How To Remove "noopener noreferrer"

mackem

Test, Test, Test
Degree
So it seems that the latest version Wordpress is adding "noopener noreferrer" to every external link.

I've tried using the solution that @Ryuzaki proposed here and also this gist by Log1x and so far, the tag is still being included when I view the source.

The only thing that I've done differently is that I've included as a snippet (using the code Code Snippets plugin) rather than adding it directly to functions.php although this has never been an issue with any other new functions.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

mackem

Test, Test, Test
Degree
Okay, I seem to have answered my own question with a little help from this post.

PHP:
//This code removes noreferrer from your new or updated posts
add_filter( 'wp_targeted_link_rel', 'my_targeted_link_rel_remove_noreferrer',999);
function my_targeted_link_rel_remove_noreferrer( $rel_values ) {
return preg_replace( '/noreferrer\s*/i', '', $rel_values );
}

//This code removes noopener from your new or updated posts
add_filter( 'wp_targeted_link_rel', 'my_targeted_link_rel_remove_noopener',999);
function my_targeted_link_rel_remove_noopener( $rel_values ) {
return preg_replace( '/noopener\s*/i', '', $rel_values );
}

//remove noreferrer on the frontend, *will still show up in the editor.*
function my_formatter($content) {
$replace = array(" noreferrer" => "" );
$new_content = strtr($content, $replace);
return $new_content;
}

//remove noopener on the frontend, *will still show up in the editor.*
function noopener_formatter($content) {
$replace = array("noopener" => "" );
return $new_content;
}

add_filter('the_content', 'noopener_formatter', 999);
add_filter('the_content', 'my_formatter', 999);

Degree
Just interested for myself, why are you removing it?
It doesn't seem to break affiliate links anymore and apparently it doesn't affect SEO.

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Yeah, with Gutenberg the old filter stopped working. It was for TinyMCE, which Gutenberg no longer uses. I think it even altered it for the Classic Editor at this point.

Just interested for myself, why are you removing it?
It doesn't seem to break affiliate links anymore and apparently it doesn't affect SEO.
Noopener is fine. It just stops the destination site from hijacking YOUR tab (reverse tabnabbing) when you have a user open a link with target="_blank".

Noreferrer is only there because some legacy browsers don't use Noopener yet, but support Noreferrer in a way that prevents tabnabbing. The problem is that it stops referrer data from being sent.

It can break affiliate links. Amazon apparently stepped in and put pressure on Wordpress to remove it last time, but it came back with Gutenberg. It doesn't stop programs where you have your ID's tagged to the URL with a parameter, but not all affiliate programs do that. Some just use the referring domain data, or at least demand it be there to validate the traffic (like Amazon), which gets blocked. They need to move beyond that anyways with HTTP / HTTPS and all that. But yeah it can still matter depending on the network.

EDIT #1:
I just confirmed that even if you remove "noreferrer" in the Block Editor, when you update the post later it will be re-added. So don't waste time manually removing it. Looks like when we update to the next version of Wordpress it just adds it back.

EDIT #2:
The code provided above works for the classic editor but not the block editor. There seems to be no current solution, hook, filter, whatever when it comes to Gutenshit.

EDIT #3:
wp_remove_targeted_link_rel_filters() was added in Wordpress 5.1, but hell if I can get it to work.

mackem

Test, Test, Test
Degree
@Ryuzaki thanks for taking a loook into this too. Seems the only way to get this working at the moment it to use the two functions at the bottom.

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
@mackem, yeah, I'd rather not run a filter on the_content. Seems a bit demanding for what we're trying to do. I'm thinking that a client-side Javascript function is better. I'm going to implement that some point in the near future and will share it here. I'm guessing that they'll fix the problem of it re-adding 'noreferrer' even after we remove it, but until then I'll just let it sit in the database. Once they fix it we should be able to bulk-remove it in one go with a MySQL command.

mackem

Test, Test, Test
Degree
@Ryuzaki ah, I get where you're coming from here - think I was a little naive there about how much of an impact filtering the_content could have!

Cash Builder

BuSo Pro
Degree
Okay, I seem to have answered my own question with a little help from this post.

PHP:
//This code removes noreferrer from your new or updated posts
add_filter( 'wp_targeted_link_rel', 'my_targeted_link_rel_remove_noreferrer',999);
function my_targeted_link_rel_remove_noreferrer( $rel_values ) {
return preg_replace( '/noreferrer\s*/i', '', $rel_values );
}

//This code removes noopener from your new or updated posts
add_filter( 'wp_targeted_link_rel', 'my_targeted_link_rel_remove_noopener',999);
function my_targeted_link_rel_remove_noopener( $rel_values ) {
return preg_replace( '/noopener\s*/i', '', $rel_values );
}

//remove noreferrer on the frontend, *will still show up in the editor.*
function my_formatter($content) {
$replace = array(" noreferrer" => "" );
return $new_content;
}

//remove noopener on the frontend, *will still show up in the editor.*
function noopener_formatter($content) {
$replace = array("noopener" => "" );
return $new_content;
}

add_filter('the_content', 'noopener_formatter', 999);
add_filter('the_content', 'my_formatter', 999);
Just to double check, is the first function fine to use? I just added it to my site and it successfully keeps "norefferer" from coming back after I manually delete it.

Cash Builder

BuSo Pro
Degree
@Cash Builder I don't think it's harmful, I think it's seen as best practice not to modify "the_content" directly.
Thanks, I'm testing out a new affiliate program and I've not had any clicks register in the past 3 days. I'm thinking "noreferrer" could be the problem. I'll use this until a better solution comes along.