How Many of You Are Using The Volume/Spray and Pray Method?

Degree
As I've read over the forums for the last several months I've read over several users who are doing the volume game with their content.

For example, ( I could be getting his strategy wrong) @JamaicanMoose seems to be producing hundreds and hundreds of articles a month while only paying .01-.015 cents a word, or $1.50 per 100 words.

The idea behind this as brought out by @JamaicanMoose is no matter how good our keyword research is, we will never know which articles google will rank well and which ones it won't. So it's best to publish as many articles as possible (with keyword research, of course). Basically a spray and pray method.

I know some users will just find a competitor with a lower DR/Authority than them and take all of the competitor's top pages (whether it be hundreds or even thousands of pages) and send the titles off to their writers to compete for them to see which ones stick. Making keyword research fairly simple and not worrying too much about everything being perfect.

The more articles I write the more I see what the @JamaicanMoose is saying. I'll have an article I think will be a home run that ends up being a dud and an article that I don't think I have a chance at ranking will bring in a nice amount of traffic.

Does this work if the volume you can produce is only around 25-50 articles a month with a site that has a somewhat lower DR (around DR20 or below) but with the same approach?

This seems to also be @larcha and @MrMedia strategy as well.

How many more of you have tried this and how is it going?

Thank you all!

Does this work if the volume you can produce is only around 25-50 articles a month with a site that has a somewhat lower DR (around DR20 or below) but with the same approach?
Yes. I have a site pumping out about that much content per month right now that's clearing $10k per month (DR score around 30).

This is one of those threads where I feel like you already know the answer and you're asking for reassurance.

If your plan is to rank in Google, they need content to index, and that content needs to be optimized for keywords, and you rank for more keywords by having more content published.

This kind of numbers game is a question of operating slim enough to make it efficient enough to make sense monetarily.
  • How much will I pay per 100 words of content?
  • How long will the content be?
  • Will I be able to afford to hire formatters and image help?
  • What kind of RPM can I expect?
  • What search volume should I be targeting so there's enough traffic?
  • What competition level should I be targeting so I can actually get traffic?
It's a balancing game that nobody can answer for you until you start doing it and then you adjust accordingly, eventually landing in the right spot.

+1 on everything @Ryuzaki said.

If you see a lot of people doing this, there must be a reason behind it. Need more proof? go to yeys.com, the same strategy.

Yes. I have a site pumping out about that much content per month right now that's clearing $10k per month (DR score around 30).

This is one of those threads where I feel like you already know the answer and you're asking for reassurance.

If your plan is to rank in Google, they need content to index, and that content needs to be optimized for keywords, and you rank for more keywords by having more content published.

This kind of numbers game is a question of operating slim enough to make it efficient enough to make sense monetarily.
  • How much will I pay per 100 words of content?
  • How long will the content be?
  • Will I be able to afford to hire formatters and image help?
  • What kind of RPM can I expect?
  • What search volume should I be targeting so there's enough traffic?
  • What competition level should I be targeting so I can actually get traffic?
It's a balancing game that nobody can answer for you until you start doing it and then you adjust accordingly, eventually landing in the right spot.
Hey @Ryuzaki !

It does sound like a numbers game. As I can see the answers to your questions can only be figured out by doing it as you said. I appreciate those questions as well! Those will help me as I find the balance I'm sure.

I've found that my bottleneck so far is creating briefs. For your sites including the one, you mentioned in your reply what kind of briefs are you making for your writers?

I'm currently including all H2s and H3s. Do you just send the keyword and have the writers figure out the rest?

Also, it looks like you recommended Dope Writers several months ago from the forum. Do you still recommend them and how are the articles they wrote for you ranking?

As always I greatly appreciate your expertise!

+1 on everything @Ryuzaki said.

If you see a lot of people doing this, there must be a reason behind it. Need more proof? go to yeys.com, the same strategy.
Thanks for that link Liam! Im currently reading around that site right now. Its pretty sweet information!

Is this the same method your currently following as well?

For your sites including the one, you mentioned in your reply what kind of briefs are you making for your writers?
I wrote in-depth guides for "general guidelines" for in-house writers as well as content templates, but I haven't hired writers again for my recent round of stuff. I'm using content agencies, and I just send them the keyword. They know to look at the top 10 and understand what is ranking and basically write / re-write from all of that. I'm not asking for overly complex content so this is sufficient. If you're trying to hit scale you can't spend forever writing briefs, and agencies are training their writers to some degree. The reason to pay them is to offload all that type of time-eating activity.

