How many sites do I build?

jxs

Degree
Hi everyone. Been lurking for a while. Had this question on my mind so thought I'd put it out here.

I have two ideas for two digital products:
  1. Food Ebook (starting small but potential to turn into course)
  2. Fitness Ebook (starting small but potential to turn into membership site)
My question is this: do I build a site around each one and promote them separately? eg build two authority sites, a fitness one and a food one. Or do I put them both on one site?

Cheers :smile:

If you have the time and resources available, go for both, and let traction decide which ones are successful.

If you are lacking time OR resources, focus on one.

$0.02.

Probably one. I don't want to generalize, but one will generally be more efficient, particularly when you have multiple topics that can be closely related. Food and fitness are two topics that can be closely related. Weighing dev time for sites is a cost vs. benefit issue, and your time is money.

You build one site in this case.

You can cover both topics in your blog, you can do a separate sales page for each ebook, somebody who is interested in book A might also want book B and you'll have them all in one place. Your link-building efforts will be amplified, and your focus will be much better.

Last edited:
I think this pretty much confirms what I was already thinking. Focus on one.
Shiny object syndrome is a real pain.

Build one site and turn it into a brand. That way the two ebooks belong to one brand.
Look at examples like bulletproofexec, they sell a multitude of products.
You can, however build separate website landing pages for each on separate domains. But they should be under the umbrella of the same brand.
Having it under one brand allows you to sell other future products with less buyers inertia - they know you, they trust you.
Build an email list using the site and cross-sell the buyers from the products.
Next build supporting sites that flog your two (or more) products. You'll be able to target exact/similar search keyworded domains without hurting your brand this way. Ask for the email address on those sites, and add them to your branded site newsletter.

My suggestion is to stay focused, start with one strategy, and find out ASAP if you have a winner or not (i.e. Fail forward fast if its a loser). The biggest challenge for marketers is we have too many ideas. Keep it simple, stay focused, and if you see you have a winner, then scale. And don't get caught in "paralysis by analysis". Take action!

Build one site and try to leverage EVERYTHING you know creating/optimizing/promoting it.

Then you can tackle the next one.

Back