How to Reduce Image Storage Costs with Wordpress?

Andrewkar

BuSo Pro
Degree
I'm moving my site to a new host and so considering moving my WP media folder to a separate location like AWS for example (after advice I've received). The reason for it is that I would like to cut costs without going for higher priced host plans. As you know WP is creating at least three copies of one image and when you have a lot of images then... It's not optimal cost wise. Would you consider this a good move or is there any other cost effective way to stay on a cheaper plan without reaching limits? Sure, all images are as optimised as they can be. Do you have any experiences with setup like this? Any possible disadvantages to this solution? Thanks for inputs!

I'm moving my site to a new host and so considering moving my WP media folder to a separate location like AWS for example (after advice I've received). The reason for it is that I would like to cut costs without going for higher priced host plans. As you know WP is creating at least three copies of one image and when you have a lot of images then... It's not optimal cost wise. Would you consider this a good move or is there any other cost effective way to stay on a cheaper plan without reaching limits? Sure, all images are as optimised as they can be. Do you have any experiences with setup like this? Any possible disadvantages to this solution? Thanks for inputs!
I have never seen somebody say that AWS is cheap. If the cost is the problem, it's not a logical move. AWS also is more complex than other hosting solutions.
The reason for it is that I would like to cut costs without going for higher priced host plans.
Nearly every hosting company provides something close to "unlimited plan". How large is your site? How much are you paying for current plan?

Generally I would say - got with VPS (DigitalOcean, Linode, etc). but it would require more technical knowledge so I suggest some kind of managed hosting. I have heard good reviews for KnownHost, but I have no person experience with them.

As you know WP is creating at least three copies of one image and when you have a lot of images then... It's not optimal cost wise.

I just posted something that may help you out depending on your theme on this post. It's a function you can tweak to stop Wordpress from generating all of those versions. If you are able to do it without screwing up your theme's need for the images, you can save a ton on hard drive space. The only issue is you'll have to go back through your media folder and delete the extra versions of images, which are pretty obvious to spot visually.

Sort by filename and then you'll have the original as filename.png. The extras will be like filename-400x600.png and filename-250x250.png, etc.

How large is your site? How much are you paying for current plan?.
It's nearly 4000 posts, most of them with at least three images, maybe 15-20% with 6+ images. I'm paying (I was paying!) around $50 year. I know it's cheap plan, but it works OK aside of limits.

I just posted something that may help you out depending on your theme on this post. It's a function you can tweak to stop Wordpress from generating all of those versions. If you are able to do it without screwing up your theme's need for the images, you can save a ton on hard drive space. The only issue is you'll have to go back through your media folder and delete the extra versions of images, which are pretty obvious to spot visually.
Thank you @Ryuzaki! This might be something I need.

Back