How much is an aged domain worth in itself?

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
Assume a DA of 10 and maybe 20-30 referring domains.

What value would you put on having a domain with a site on it for a couple of years?

I personally think ~$200 or so would be reasonable, other factors like whether it has any traffic would push it up etc, but yeah DA would be mostly irrelevant to me, just the fact that it's aged makes it have worth imo

I would not touch it.

Of course it depends on what those RD are, but even all 30 are .gov's then the DA would be higher.

If you analyze daily drops, you can easily catch a few DA15-20 RD40-50 domains with $10-12 discount backorders on Dropcatch or even $7 backorders on Sav.

Ok guys, I wasn't clear.

I am talking about a site in the niche you want to be in, not just a domain.

A website that has been sitting and aging with exactly the same content that you want to put on it.

The DA really isn't relevant. I wanted to get an idea of how much value you put in monetary terms on not having to start from absolute scratch.

A full site versus a domain does change things a bit. It also depends on how you envision using it, monetizing it, marketing it, etc. This sounds like an SEO question mainly, though.

The question is, what is the value of the traffic, design, content, and links if I have to assemble them separately versus being able to buy them based on the monthly profit. Usually it's a steal if you can get it valued like a website sale and not based on the individual assets.

The DA 10 is doody. You can toss up a site and wait to get hit by Alexa copies, Keyword research crap, image scrapers, etc., and probably get to DA 15. DA 10 means they're not getting enough exposure to get hit by the typical auto-generated spam we all get hit with. That doesn't mean the links are bad though, but since it's only DA 10 I'd assume they aren't that powerful. I'd see what the Ahrefs DR metric says before I'd worry about Moz. Moz has a huge index but it lags behind in time significantly.

If it has 50 articles that are all decent and you can buy the site for $300... that's 6 bucks an article, probably with images all in place, etc. So you can look at it like that, cheap content acquisition to move to a better site.

The design is probably nothing to write home about, I'm assuming. Some pre-made theme, most likely. You won't save much time here. Same with page speed.

For me, personally, the very first decision to be made is "how many and what quality of links". It has to pass that test first. Then the question becomes "how many and what quality of content". Those are you two most important aspects when it comes to saving time and money. Everything else is negligible over time and can be fixed easily (design, page speed, tech SEO).

The age... I wouldn't really worry about that until after I've considered links and content. Age will take care of itself, and if it has good links and good content, it probably already has some age behind it (a year or more).

I put a LOT of money value on not starting from scratch (links, content). Buying time and buying revenue is a great move. But I want the seller to think I value it on their revenue stream, which in this case is probably mediocre or non-existent. And when that's the case the seller tends to value their site based on emotional attachment, so you rarely get off cheap unless you're buying from another internet marketer and not a hobbyist.

@Ryuzaki I didn't buy it because the sale went over my budget. I decided against bidding more, because I only valued the links at around $800 and I figured I would rewrite all the content anyway and do a full redesign.

At the price it was sold, I figure I could buy the links and the design and some of the text. I'm not quite sure, somewhat of a toss up in terms of value.

@bernard, yeah, I think these lower priced sales always get over-valued because at the end of the day the price is still relatively low. The seller always wins out unless they just want to liquidate fast.

I'd rather start fresh than pay $800 and be locked into someone else's vision that "early" in the process. I wouldn't even consider this type of head start without traffic and revenue anyways. Otherwise I'd rather scoop up a linked domain and then start the rest of the build from the ground up and get it done my way.

Because if there's no traffic and revenue, people like me and you are going to basically overhaul the damn thing anyways and make it our way. So all we really paid for was the privilege of not having it our way and needing to tweak everything and not having a domain name we'd choose ourselves.

At the end we didn't' save any time, except on the links, but we didn't save any money on the links most likely if you attribute the full cost to the links at that point.

@Ryuzaki The cost was $2000, which is why I feel like it wasn't worth it, considering $800 worth of links and then some content, plus a design, most of which I would get rid of.

I wont value a domain on purely da 10 but that's a shit metric on itself.

A couple of years can mean a lot of things honestly and nothing at the same time.

instead of year i would check the rankings traffic and revenue if any.
A domain that is sitting and doing nothing for no matter how many years is worth nothing if it doesn't have traffic or rankings even page 2-3 or 4 rankings.

But the site can be valued however lets say it has 100k words of content which you can price it they way you want lets say 3 cents a word would 3k$ for 100k words

20-30 referring domains lets assume they are quality links which i highly highly doubt would each cost minimum 100-200$ each.

that's 2-3k$ more on links

you can calucate that way but honestly 95% of the time its not worth it.

But it can be worth it for you

It all depends what you expect from it.

Back