Also, it looks like you recommended Dope Writers several months ago from the forum. Do you still recommend them and how are the articles they wrote for you ranking?
Yes, they're doing fine. They have different writers with different skillsets. They do have an actual editor process that doesn't catch every little weird thing, but it's all doing just fine to rank and bank. I'm making money with them. I haven't sent them anything complex and don't intend to (like in-depth financial product reviews or whatever). Your mileage may vary but I'm pleased enough to continue using them for the foreseeable future.

I wrote in-depth guides for "general guidelines" for in-house writers as well as content templates, but I haven't hired writers again for my recent round of stuff. I'm using content agencies, and I just send them the keyword. They know to look at the top 10 and understand what is ranking and basically write / re-write from all of that. I'm not asking for overly complex content so this is sufficient. If you're trying to hit scale you can't spend forever writing briefs, and agencies are training their writers to some degree. The reason to pay them is to offload all that type of time-eating activity.

Yes, they're doing fine. They have different writers with different skillsets. They do have an actual editor process that doesn't catch every little weird thing, but it's all doing just fine to rank and bank. I'm making money with them. I haven't sent them anything complex and don't intend to (like in-depth financial product reviews or whatever). Your mileage may vary but I'm pleased enough to continue using them for the foreseeable future.

Yo but like in the case studies it seems that you go for expert writers?? Like writers who are experts? And you make super in-depth and long-form content?

Also, how long did this take from new domain to 10k?

I always thought reading from your AMA and stuff, that you wrote up massive content briefs and did things extremely strategic. But here you mention you just give them a keyword to write. and you also mentioned how they just look at the top 10 and rewrite from there right?

How is your content top notch if they just do that? Are you doing 2 separate approaches for these sites? LIke one where u have super good content and then the other one is just scale and you do rewrites on low comp keywords??

As someone who published 10,000+ articles on a DR60 site, yes, it is spray and pray but you gotta make sure you don't target the same keyword twice. That's the hard part.

Yo but like in the case studies it seems that you go for expert writers?? Like writers who are experts? And you make super in-depth and long-form content?

Also, how long did this take from new domain to 10k?

I always thought reading from your AMA and stuff, that you wrote up massive content briefs and did things extremely strategic. But here you mention you just give them a keyword to write. and you also mentioned how they just look at the top 10 and rewrite from there right?

How is your content top notch if they just do that? Are you doing 2 separate approaches for these sites? LIke one where u have super good content and then the other one is just scale and you do rewrites on low comp keywords??
Yes, different projects can call for different approaches, as can your approach change based on skill level and access to cash flow.

But even on the cheap content, I expand it and do meticulous on-page. I don’t “fix” or rewrite anything but I’ll add to it nearly every time. It may sound cheap and easy since I’m not spending time on briefs that often get ignored anyways, but a lot goes into it. Otherwise I’d be slinging out 1,000 posts a month, you know.

Thanks so much for the insight @Ryuzaki ! I was always nervous to just give a keyword but as you said that's the reason you're paying them. Like you mentioned as well often times they ignore the briefs anyways. Thank you for giving me the courage to let go of some of the work. Im going to give it a try so I can pump out at least 25 articles each of the next few months.

Thanks so much for letting me know how its been going with them and that their articles have been making you money. Ive already sent in an order to get the ball rolling. My niches are fairly general as well and don't take much knowledge so it seems like it should be a perfect fit.

As someone who published 10,000+ articles on a DR60 site, yes, it is spray and pray but you gotta make sure you don't target the same keyword twice. That's the hard part.
Wow! Thats awesome @Philip J. Fry ! My site is currently a DR12 so im hoping the technique will work for my site. Im of course targeting as low of competition keywords as possible.

Did you follow the same concept as Ryuzaki in terms of your briefs? Just sending the keyword to your writers/content agency?

I can see with that many articles its hard to avoid going after the same keyword twice. Thanks for the heads up!

Ive read too much information on picking the perfect keywords. Theres no way of telling if Google will even rank you for those keywords despite you thinking you have chosen a low comp keyword.

So I'm under the impression now that I will just try and get up as much content as possible and everything will average itself out. Some articles will hit and some wont.

Thank you for your sharing your experience!

Wowsers, how did that work out for you? Niche, revenue, traffic?

Yes, different projects can call for different approaches, as can your approach change based on skill level and access to cash flow.

But even on the cheap content, I expand it and do meticulous on-page. I don’t “fix” or rewrite anything but I’ll add to it nearly every time. It may sound cheap and easy since I’m not spending time on briefs that often get ignored anyways, but a lot goes into it. Otherwise I’d be slinging out 1,000 posts a month, you know.
What approach would say works the best?? The high quality but fewer articles approach or this approach you talk about? What makes the most money??

