How you guys are dealing with Dec 2022 Google Helpful Content Algorithm update?

Degree
After the roll of an update of Google Helpful Content in DEC 2022, many websites have been affected by it.

One of our client's websites too.

Website was on 2nd for a business keyword and now it's on 6th.

We tried updating content, updating internal linking, blog posting, creating high authority links & updating off-page content.

still nothing.

Our blog page has got more clicks which we have updated but the page which was ranking isn't improved.

Also working on EAT to improve it.

Any suggestion?

The Helpful Content Updates are said (by Google) to have a weighted "classifier". This classfier assigns a value to your site, which we can assume is normalized to be 0 through 100.

Let's say you were assigned a value of 70. Your site will remain a 70 until the next update. They've basically said that you can do all the work you want in between the updates and not see any effect, but hopefully if you got the work done in time the improvements will be taken into account in the next update.

This is how Panda, Penguin, and you could even say Core updates work, too. Sounds like you're doing the right things, but you won't get any immediate feedback.

As far as suggestions go, I've collected a ton of items you can improve by doing a fairly simple audit of your site. You can see that here.

Yeah, the kitchen sink method by Ryuzaki is great. Follow that.

In addition, remember that you won't immediately see an improvement after making changes. If you were hit by the Helpful Content System, it may take months for the site to recover.

The below is from Google.

"A natural question some will have is how long will it take for a site to do better, if it removes unhelpful content? Sites identified by this update may find the signal applied to them over a period of months. Our classifier for this update runs continuously, allowing it to monitor newly-launched sites and existing ones. As it determines that the unhelpful content has not returned in the long-term, the classification will no longer apply."

Google is going to monitor how much unhelpful content your website has over a period of time and will remove the penalty over time.

In addition, consider that you may have been hit by the Link Spam update or some unknown update Google released at the same time. You can never be sure with Google. This is why the Kitchen Sink Method is great. You tackle everything possible, thus maximizing your chances of recovery.

Hope that helps.

In addition to all what has been said, some sites also get hit undeservedly. Yours could be one of those. I'd say don't worry about it and keep doing what you've been doing. Give it some months.

Let's say you were assigned a value of 70. Your site will remain a 70 until the next update.
Do you think a complete redesign of the site can reset this before another Core update?
Like changing the theme, restructuring SILO, other design elements etc.

I think theoretically it can be reset but I haven't tested it yet. I'm curious to know others' opinions on this.

Back