How to remove spam traps from email list?

Sutra

Investor and Business Mentor
BuSo Pro
Degree
Hola hola.

I've been running a leads campaign on Facebook. Each day I import the leads into GetResponse. Last night I imported 3 contacts and received an email from GR that the import was rejected. It didn't specify why it said it could be various reasons, a spam trap being one of them. The email recommended I clean the list with BriteVerify then import the valid emails into GR again.

I ran them through BriteVerify and all 3 emails came back as valid. Since they were originally rejected by GR I contacted their support to see if I should import the same 3 emails again. They suggested that one of the emails might be a spam trap. Those types of email will come back as "valid" because they are real addresses.

Ok, well what the fuck then. What's the point of running it through BriteVerify if it can't catch the worst thing on there?

Anyway, I know ( and I will ) email the 3 contacts to see if I get replies. I'll assume the one that does not reply is the trap, thus won't import that.

But, I'll be getting 50+ leads a day from Facebook. Emailing each one to see who replies doesn't seem like the best way to do this. Surely there must be another way to remove spam traps.

What do you suggest?

I don't understand, aren't you double-opting in your emails? Meaning aren't they getting a confirmation email in which they need to click on in order to subscribe to your list?

@CCarter Negative. Single optin.

But that doesn't apply in this case because they are being imported.

When the lead is generated in Facebook, it doesn't go into GetResponse. You have to download the list from Facebook, then import into GetResponse. The import bypasses the normal single/double optin procedures.

Doesn't matter if it's imported. Since there is no confirmation that the email being entered is even their email - it essentially can be spam. It has nothing to do with any 3rd party - import or not, it's about YOUR business sending spam.

What's stopping me from entering random emails into your email fields on your site if you automatically add them to your list without checking if they are real emails? That's the reason for double-opt-in. You can't import a list into most 3rd party systems without double-optin or "confirming" with them your list was generated legitimately, cause of your exact situation. It's one reason some 3rd parties make it a mandatory requirement. So you aren't importing fake or spam trap emails.

Just be legit and compliant, setup a newsletter confirmation they have to click in order to get onto your mailing list. Otherwise you are going to have a lot more headaches down the road anyways with your current setup... A lot more.

I am legit and compliant. I don't send spam.

In this particular case there is no way for them to double optin, even if I changed my GR settings to Double.

Process is this:

Ad is served via Facebook > User opts in via Facebook (not through GetResponse) > Email are save to Facebook file to download > Download list of email from Facebook > Import list to GetResponse.

When you import to GR it doesn't go through an optin process (regardless of the campaign optin settings). You just check a box that says you have permission to import that contacts. Then it goes into your account. GR then does a check on the emails and notifies you if rejected.

GR USED TO confirm imports but they removed that to streamline the process a while back.

Which is why they suggest to clean the list with BriteVerify beforehand. And that's exactly what I did but they all came up as clean and valid. Thus here I am now.

I'm telling you, NONE OF THIS has to do with GR. It's about YOUR business. You have the final list of emails, it is your responsibility to make sure you are not sending spam. At no point do you send an email confirming that THAT person signed up with their email. If there is nothing stopping me from entering fake information, then it's on YOU. Has nothing to do with GR.

Ad is served via Facebook > User opts in via Facebook (not through GetResponse) > Email are save to Facebook file to download > Download list of email from Facebook >

"Download list of email from Facebook >" <- after this point right here is where you are responsible for knowing whether there are real emails or not - YOU, no one else. Not Facebook, not GR, only YOU.

The way Facebook is doing it, single-opt-in, MAY be compliant, but doesn't mean people are not going to abuse it just to mess with your business, hence why Double-Opt-in is preferred, See:

Single Opt-in
  • Steps: A potential subscriber provides his email or checks a subscription box.
  • Reliability: Low
  • Benefits:
    • Opt-in method is explicit and therefore compliant with Anti-Spam legislation
  • Drawbacks:
    • Prone to abuse
    • Generally results in a higher spam and/or bounce rate that can lead to serious delivery problems.

--

Confirmed/Double Opt-in
  • Steps:
    • A subscriber either manually inputs his email or checks a a box confirming he wants to opt-in to the list.
    • A confirmation email is sent to their email address
    • The subscriber must take an action (like clicking a link) in order to confirm that the address is valid
    • A welcome email is sent.
  • Reliability: Most reliable method; default setting for new accounts.
  • Benefits:
    • Only the true owner of the email address can sign up and confirm their subscription - therefore generating very few complaints, if any.
    • It also prevents you from adding any incorrectly typed, role-based or spam trap addresses to your list as they will never complete the confirmation process.

Sauce: http://kb.cakemail.com/en/deliverability/what.is.the.difference.between.optin.and.doubleoptin/

I'm rather not repeat what I state, but it is YOUR responsibility to make sure YOUR business is not spending spam. I would put it that the way you are doing it in the "dark grey" area, even if it "seems" encouraged by "other" parties.

If you reply with something about GR then I'm just going to not reply anymore cause it's not getting through.

Well..
what is keeping you from doing the following:

New list from Facebook -->
Import as new list "unconfirmed" -->
Send confirmation mail -->
ONLY import CONFIRMED mails into final list.

::emp::

Back