How to speed up progress on niche site?

Degree
Alright so, I was wondering if there's a way to get more traffic other than just pumping out more content. I was talking to a few people who do relatively decent and they said it took like 1 year for them to reach 100k page views per month.

I was talking to one guy and he said if you do the method where you go for the ULTRA low comp keywords, you will need like 800 articles or so to hit 100k page views in 1 year. Whereas the approach he took was hitting medium/high comp keywords but by adding different modifiers/hitting them with different angles.

And I was reading a blog of another guy who recommends starting with low comp keywords but also doing a few higher volume keywords so that as your domain ages it might rank it higher since you have stronger topical relevancy.

I was just wondering how you would speed up growth on your site, assuming you got a smaller budget.

I noticed that most people when they built their sites and stuff, it takes them at least 1+ year to make 1k per month but, then there are others who make way more. I personally did most things wrong but was able to make 1k+ in under a year (it's gone now of course cus of mistakes.) since I was promoting higher ticket products.
So I am wondering how come those other people succeeded but, the other people didn't and how I can do better with just a little more effort/more work to earn more in a certain amount of time.

I understand good keyword research, I am planning on buying 50-60 articles this month for one of my sites. (Which would put it at over 100 articles which is pretty good progress as I did most things right on this site from quality, keyword research and relevancy) A lot of these will be like reviews and more buyer-oriented. I am thinking of doing a whole bunch of buyer-oriented content so that I can make money quicker from this site and scale it harder with display ads. But, apart from this, I don't know how I can make more money from the site sooner?

Should I write some competitive/high search volume articles so that in 6 - 12 months they might rank?? Or would it be better to just go fo low comp. I consider low competition if I see like 1-3 articles on that keyword so, my new site should be able to outrank them but, I don't think I will get a lot of traffic.

To grow your website you need to do marketing. Reach out to people, collab, get noticed.
Get links.
If you have an article with a keyword that has massive tracking, and you can get influential people talking about your article, you will get that traffic faster. And you can keep it if you manage to rank #1.

One trick to do it is to include keywords that aren't common in your niche. Rank for that keyword and then make that keyword the talk of the day in your niche. To achieve that, you need to do lot of marketing. Influence the right people.

I'm sure some veterans know some "easy quick wins", I just don't see why they would share those.
This is the best advice I can offer for now :smile:

Getting more writers on board (as you are doing) is also a good way. More content faster = more traffic faster. Most people reaching 1k in a year did it solo. At least that's my impression.

Alright so, I was wondering if there's a way to get more traffic other than just pumping out more content. I was talking to a few people who do relatively decent and they said it took like 1 year for them to reach 100k page views per month.

I was talking to one guy and he said if you do the method where you go for the ULTRA low comp keywords, you will need like 800 articles or so to hit 100k page views in 1 year. Whereas the approach he took was hitting medium/high comp keywords but by adding different modifiers/hitting them with different angles.

And I was reading a blog of another guy who recommends starting with low comp keywords but also doing a few higher volume keywords so that as your domain ages it might rank it higher since you have stronger topical relevancy.

I was just wondering how you would speed up growth on your site, assuming you got a smaller budget.

I noticed that most people when they built their sites and stuff, it takes them at least 1+ year to make 1k per month but, then there are others who make way more. I personally did most things wrong but was able to make 1k+ in under a year (it's gone now of course cus of mistakes.) since I was promoting higher ticket products.
So I am wondering how come those other people succeeded but, the other people didn't and how I can do better with just a little more effort/more work to earn more in a certain amount of time.

I understand good keyword research, I am planning on buying 50-60 articles this month for one of my sites. (Which would put it at over 100 articles which is pretty good progress as I did most things right on this site from quality, keyword research and relevancy) A lot of these will be like reviews and more buyer-oriented. I am thinking of doing a whole bunch of buyer-oriented content so that I can make money quicker from this site and scale it harder with display ads. But, apart from this, I don't know how I can make more money from the site sooner?

Should I write some competitive/high search volume articles so that in 6 - 12 months they might rank?? Or would it be better to just go fo low comp. I consider low competition if I see like 1-3 articles on that keyword so, my new site should be able to outrank them but, I don't think I will get a lot of traffic.
Noob question here, but what is considered low traffic in terms of monthly search volume? I found a nice list of keywords in my niche that have 0-5 KW difficulty in AHREFS that are all over 1000 monthly global volume.

Noob question here, but what is considered low traffic in terms of monthly search volume? I found a nice list of keywords in my niche that have 0-5 KW difficulty in AHREFS that are all over 1000 monthly global volume.
Those aren't low comp btw. I would stick to 0 difficulty on AHrefs. Find one which has barely any competition. Like it has very few articles targetting on the front page. Ideally, if you can you should target keywords literally no one has written on. Of course, it has to be useful and something people are searching for, and you can even go for 0 search volume keywords so like it shows - on google keyword planner.

So, I would recommend watching a guy named Shawn Mars on youtube and watching his keyword research and 0 volume keyword research video, then I suggest reading the blog post by phil7 or something I forgot his name.

