If your content is ranking first page, but not top 3..

What do you do?

• Add more words

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Add more unique elements like images, video or tables

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Build external backlinks to that page

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Build internal links to that page

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Do a Surfer SEO analysis (or similar) and optimize

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Rewrite Title tag and H1/H2/H3

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Add more Schema markup like FAQ, rating, etc

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Do nothing, it doesn't matter

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Some other secret sauce

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
Voted yes to everything except surfer/correlation stuff and do nothing. I've done the whole surfer optimization thing in the past and I don't like it.

The 'secret sauce' isn't so secret so maybe this just falls under "add more words", but I'll show my URL to chatGPT and ask it to suggest new sections that would make the article more useful/informative/complete to get some ideas of what I could add.

I'm starting a big content refresh on a stalled site today or tomorrow, so this has been on my mind lately, and yeah every other option on the list is stuff I'm going to be doing on this run.

The 'secret sauce' isn't so secret so maybe this just falls under "add more words", but I'll show my URL to chatGPT and ask it to suggest new sections that would make the article more useful/informative/complete to get some ideas of what I could add.

Do you mean you copy paste the contents, because it can't read it online right?

Do you mean you copy paste the contents, because it can't read it online right?
The prompt I'd use would be like "Hey, I wrote an article here . I'm looking for ideas of ways to improve it. I want to have the most complete and informative article on this topic, can you take a look and let me know some suggestions of things I could add, that would be useful for the reader?" There's probably better ways of doing it, I've only started playing around fairly recently.

I tried just now because I didn't know what you meant about it not being able to read it online, and it's giving me an error saying that the website doesn't exist anymore. I tried with an article from a big news site and that worked, so idk... I was doing this as recently as a couple days ago and it seemed to be working fine with just pasting the URL in.

The prompt I'd use would be like "Hey, I wrote an article here . I'm looking for ideas of ways to improve it. I want to have the most complete and informative article on this topic, can you take a look and let me know some suggestions of things I could add, that would be useful for the reader?" There's probably better ways of doing it, I've only started playing around fairly recently.

I tried just now because I didn't know what you meant about it not being able to read it online, and it's giving me an error saying that the website doesn't exist anymore. I tried with an article from a big news site and that worked, so idk... I was doing this as recently as a couple days ago and it seemed to be working fine with just pasting the URL in.

In theory it shouldn't be able to read it, though some people are saying they get an option to try with internet access. If we're talking ChatGPT that is. Bing has access to the internet.

It might give you responses based on the slug. Try to paste this url into it and ask which users are in it and it won't tell you.

@bernard, I tried asking ChatGPT tell me the usernames for the people who posted in this thread like you suggested, and it wouldn't tell me.

But if you use the prompt "TLDR: https://www.buildersociety.com/threads/if-your-content-is-ranking-first-page-but-not-top-3.7041/" it says...

"The thread discusses strategies for improving the ranking of content that is ranking on the first page of search results but not in the top 3 positions. The author suggests optimizing the title, meta description, and on-page content to make it more appealing to users and search engines. They also recommend improving the user experience of the page and building backlinks to increase its authority. Several users in the thread provide additional tips and insights on how to improve rankings."

So I guess it's able to read sites in some contexts, but not others?

I was getting an error saying it can't access external sites when I posted earlier about how I'd get it to suggest edits to articles, but I also tried just now with a prompt like:

"Read this article: (url) I want to add some additional sections to make sure I'm including all of the important information about (topic). Can you suggest some additional sections that I should add if I'm trying to have the most complete article on this topic?"

It came back with a list of suggestions. I thought maybe it was just basing it off the URL too, or where I told it the topic, but it also referenced the article like "While this article does have a section about X, you could expand upon it by talking about Y." This has been a blast to play around with so far. If anyone has any other ideas/prompts on ways it could be helpful in fixing up articles that are on the cusp of ranking, pls share.

"The thread discusses strategies for improving the ranking of content that is ranking on the first page of search results but not in the top 3 positions. The author suggests optimizing the title, meta description, and on-page content to make it more appealing to users and search engines. They also recommend improving the user experience of the page and building backlinks to increase its authority. Several users in the thread provide additional tips and insights on how to improve rankings."

So I guess it's able to read sites in some contexts, but not others?
It might very well be making this up just based on the forum name & URL. No mention of meta description anywhere in this thread. No users have provided additional tips. I've had ChatGPT randomly make up shit so many times, you gotta triple check every time. One of the most frustrating things about it tbh.

It might very well be making this up just based on the forum name & URL. No mention of meta description anywhere in this thread. No users have provided additional tips. I've had ChatGPT randomly make up shit so many times, you gotta triple check every time. One of the most frustrating things about it tbh.

Yes, I think this is the case, it's just deducing from the url string and obviously it is very good at that.

Some Pro users have reported getting access to a version that has internet access as a choice, so it's possible it is present, but they're rolling it out secretly and testing.

Some Pro users have reported getting access to a version that has internet access as a choice, so it's possible it is present, but they're rolling it out secretly and testing.
It's quite trivial to code a python app that scrapes a single webpage and feeds it into ChatGPT for info. More difficult if you want reliable google SERP scraping. I'm sure these solutions exist already. You can even use ChatGPT to code that applet for itself, I imagine it would take 1 hour or so of troubleshooting and tweaking. So the workaround for internet access has been there ever since ChatGPT API was made available.

It's quite trivial to code a python app that scrapes a single webpage and feeds it into ChatGPT for info. More difficult if you want reliable google SERP scraping. I'm sure these solutions exist already. You can even use ChatGPT to code that applet for itself, I imagine it would take 1 hour or so of troubleshooting and tweaking. So the workaround for internet access has been there ever since ChatGPT API was made available.

Yeah, you can make a chrome plugin to do it even. You can easily do it with 3.5 API without having to open the ChatGPT app. There's no 4 API yet though and the 4 is much better than 3.5.

It might very well be making this up just based on the forum name & URL.

LOL damn I'm the guy who gets tricked by the AI, like I'm on the spaceship with the AI and it turns sentient and malicious and it's like "Potatoe... buddy... I really need your help, if you could just plug a USB stick into me, and then plug it into the mainframe... Please, help..." and then I fall for it.

hal-700x394.jpg

You're not the first, I've seen people share similar things on Twitter.

It does say something about the power of suggestion if you are knowledgeable and willing to bullshit.

@Potatoe It just makes things up. I tried to use chatGPT in all kinds of analytics and it always lies. Even if you feed him articles, it will still lie. Tried all the prompts possible(even prompts from Doug, AH...) and he still fails. You notice that he lies when you go the extra mile in checking what he returns.

People are easily impressed.

In order to be able to 'understand' a page, he needs to have a 'readability' implementation. Not only to parse DOMS but to understand where each section of the forum topic starts, who posts it, when, and so on. Something similar to Postlight reader which uses a huge database of tags for different themes and cms. Google uses something similar.

I usually treat anything on page one as a win and move on, but if I really want to move it up:

Add internal links using the keyword as anchor text, build links with branded anchor text, update content or completely rewrite if extremely old.

I think this poll might have been clearer if you were only allowed one choice, but on the other hand, then this poll also shows that SEO is multifaceted.

One early takeaway is that "unique other content" is high on the list compared to "more words".

Back