How to scale link building?

UWE

Degree
Over the years I've worked on building a team and I've taught them how to do various link building strategies such as

-skyscraper
-guest posting
-guestographic
-resource building
-competitor analysis

One of my sites I've been able to reach about 1k RDs in 2016, but I feel as though I've practically contacted the internet at this point, and I've hit a wall where it's been very difficult to build links at scale for this site at this point in time.

Any suggestions on how to power through and continue to scale?

Any suggestions on how to power through and continue to scale?

At this point, I think the key is to create insanely valuable content, like the skyscraper style posts, and get them in front of as many eyeballs as possible. How you do that is up to you. Facebook pages, Reddit posts, PPC, forum posts, etc.

Everyone experiences resistance when they are told or asked to do something, no matter how you frame it.

But when they happen upon it themselves and are in the right frame of inspired mind or are hunting for something to post to their own sites, that's how you score the surprisingly powerful links you could never fetch by asking. You have a lot of social validation behind the content at that point if people are seeing it on their own adventures across the net.

This level of link building becomes less about link building and more about content development with a splash of micro-copy-writing, timing, and being able to pick apart the psychological triggers of specific demographics.

Also, as you start to acquire top rankings for informational posts, you'll start snagging a ton of forum posts and contextual links from users who want to seem like they are in the know. "Sure I know all about this topic, just let me Google it and drop links from the top 3 ranks so I seem insightful."

If you have 1,000+ legitimate referring domains, you must have some nice traffic that is relatively stable. Time to start shifting your focus from link building to creating assets that people will want to link to naturally.

You beat the link building process. At this point, if you're not ranking #1 for your main keyword it's because the sites above you are 1) way older than you, 2) way larger than you 3) have exponentially more links than you.

You're not going to e-mail outreach your way to the top at this point. You're not going to close that gap and then surpass the competition just by trying harder or scaling bigger. It's become a qualitative issue.

You have the eyes on your site already. Change their experience from jumping to your site so they can read a single article... to an experience that keeps them around. Show them that your site hits every one of their interests in an exciting way. Make them take notice of your website / brand name and make them want to read your about page.

Create compelling content that drives them to take action. And, I'm not talking about actions that will put cash in your pocket directly. Make them take action that will help them alleviate huge hurdles in their lives. The medium doesn't matter as long as you are helping them make a positive change.

If you approach the site in this way, you'll be swimming in links.

At this point, I think the key is to create insanely valuable content, like the skyscraper style posts, and get them in front of as many eyeballs as possible. How you do that is up to you. Facebook pages, Reddit posts, PPC, forum posts, etc.

Everyone experiences resistance when they are told or asked to do something, no matter how you frame it.

But when they happen upon it themselves and are in the right frame of inspired mind or are hunting for something to post to their own sites, that's how you score the surprisingly powerful links you could never fetch by asking. You have a lot of social validation behind the content at that point if people are seeing it on their own adventures across the net.

This level of link building becomes less about link building and more about content development with a splash of micro-copy-writing, timing, and being able to pick apart the psychological triggers of specific demographics.

Also, as you start to acquire top rankings for informational posts, you'll start snagging a ton of forum posts and contextual links from users who want to seem like they are in the know. "Sure I know all about this topic, just let me Google it and drop links from the top 3 ranks so I seem insightful."

You totally were spying and beat me to the post! Stupid ninja!

If you have 1,000+ legitimate referring domains, you must have some nice traffic that is relatively stable. Time to start shifting your focus from link building to creating assets that people will want to link to naturally.

You beat the link building process. At this point, if you're not ranking #1 for your main keyword it's because the sites above you are 1) way older than you, 2) way larger than you 3) have exponentially more links than you.

You're not going to e-mail outreach your way to the top at this point. You're not going to close that gap and then surpass the competition just by trying harder or scaling bigger. It's become a qualitative issue.

You have the eyes on your site already. Change their experience from jumping to your site so they can read a single article... to an experience that keeps them around. Show them that your site hits every one of their interests in an exciting way. Make them take notice of your website / brand name and make them want to read your about page.

Create compelling content that drives them to take action. And, I'm not talking about actions that will put cash in your pocket directly. Make them take action that will help them alleviate huge hurdles in their lives. The medium doesn't matter as long as you are helping them make a positive change.

If you approach the site in this way, you'll be swimming in links.

Really appreciate this input, you're totally right and I'm definitely re-thinking my strategy here...thanks again!

He always beats me that's why my post count is too low :D

Here are a couple of good reads (I only have them handy because I dug them out for someone else recently - otherwise I'm terrible at bookmarking):

https://www.distilled.net/resources/how-axl-rose-ended-up-commenting-on-our-creative-piece/

and

http://www.vervesearch.com/blog/how...rector-james-gunn-to-comment-on-our-campaign/

Spend a whole year trying stuff like that which is 'mega' and learn press outreach and hitting up social influencers to 'seed' it and you'll easily add 50-100% to your LRDs.

Having said that we have no idea on your niche. You could be in a niche where 1,000 LRDS doesn't move the needle. There are big hitters in touch niches (site valuations in the 50-100M range) where they do both - big press hits/viral content plus grinding 70 a month out (some in house, some outsourced) because they need thousands of LRDs and that 70/mo soon adds up over the years.

He always beats me that's why my post count is too low :D

Here are a couple of good reads (I only have them handy because I dug them out for someone else recently - otherwise I'm terrible at bookmarking):

https://www.distilled.net/resources/how-axl-rose-ended-up-commenting-on-our-creative-piece/

and

http://www.vervesearch.com/blog/how...rector-james-gunn-to-comment-on-our-campaign/

Spend a whole year trying stuff like that which is 'mega' and learn press outreach and hitting up social influencers to 'seed' it and you'll easily add 50-100% to your LRDs.

Having said that we have no idea on your niche. You could be in a niche where 1,000 LRDS doesn't move the needle. There are big hitters in touch niches (site valuations in the 50-100M range) where they do both - big press hits/viral content plus grinding 70 a month out (some in house, some outsourced) because they need thousands of LRDs and that 70/mo soon adds up over the years.

Thanks for the input Steve. I actually came across your other thread and tried to reach out to your company via e-mail. Is there anyway we can speak further about my niche and working together? How do I go about PMing you or providing you with my e-mail (I'm unsure of I'm allowed to give my email right here?) Let me know!

I think you can PM here at 4 likes but one of the admins would have to confirm. I haven't been copied in on an e-mail I haven't responded to - do you know who you spoke to? I'll look into it if someone didn't follow up with you. My Skype details are on my profile too if you can view that, if not I'm easy to find on Twitter and LinkedIn and happy to connect there too.

@UWE, click Steve's name and then "Start a Conversation." You should be free to post all over the forum now. You have proven yourself worthy! :evil:

@UWE, click Steve's name and then "Start a Conversation." You should be free to post all over the forum now. You have proven yourself worthy! :evil:

Maybe i'm going crazy, but when I click his name I don't see a "start a conversation" button, and when i click on to his profile, it says not allowed?

Also, I'm having similar grief!
I would like to contact @Steve Brownlie but can't see the "start the conversation" button...
I'm interested in an outreach campaign.

My skype is on my profile. I think you need just a couple more likes and then you should be good to go otherwise on the messenger here! Look forward to chatting with you.

Back