentives.

Nobody has a model that encourages an honest review approuch, and anyone that floats capital to do so just gets rewritten and ends up being the sucker who made the original investment.

Thanks for posting those - I have two ideas already off the threads.

Both of those threads read like people who complain about recipe websites. If you don't want all the recipe fluff that comes with ranking on Google, buy a cookbook. If you don't want (and this is coming from the tweets those threads stemmed from) to read product reviews riddled with ads (because fuck the publisher apparently), find a video where the person has the product in front of them. Just make sure you don't click on the affiliate link because they're obviously a shill.

They want to use a free service and complain about it. Dumb.

They want to use a free service and complain about it. Dumb.
I hate this mentality. Paywalls don't work for the same reason. Patreon style subscriptions work a wee-bit because some of us are happy to chip in where we get great value so we can keep getting great value. But so many people want everything for free and still complain about it. The worst is SEO's that monetize with display ads but use an ad blocker in their personal life with no concern about hypocrisy or karma.

Thankfully, all this AI content is going to flood the web and people are going to get so sick of seeing it they'll happily pay for "real" content. I'm thinking it'll get so bad you can't even go to curation sites without all the AI content and bots voting it up and spreading it.

Stuff like Sub-Stack, Patreon, and video content with real people in it are going to become more prevalent than they already are, with big ole marketing funnels becoming even more important to make people aware that your real content even exists in the sea of piss that will be the internet.

Heh.
Hacker news has just been having field days on these topics.
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=29886423

I feel like I'm still learning a little from some of the ranters.
Its just kinda gut theory crafting but I think the rate the sub topics are popping back up in vaguely related threads is indicative of a trend.

I'd like to float the theory that what people are reacting to is the shift towards restrictive indexing more than anything.

Similar vein but about rewriting page titles.
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=30086059

It's a lot higher than 61%. It's more like 85%. Within SW's zora we visit each of the top 100 pages for keywords ran and annotate the difference in title tags for internal reason, soon external, and seen it's usually around 85% of the time.

But guys this has been this high for 6+ years. So how is this news?

What's really new is the shitty results we are getting. I had to go to DuckDuckGoGoGaga for some coding queries. Wild time to be alive.

Back