How many links should I build?

built

//
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
So I've found some high DA niche forums where I can get some dofollow backlinks.

My question is should I just continue building say 5 per day or should I only do x amount per platform?

Im leaning towards the "just keep building"

Last edited:
This should answer your question sufficiently. Remember, you need to take link velocity into account too. A site that gets 10 links one day, 100 links another day, nothing for the next 3 days, and 5 links the day after that will stick out like a sore thumb. It's got to be consistent.

http://www.quicksprout.com/2015/05/06/how-many-links-should-you-build-to-your-website/
Thanks man, reading now.

I was under the impression that building links consistently was a sign of spam?

Edit: I'll follow this guide and see what happens. One thing he didnt mention is what happens if you don't build links for a month etc?

Last edited:
You just need to think of how a "normal" site's link profile would look. Take a look:

link-growth-profiles.gif

A 'spiky' graph looks a little less natural than the linear or geometric. You get the latter from consistent link acquisition that increases steadily.

The timeline in that article is pretty spot on:
  • Month 1 – build 5 to 10 inbound links (ideally to your homepage)
  • Month 2 – build 10 to 15 inbound links (mix it up between your homepage and internal pages)
  • Month 3 – build 20 to 30 inbound links (mix it up between your homepage and internal pages)
  • Month 4 – build 30 to 40 inbound links (focus on internal pages)
  • Month 5 – build 40 plus links a month (focus on internal pages)
  • Month 6 – build as many high quality links as possible (focus on internal pages)

I found a load of forums related to my niche and put them in a spreadsheet. Registered at all of them, filled out the profiles really well incl. avatar etc. Then over the week I posted intro threads, replied to a few recent posts etc, just so it looks like I'm not there for spamming.

Then a couple of weeks later I began to drop links. This could be putting the url in the profile or maybe the odd signature. A lot of forums don't like commercial links in sigs these days so be aware. Then every few days I'll go to the recent posts and find some posts to reply to, just to keep it looking legit.

Some forums have personal blog functions so that's a great way to add content too. Some have directories attached. Some have marketplaces. Also it's good to find some people to 'friend' using that function as it just boosts the pages coming to your profile. Also some forums have groups or communities so join those too.

Once I have been a member for a few months I will find a way to drop some inner links, like to one of my blog posts, or to another PBN site etc. I've done some good posts that have lead to a constant stream of traffic for months now.

So personally if it's for a money site I go slow and safe, getting maximum link juice and exposure from a niche forum where my clients are ready to lap it up :smile:

Thanks for the insights @stackcash and @Tucky. I should probably slow down a bit just to be safe.

In one of my forum profile's signatures I have a link to an inner post with my title (contains my keyword) Should I remove this or just go slow on posting?

In one of my forum profile's signatures I have a link to an inner post with my title (contains my keyword) Should I remove this or just go slow on posting?

This is a really bad idea if you intend on adding more than 1 or 2 posts to that forum. You're going to get over-optimized immediately. I'd switch it to a generic anchor or remove it altogether and point it at your homepage instead.

Your best bet for forums when you're just trying to get links is to use the profile Homepage field. That's what it's for, Google doesn't care if it's related and you don't have 10,000 of them (Xrumer spam).

Then, to get it indexed, don't go to an indexer service. Don't spam the profile. Just...
  • Post an intro thread if you can
  • Post a few times in other threads in various sections of the forum
  • Post once or twice in stickied threads if you can to help ensure crawling
  • And, see if other profiles show links to "members who recently visited this profile"
If the last bullet point exists, just start opening user profiles from the recent threads in new tabs. You'll drain more juice to your profile and create a ton of entry points for crawling. Your goal is to get your profile crawled, not even necessarily indexed. Just crawled and part of the link graph.

Now you're not dropping signature spam or trying to post a link to your site. Most of the time all of that is no-follow. Your best chance for a do-follow is your profile, and sometimes you can weave in all of your other social networking pages too.

I'd follow this course for 99% of forums you find, because they won't be worth leaking, just getting that one link. I mean... if we all had infinite time on the planet, I'd say go for it. If you can hire someone to do it, go for it. But realistically, there's better things for you or your VA's to be doing.

And, from my point of view, to answer your original question, just get links. If you're doing it manually, you're not going to get far enough out of the zone of natural to matter. If you go viral legitly, you'll get some social shares and whatever enough to legitimize the spike too. Manual = you don't have to worry, you can't move that fast. It'll be quality over quantity.

One rule of thumb I adhere by is unique visitors / 3

If your site gets 10 visitors a day, getting 10 links is unlikely.
This is especially for starting pages, though, Once your page is getting lots of traffic, I'd stay anywhere below that number.

1. Your main keyword should not exceed 20% of your link profile. 2. Variety is the spice of life 3. Keep it natural looking Good luck!

Back