How to set up goals for click-to-call

darklocal

BuSo Pro
Degree
We have a client who wants to track users who click to call a phone number on their site. Unfortunately, they do not use any call tracking method.

I think you'll need Event Tracking (not Link Click Tracking). That link is for Google Analytics and should be easy to integrate into the site.

It's essentially ga('send', 'event', 'call', 'click', 'Phone Number Click'); tacked onto your tel: links.

Another example would be: <a href="tel:1211211212" onclick="ga('send', 'event', 'Phone Call Tracking', 'Click to Call', '121-121-1212', 0);">CALL (855) 482-4242</a> Where the last 0 could be a 1, where 1 = a non-interaction and won't count as a bounce.

I've used Call Rail in the past with one of my lead gen projects - its perfect for call tracking

Call Rail actually tracks the calls themselves. The data is more accurate this way. You can integrate it into GA as well.

With having a button to click like Ryuzaki's example, people can click the button, but don't necessarily call. Or, they could see the number of their computer screen, and manually type it into their phone.

The trackable number provided by Call Rail allows you to see who came to your site and actually made a call. You also get a bunch of useful data that you wouldn't get just from tracking click (eg, the number that made the call)

To setup in the most simple way, create event tracking and then setup a goal based on Outgoing clicks with "tel:" in the href.

It's easy to do with most GA plugins in Wordpress at least.

The problem with this is that you miss the type in from computer and tablet visitors, which limits you to first run a mobile only campaign to get the conversion data, then add in the computer and tablet searchers.

I am in a similar situation for someone I'm helping and I'm going to use call tracking with dynamic phone numbers, which they claim can make you track call conversion down to keyword data.

I'm not entirely sure this would be necessary for me though, as I figure a mobile only campaign would give enough data to apply to other devices.

Back