What approach would say works the best?? The high quality but fewer articles approach or this approach you talk about? What makes the most money??
Both and neither. Because nothing exists in a vacuum. If you held all the variables static, meaning you used the same theme, very similar domain name, same topics, same niche... it would then vary based on other things. Who's doing the on-page? Who's doing the off-page? How much money does this person have to either pay for expert content or to pay for a higher volume of non-expert content? What's the general skill level going on that will influence their success in either direction.

The better question is "what approach would work best for me in particular for my specific project in this specific moment in time, taking into account my access to money, time, and my current skill set."

These answers don't really exist, and the desire to have them all answered before you really commit to something will stop you from having a real go at it. You'll never find a true paint-by-numbers way of doing things, though there's plenty of people who'll try to sell you that framework.

For example, ( I could be getting his strategy wrong) @JamaicanMoose seems to be producing hundreds and hundreds of articles a month while only paying .01-.015 cents a word, or $1.50 per 100 words.

How do you find people that write for that money?
Fiverr or Upwork?

Sorry I wanted to edit my post but lookslike im to late.
Ive read up on this "spary and pray" method and it certanly is interesting.

Not sure if I can produce content in that pace in my current state (5 months into a new page).
But if its alright I have some questions.
  1. Ive read that people are not using meta tags, why?
  2. When you find a long tailed keyword you want to write about do you use regular seo on h2/h3 headings or do you just write what fits the blogpost the best for the purpose of answering the question? Anyone got any good examples/templates?
  3. do you name pictures with the long tailed keywords also, ive read recommendations that only have 2 word keywords in blog pictures?
  4. I have alot of problems with indexing my new posts on my blog for the last 5 months, out of 30 i got 11 indexed and nothing happened for ages, so I added google API settings into my RankMath and I use the Instant Index function in Rankmath to index my blogposts and they are usually up in 1-2 days, will this effect my site negative?
  5. Ive been tracking my google search console and when i check the tab "performance" and look into top quaries in the right down corner I can see that my count is steady increasing with like 10-20 quaries a day. So I guess that is keywords google are ranking for me. Is it the same for you guys that you online index a few each day?
Sorry for random questions.
Im trying to learn lol.

-Zoro

@Zoro

1. I always use meta tags. Reason = I have quite a few pages where on the SERPs the paragraph underneath of the title IS MY META TAG. I don't care he say she says what... I see it in front of my eyes so I'm going to continue using it.

2. I try to do both, use the keyword in there but also answer the search intent.

3. Name the picture with the correct description. Your photos can "RANK". I have a page that I'm trying to target a keyword for that the content doesn't necessarily rank... but for some reason my picture of the keyword ranks #1 lol....

4. I always manually request indexing via google search console. It'll index within a few hours typically.

@Zoro, get rid of the "pray" part. That's for dummies. Everything you do has a purpose and is tactical or it's not worth doing, period.

1. Meta tags are ancient and aren't used by Google any more. @JOoa0ky is talking about "meta descriptions", which are different and you should be using them. Meta tags are a waste of time and is like announcing to Google that you're an SEO, which isn't the best idea.

2. Yes, you always do on-page SEO, every single time. If you don't do it, you're wasting an opportunity and you're not likely to rank. Always do on-page SEO. Use your headers, use your keywords in your headers, etc. You don't need a template (and it's different each time), you know what to do. If you need examples, search any keyword and look at the top 3 ranking articles.

3. You can do this but only do it once per keyword. You can name the file with a keyword and use it in the alt text for the image. No need to do it for every image and every alt text, but do it at least once if not twice (for every keyword being used in the article [yes, you can target more than one keyword per article]).

4. I don't know if it'll negatively affect your site. You should have a sitemap and submit it to Google Search Console. You don't need to do more than that. If you're still having issues getting indexed then you need to address those issues instead of spamming Google's API (which is only meant for news articles). You probably need more page rank juice, meaning more back links pointing to your site. They'll crawl you more often and consider you more worthy of indexation if others consider you worthy of being linked to.

5. It's going to be different for every person on every article on every site. It doesn't really matter how many keywords you rank for. It matters how many you rank at the top for and how much traffic you get.

How do you find people that write for that money?
Fiverr or Upwork?

You can find them on both, but at the end of the day it's all a balancing act.

You get what you pay for! Cheap content will need to be heavily edited after you get it (which is time consuming). More expensive writers will require less editing (if any at all), which obviously saves you time.

Question ends up being - what is the value of your time? Are you just starting out and in a money crunch? etc.. Find the best balance for your current situation and go from there.

Back