Incognito Site Users

Degree
Do you know if there is a way to tell how many site users are incognito. I know its hard to track stuff like where they came from etc but I am wondering if we could at least work out what percetage of site users on the site were using incognito? Maybe there was a service that could do this, however, I cant find it

All incognito mode does is not save browse history and cookies for the user. You will still see the user within your website analytics. However if they are a repeat user they will appear to be a new user if your analytics relies on cookies since the cookies get deleted when the they are done with incognito mode.

If you thought the way incognito mode worked was based off of the user being “invisible” - that’s wrong; if that were the case users would be unable to login to SAASes or members areas or even the backend of Wordpress cause cookies are needed for all of this.

Edit: If you specifically need to detect Chrome incoginto: https://stackoverflow.com/questions...nito-mode-in-google-chrome-extension-applicat

Edit2: Firefox doesn’t allow IndexDB in private browsing mode, so you can detect that. Safari doesn’t allow localStorage in private mode, so you can detect that as well with Javascript.

All incognito mode does is not save browse history and cookies for the user. You will still see the user within your website analytics. However if they are a repeat user they will appear to be a new user if your analytics relies on cookies since the cookies get deleted when the they are done with incognito mode.

If you thought the way incognito mode worked was based off of the user being “invisible” - that’s wrong; if that were the case users would be unable to login to SAASes or members areas or even the backend of Wordpress cause cookies are needed for all of this.

Edit: If you specifically need to detect Chrome incoginto: https://stackoverflow.com/questions...nito-mode-in-google-chrome-extension-applicat

Edit2: Firefox doesn’t allow IndexDB in private browsing mode, so you can detect that. Safari doesn’t allow localStorage in private mode, so you can detect that as well with Javascript.
Thanks - I was wondering about if I could see the referrer of the person, I thought if they were incognito they would somehow hide the referrer but from what you said above Im wrong on that and the referrer is still going to be in there..... Thanks

Back