How much would you pay for this domain?

Degree
I just got into cruising GoDaddy Auctions the other week and I found what seems like a pretty great domain with no bids. Of course, with fifteen minutes to go after days of no bidding, someone swooped in trying to snatch it up. I want this domain but I'm new to buying expired domains so I'm wary that I may just be too emotionally attached to my first seemingly great find..

I know there are more factors at play, but here is some basic info:

Registered in 2008, never dropped.

Pretty brandable domain name.

The original site was for a video game, only ever a homepage, and no evidence of any other uses (PBN, etc.).

There are some great followed links pointing to the site:

Eikigla.png

[Mod Note: Please embed images, don't link to them]

Based on this info, what's a domain like this possibly worth, and how much would you pay for it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Low to mid xxx

I ended up paying $275 - definitely more than I wanted to, but hopefully not an outrageous overpayment. I figure it's a learning experience after all.

I guess now I have no choice but to build something worthwhile on the domain :smile:

$275 seems fair, assuming most of those nice referring domains have dofollow links.

That's a nice head start, good one!

I ended up paying $275 - definitely more than I wanted to, but hopefully not an outrageous overpayment. I figure it's a learning experience after all.

I guess now I have no choice but to build something worthwhile on the domain :smile:
Solid fair price. Nice

$275 is a steal. Honestly, if you throw some content up on that site, it's automatically got value (unless you dont use it to its potential). It would have to have some serious strikes against it to NOT have over double that value.

You can sell a backlink from a page like those that these pages link to and earn that $275 back pretty easily. Many take sites like these now, leech the old content from WayBachMachine and make a 'star' overnight

Just my opinion after seeing how the Backlinks market is stronger than ever as 'tech immigrants' are getting forced to join the online biz world...

It's hard to say without seeing a bigger picture, also i'm not so used to Moz stats, but only 56 linking domains and only two that tell me something... Moz usually shows much less referring domains than Ahrefs and Majestic, do you know the Ahrefs RD number? Anyway, from what i can see and analyze, i'm selling domains like this in my shop for not higher than $70-90.

@Golan Please PM me the domains you have (or come across in the future, or see listed for a finder's fee) that are pretty brandable, haven't expired for over a decade, and have a clean backlink profile with links from top news sites all to the homepage, haven't been part of a PBN, etc that are $70-90. (srs, I'm interested, and will gladly pay more than that but it hinges on the brandable part.)

The not worth it folks, I think, are not giving enough credit to the 'pretty brandable' description and that it sounds like OP is going to be using this domain. If it's just going to sit in a portfolio, I'd be more on the fence, but if this is a good brand name for the business OP plans to build, how is this name not a steal?

Not-so-hot-take: A 'pretty brandable' domain, if it fits OP's business, is already worth the price before we even look at the links or the age.

But I'm a big advocate that people who are going to spend thousands of dollars and hundreds or thousands of hours of their time developing a real site should really pony up for the perfect domain name, whether that means getting a good head start on linkbuilding (Would cost you a whole lot more than $275 to build the link profile shown above...), or a better brand without having to add "My" to the start or "HQ" and "Pro" to the end. I think anything under $300 is a small price to pay for better branding for a project you plan on spending any notable amount of time on, full stop. If you're already trying to cut corners before even installing a CMS, I dunno what to say... (Bit of a tangent there, not directed at anyone in particular, there are plenty of lovely sites that use the HQ suffix, etc...)

Also, it's from an auction with multiple bidders, so people who saw the actual name have also validated the price by bidding their own money. If anything, OP might have overpaid by 1 bid, but other than that, hasn't the value already been set in stone by the other people willing to pay this price? That's what I like about domain auctions. Aside from irrational actors, they give a pretty good idea what something's worth at that moment.

The biggest problem I see here is that the name is stuck at GoDaddy. I can't believe Martin Scorsese hasn't made a movie about them yet.

Last edited:
Agree 100%. A lot of SEOs overvalue the links - without placing much value on how brand able a domain is. At $X,XXX per month it may not matter but when it comes time to sell and you want to get 6 figures +, brandable really pays.

@Golan Please PM me the domains you have (or come across in the future, or see listed for a finder's fee) that are pretty brandable, haven't expired for over a decade, and have a clean backlink profile with links from top news sites all to the homepage, haven't been part of a PBN, etc that are $70-90. (srs, I'm interested, and will gladly pay more than that but it hinges on the brandable part.)

The not worth it folks, I think, are not giving enough credit to the 'pretty brandable' description and that it sounds like OP is going to be using this domain. If it's just going to sit in a portfolio, I'd be more on the fence, but if this is a good brand name for the business OP plans to build, how is this name not a steal?

Not-so-hot-take: A 'pretty brandable' domain, if it fits OP's business, is already worth the price before we even look at the links or the age.

But I'm a big advocate that people who are going to spend thousands of dollars and hundreds or thousands of hours of their time developing a real site should really pony up for the perfect domain name, whether that means getting a good head start on linkbuilding (Would cost you a whole lot more than $275 to build the link profile shown above...), or a better brand without having to add "My" to the start or "HQ" and "Pro" to the end. I think anything under $300 is a small price to pay for better branding for a project you plan on spending any notable amount of time on, full stop. If you're already trying to cut corners before even installing a CMS, I dunno what to say... (Bit of a tangent there, not directed at anyone in particular, there are plenty of lovely sites that use the HQ suffix, etc...)

Also, it's from an auction with multiple bidders, so people who saw the actual name have also validated the price by bidding their own money. If anything, OP might have overpaid by 1 bid, but other than that, hasn't the value already been set in stone by the other people willing to pay this price? That's what I like about domain auctions. Aside from irrational actors, they give a pretty good idea what something's worth at that moment.

The biggest problem I see here is that the name is stuck at GoDaddy. I can't believe Martin Scorsese hasn't made a movie about them yet.

Back