I find myself analyzing marketing wherever I go

built

//
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
Anyone know this feel?

I'll be at the shop, driving in the car it doesn't matter and if I see an ad I'll start thinking about what's wrong with it and how I would do it better.

Yeah, that switch from consumer-mind to producer-mind is wild. It's like the veil of illusion is lifted and you walk out of Plato's Cave into the sunlight, instead of staring at shadows that everyone else thinks is real.

I was baking a pizza the other day and looking at the Digiorno's packaging. They are absolutely killing everyone else in the pre-made pizza game. I was contemplating their slogan:

It's not delivery. It's Digiorno.
It's almost a guarantee that that slogan itself has generated them millions of dollars. That small comparison is so completely loaded with pro's and con's and benefits and all of that.

You don't have to order pizza, it's not cold when it gets here, there's no lottery on if it's going to be made good or not, you don't have to tip anyone. And you don't deal with all of this every time you want a pizza. You can buy as many as your freezer will hold of infinite flavors and cook them to perfection in your own home and it's piping hot right out of the oven.

There's so much intellectual and emotional info loaded into that slogan, and it's as simple as possible. Two nouns, one negating word, and two identifiers (I don't know the real terms, I'm not an English guy).

Yes, I'm with you. It's an interesting mind state to be in.

I'll be at the shop, driving in the car it doesn't matter and if I see an ad I'll start thinking about what's wrong with it and how I would do it better.
That's a good think mate. You'll store subconscious ideas that will appear late on. When my eyes were first opened, I started thinking back to the whole process of XYZ business getting started, what it took, who's involved, just to get a brand at a certain level I can instantly recognize it in the street. You start really appreciating Apple, Google, and other brands and their marketing approaches.

As humans anything we are touching is a product at some level. Unless you are out in the woods sleeping with bears and shit. Even the trees in front of my condo building were bought and planted there. Shit even when the sand starts eroding in my backyard beach they ship in new sand, some weird silicon created shit, that eventually turns into the normal sand "somehow" over time. You can't touch something that's not a product or created by someone else's mind in this society, and at some level a business was created and marketing was done to get that product in front of you and you to use it, touch it, and eventually fall in love with it.

You can't touch something that's not a product or created by someone else's mind in this society

This was exactly my realization when I started coming out of my consumer mindset fog. I started looking around the house and saw so much consumer garbage, I was in awe. Almost immediately, I thought to myself, "This is crazy. This stuff has to go."

I hauled bags and bags of crap out of the house and threw it into the garage to get hauled away when trash day came. I'll never forget, my wife gets home and goes, "Wow! You cleaned the house!" When, in fact, I just removed the junk, clutter, and stuff.

The funny part is, she gets to the garage at some point and flips her lid. "Why are you throwing all this stuff away?! We need it!" After desperately convincing her we didn't, we went threw just about each bag, item by item, and actually looked at the product to see if we truly needed it, or if it was just something extra. Most of the responses between us:

"Why did we buy this again? Haha!"
"Well, we did get this one on a good sale..."
"Woah, look at this, the tag is still on it. Did you ever use this?"
"I don't even remember buying this..."
"Jeez, this was so useless."

We had fallen so deeply into the consumer mindset, we had spent money, quite literally, on complete and utter garbage, some of it 100% because of some flashy commercial, packaging or "90% off!" sale.

I'm still working on her to get rid of her People magazine... I'll check back.

I do the same exact thing. It drives me crazy to see tactics people are using and that some people fall for. Bravo to some of them for getting it to work, but seeing people fall for shady things becomes an annoyance to me.

I always look at ads, and sort of see what brands are doing just by looking at a few things that they've already done as far as marketing efforts go, and can see the tactics they may be trying to use. Everything to me has become marketing ever since I got into it many years ago. Marketing is EVERYWHERE, and it blows my mind. I actually ended up leaving Facebook from my personal account because of the marketing floods everywhere and seeing old friends mindlessly becoming marketing minions for companies without even knowing it.

Sometimes it can be fun to analyze what other companies are doing, and how people are trying to pull you in, but in certain situations it's like, I can't believe people fall for this stuff.

What really drives me crazy is seeing local businesses doing things absolutely wrong. I know its an opportunity to help them, but I don't have much time for that, so it's just crazy to see

Back