How to find sources of information for a news website?

Degree
Hello, I have been reading the threads on this forum for a long time and I have learned great things.

First of all sorry for my English, it's not my native language.

I am going to start several new sites in big niches and I want to approach it differently. My idea is to build 2 types of content:

• Evergreen, content that I will publish based on keyword research.
  • News. Publish as much content as I can, not necessarily evergreen, about niche news.
These news I hope to get traffic from different channels: organic in those cases that have searches (even if they are punctual in time) but especially in Discover, Google News and even social networks.

I think that approaching it this way can give an interesting boost to the projects. On the one hand to have a good freshness, and on the other hand to have other ways of traffic. I also want to do some experiments with this kind of content.

The question is: how would you find the sources of information? How do the big portals usually do it?

I have thought about:

- "Spy" on large portals in the sector that already publish in this way.
Daily, see what news they publish and from those topics I would write about it in my own way (my editors really).

- On the other hand: Be attentive to social networks to see news about the niche daily.
Trying to automate as much of the process as possible will be a big part of the strategy.

Any ideas, anyone with experience in this kind of portals?

Welcome to BuSo, mate!

Yes, taking inspirations from the niche BIG names, following forums and social channels that share your niche content, checking out podcasts on YT should be enough.

I recommend reaching out to experts in your niche for special information. This will make your content unique, you'll find something that's NOT already there on the internet.

You have my best wishes.

Yeah very good idea, I hadn't thought about podcast or youtube. I even just thought of searching daily in very popular newspapers, and filtering by the keywords of my niche.

I have collected many sources, mainly social networks and now I have another question: is there a tool to monitor new posts from a list of social networks?

I have a huge list of Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, etc... accounts.

I would like to have in a dashboard the new posts made by all these accounts every day.
That way I wouldn't have to manually go through all the accounts each day looking for their new posts.

Is there something like that? hootsuite or something similar?

I have collected many sources, mainly social networks and now I have another question: is there a tool to monitor new posts from a list of social networks?

I have a huge list of Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, etc... accounts.

I would like to have in a dashboard the new posts made by all these accounts every day.
That way I wouldn't have to manually go through all the accounts each day looking for their new posts.

Is there something like that? hootsuite or something similar?
You can set this up using a service like Zapier or IFTTT. Basically you have it monitor specific social accounts or Youtube channels and when new posts are made you have have it add the information to a Google sheet or send you an email, etc. Tons of ways to do this.

Reddit.

Most of the big Twitter profiles just repost stuff from Reddit.

It's worth thinking about the information funnel today, in which mainstream media is usually days to weeks behind the news.

It goes something like:
  1. Signal/Discord/Messenger/Slack/Skype - people talking, rumors
  2. 4chan/forums/Reddit - people shares rumors to niche forums and subreddits
  3. Twitter - niche Twitter picks up on talks from Reddit/4Chan/Forums
  4. -- > YOU <--
  5. Substack - someone "blogging" about it
  6. Twitter - mainstream Twitter retweets Substack or niche Twitter
  7. Newspaper media - writes about Twitter rumors
  8. Weekly media - writes about newspaper media and thus vets it
  9. TV media - makes a feature about it
  10. Boomers and NPCs consider it "news"

Thanks Bernard, good tips.

In the niches I'm working in maybe it doesn't make so much sense to keep an eye on reddit because there's not so much rumors.

I am finding a lot of information on manufacturers and brands that post their news on social networks.

But I'll definitely check Reddit from time to time, I'm sure I'll find something of value!

In the niches I'm working in maybe it doesn't make so much sense to keep an eye on reddit because there's not so much rumors.

Facebook groups? They're also golden for topics.

I'm not sure if Facebook Groups will have value in my niche, but I'll look into it thanks!

To give you an idea, imagine my niche is cars. I find a lot of information on social networks from manufacturers, car brands, car component brands, etc... that are posting new products that are coming to market.

In forums I can find people who have tested a car or a component and give their opinion. This is also useful for me because I can use that content to analyze the new component or car.

But when I want to look for new products or news, at the moment the social networks of brands and manufacturers are giving me a lot of value.

Thank you very much for all the tips and ideas.

I write for a news site in a specific niche. We usually "spy" on other portals, @cepen , which works fine, and keep an eye on forums in our niche where leaks sometimes happen. We also sometimes directly contact companies in our niche to get embargoed news, which we are allowed to release to the public at a particular date and time.

Back