how much coding knowledge do you have?

OG

Degree
Just curious on everyones experience

I never used to have any until recently, I can do decent html/css but would not consider myself a front end guy what so ever and can do some really cool things in php but thats about it. Im focusing on learning python, RoR and ios in the up coming months. I've noticed that when Im focusing on learning new technologies I think a lot different, more technical and less creative. But after a few day break I get back into my creative mode and having a better understanding of the technologies really helps forward my career as a marketer/entrepreneur. Anyone else have similar experiences?

I have very little coding knowledge, just CSS and HTML so so. PHP and JAVA is for me like a dark matter. However, I can do almost any front end I want but, it takes some time. When it comes to back end my knowledge is too limited (for example like for building something like SERPwoo etc.).

Reactions: OG
HTML, CSS, JavaScript (more so jQuery) and some PHP.

I've played around with all sorts over the years, one of my favorites was Ruby on Rails so I got to have some fun with SASS and even Markdown for a while.

When I have more time in future I'm going to get back to mastering JS, PHP and RoR as much as possible! I love coding & programming in general so I'm always going to get the urge to go back and make stuff!

HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, VB.NET, Python, Pascal, Delphi, Perl, Java, Basic, Logo, R, MySQL ..

Touched a lot, but worked most with HTML, PHP and VB.net, followed by Pascal..
Right now diving deep into Python and the HTML5 stack (JS, CSS, HTML I might have missed)

::emp::

I'm solid on HTML and CSS, but I'm learning SQL, Javascript, and R. I think that, as an SEO, the HTML, CSS & Javascript have been extremely useful, if only for knowing what I'm looking at in terms of tracking codes and when viewing source code for sites.

To be honest, ditch the R and go for python instead

Why do you suggest that? I'm working on an Econ BS (which is why I'm more active during the summer), and my understanding is that it's a super easy way to add a few grand to my paycheck than python. Also, from my understanding, R is a bit more set up for statistical analysis, although I do know python is considerably more flexible.

It was also suggested that I skip SQL and go straight to MongoDB. I don't know about that advice(seems like it makes sense to start with the basics) - what do you think?

Good links. Thanks for sending them. It sounds like both is the way to go, but with my education R might be a better starting point and to expand to Python when I've got the basics down.

Thanks, man.

No problem.
R is easy to learn and a really nice tool to know if you need something fast, especially visualizations.

If you are still in University, you can get ALL jetbrain IDEs for free.

So check this out - matplotlib for python integrated in the IDE:
Start at 1:45

Well it sounds like I've got some work to do when I get home today. Again, thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: emp
I'm just starting to learn Javascript (ordered Head First JavaScript) but I come from a marketing background, so my knowledge of IT is limited.

My main aim for programming is to create single page applications (SaaS business model) for niches where the competition is limited. So with that, I thinking of subsequently learning/taking:

- MEAN stack (MongoDB, Express, Angular (or Ember) and Nodejs)
- Advanced CSS practices (probably use LESS)
- Computer science courses to get a better understanding of IT

Obviously a SPA which is ready for market is a long way away, but I want to learn the things which will put me in that direction.

Any ideas are welcome for a more efficient path.

ps. I'm already in the process of creating a few web apps just for learning.

Nice it seems like a lot of us are learning, once you understand a couple languages the rest get easier

@idlehands__
For your other question, I have no idea about NoSQL databases, such as Mongo.
All I know is that pre SQL databases (from MySQL to P-SQL) are still prevalent in business and online.
So learning about NoSQL is on the cards (definitely), learning typical SQL databases is a must.

PHP, SQL, some basic Javascript - able to create CRUD type of application using procedural programming. Have basic knowledge of OOP in Pyton - some years ago coded some 2d games - think of Space invaders type, etc.

Because of WordPress, Drupal and other plugin-heavy CMS I have taken many shortcuts and have forgotten much of it. I have an idea for SaaS so may pick it all again.

Currently studying computer science (specialzing in networking). I am still trying to to scale my marketing campaigns but it requires money which the IT knowledge can provide in short term.

For you guys learning Python, are you going with 3.X or 2.7.X? I've read that there's less support for 3.X but some people in the field recommend going with 3.X because its the "future" and its easier to go from 3.X to 2.7.X. I'm not sure if that's true, but that's what I've read from my short time researching.

I'm learning 3.X myself, but curious what others think.

3.x all the way.
"3.x is not supported" is pretty much a myth.

Here is a nice breakdown of the 360(!!) most popular packages.
http://py3readiness.org/
Lo and behold... 293 of 360 are ported.

If you really need a package that is 2.x only, any good IDE (e.g. pycharm) lets you switch the compiler with a few clicks.

This does happen, but mostly in niche areas. For example neural networks, etc..

Just enough to get by with the basics..

When I was a freshman, I read a PHP book and, a month later, got a job as a PHP developer at a startup. It took them a year to find out that I was under-qualified (ha!) but I used that time to get good at Wordpress. I can basically hack WP pretty efficiently now. No coding wizard like Macbook, emp, CCarter, or you other guys but I get by with what I know, Google, and stackexchange.

Right now, I have learning web scraping and automation on my to-do list. It'll end up being iMacros with JS, nothing fancy.

Other than that, I know enough to write out flow charts and project descriptions to outsource it to a skilled contractor at a fair price.

3.x all the way.
"3.x is not supported" is pretty much a myth.

Here is a nice breakdown of the 360(!!) most popular packages.
http://py3readiness.org/
Lo and behold... 293 of 360 are ported.

If you really need a package that is 2.x only, any good IDE (e.g. pycharm) lets you switch the compiler with a few clicks.

This does happen, but mostly in niche areas. For example neural networks, etc..

Thanks for sharing the URL, never seen that before, but glad that I decided to go with 3.X

Not sure why so many posts I found around the net recommended 2.X. o_0

I'm pretty proficient with HTML/CSS and I'm currently learning Javascript. Most of the work I do is on the front end right there in the user's face and providing a killer user experience. But I just came across this awesome JS framework called Meteor.com - it's open source, VC funded, and really allows you to mock up a working prototype quite fast.

Meteor allows you to write a real time single page app in only javascript - front & back end written in one language. It makes much easier for a lone developer or even front end developer create a complete app from start to finish.

If your looking to learn programming quickly Meteor provides everything you need to get a MVP up asap.

Thanks for sharing the URL, never seen that before, but glad that I decided to go with 3.X

Not sure why so many posts I found around the net recommended 2.X. o_0
Well, the problem as I understand it was the initial uptake of 3.x was very slow, with huge and popular libraries not being ported (numpy, etc..)

There still are neat things you need 2.7 for, sadly.

Scrapy is one of the ones most people here might be interested in.
(Altho the real culprit is the dependency on twisted, which is not being ported)

HTML - Got it down pat.

CSS - Got it down pat.

PHP
- Good enough to build themes and create interactions. Nothing on the scripting or database levels.

Javascript/Actionscript/JQuery
- Good enough to read and understand, manipulate what's there, etc.

Python
- I've scripted some things with it, but I'm definitely a beginner.

C++
- Tons in college.

Fortran
- Tons in college and at a job many moons ago.

Basically I'm pretty good with all of the front-end needs. I need to really work on jQuery though for client work. For my own sites I like to minimize the usage of things like that. I'd love to get my PHP game together for not only scripting but also for tying into MySQL on an expert level. That would essentially crack open the world of back-end development for me.

Try out codeacademy.com, I learned a few javascript tricks from there. I also use jsfiddle to play around with the code and see what it does!

Back