You can also do it where you find a medium comp keyword but you add a modifier to your article in the title. So instead of how to polish leather shoes, you can do how to polish brown leather shoes. While I was talking to one guy he told me that this is what he does, and that if you were to do it the phil7's way of 0 volume keywords you would need a lot more articles to get more traffic.

Also, would recommend reading over the SEO avalanche technique by CCarter but, I would stay away from "KGR", I have tried it, the things I wrote above work way better for me (referring to 0 search volume keywords.)

So you will create an entire article on that specific keyword even tho it has "0" search traffic, you will get more because it ranks for hundreds of different keywords. But, I think writing at least like 10 or few more articles on topics no one has talked about but makes sense to write about is superior to all the techniques I listed above because it has 0 competition, ranks quicker, if you write about those topics google will probably view you as an authority in that small section of the niche which might make it easier to rank, also I would assume it'd get more backlinks since people would be more likely to backlink to an article that no one else has written a better answer on google about.

Those aren't low comp btw. I would stick to 0 difficulty on AHrefs. Find one which has barely any competition. Like it has very few articles targetting on the front page. Ideally, if you can you should target keywords literally no one has written on. Of course, it has to be useful and something people are searching for, and you can even go for 0 search volume keywords so like it shows - on google keyword planner.

So, I would recommend watching a guy named Shawn Mars on youtube and watching his keyword research and 0 volume keyword research video, then I suggest reading the blog post by phil7 or something I forgot his name.

You can also do it where you find a medium comp keyword but you add a modifier to your article in the title. So instead of how to polish leather shoes, you can do how to polish brown leather shoes. While I was talking to one guy he told me that this is what he does, and that if you were to do it the phil7's way of 0 volume keywords you would need a lot more articles to get more traffic.

Also, would recommend reading over the SEO avalanche technique by CCarter but, I would stay away from "KGR", I have tried it, the things I wrote above work way better for me (referring to 0 search volume keywords.)

So you will create an entire article on that specific keyword even tho it has "0" search traffic, you will get more because it ranks for hundreds of different keywords. But, I think writing at least like 10 or few more articles on topics no one has talked about but makes sense to write about is superior to all the techniques I listed above because it has 0 competition, ranks quicker, if you write about those topics google will probably view you as an authority in that small section of the niche which might make it easier to rank, also I would assume it'd get more backlinks since people would be more likely to backlink to an article that no one else has written a better answer on google about.
Makes sense. I just read the Avalanche article last night and starting digging into KGR. In fact, I just posted a question on the newbie thread about KGR. As I get started, I am focusing on the 0 KW difficulty ones. I am seeing a lot related KWs in the 05 range, so I figured I would look at KGR of each to determine which one should be the primary focus. Sound like a solid plan?

Those ARE low competition. With proper on-page you shouldn't have too much problem winning a majority of those keywords, especially if you have some backlinks flowing page rank to your site. But 0-5 keyword difficulty (I'm thinking of Ahref's Keyword Difficulty metric anyways) with a volume over 1000 globally (so what, maybe 300 locally) are winners. Those can easily pull down 1000+ visits a month each once you start taking down all the long-tails and variants too.

We have a Keyword Golden Ratio thread where many of us saw some successes and some failures. Like anything, you have to do enough of it to mine out the gems.

I am very familiar (and chat often) with the guys that you mentioned, I think a large part of this approach is to diversify away from Amazon Affiliates and focus more on building informational websites that can be monetized with ads. The big ad providers Mediavine/AdThrive are providing lucrative RPMs where the business model can make a lot of sense, especially at scale.

I know several others already said that the best way is to promote and market your blog to achieve faster growth and hit newer traffic milestones. The way I see it is what if you asked us how to grow your brick and mortar business (bagel shop, clothing store, hand soap retailer)? What would people say besides promotion and marketing?

I would probably say that you should focus on creating GREAT products. GREAT products will satisfy your first set of customers and create repeat buyers. While more products can help your business, having great products can create that viral-like growth.

Now, the beauty with the online publishing business is that you can replicate this with your content. GREAT content will help your website grow faster and attract more interested readers. Why? Because it is more likely to be shared with others! But publishing a lot of GOOD content with GREAT keyword research can also have a similar effect.

The other great thing about this business (vs. brick and mortar) is there are no other overhead costs besides domain and hosting. I don't need a larger store to keep my extra articles. I don't need extra shelf space for when I publish more articles. I don't need extra employees when revenue rapidly grows!

Some people find it easier to build less content that is GREAT and some people find it easier to build more content that is GOOD. Both methods work.

In the beginning, growth is capped to a degree because of the Google sandbox. If the driving force of a successful online publishing business is traffic, then focus elsewhere if you want to speed up growth, as organic search traffic takes time.

PERSONALLY, my time is better spent creating and publishing more content because that's where I have had success. That time is spent publishing articles that I know I can rank and eventually receive traffic for.

A lot of my articles may only get 10 sessions a day. Still, those articles will receive 3,650 sessions a year. At a low and much achievable $20 RPM, I am making $73 per article. If I have 1000 articles focused on those keywords, that's $73,000. In addition, I'll easily have an asset worth $150,000 (or more).

Back