How do you build an email script like this?

built

//
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
I'm sure most of us have read this post on detailed.com

Code:
https://detailed.com/15-words/

Thought I would give it a try, I have a perfect idea for it. The question is now, how the hell do you build something like this?

I have this php code at the moment, would I be able to modify this to produce the same type of result?

Been googling around and haven't found anything really.

Code:
<?php
if(isset($_POST['submit'])){
    $to = "email@example.com"; // this is your Email address
    $from = $_POST['email']; // this is the sender's Email address
    $first_name = $_POST['first_name'];
    $last_name = $_POST['last_name'];
    $subject = "Form submission";
    $subject2 = "Copy of your form submission";
    $message = $first_name . " " . $last_name . " wrote the following:" . "\n\n" . $_POST['message'];
    $message2 = "Here is a copy of your message " . $first_name . "\n\n" . $_POST['message'];

$headers = "From:" . $from;
    $headers2 = "From:" . $to;
    mail($to,$subject,$message,$headers);
    mail($from,$subject2,$message2,$headers2); // sends a copy of the message to the sender
    echo "Mail Sent. Thank you " . $first_name . ", we will contact you shortly.";
    // You can also use header('Location: thank_you.php'); to redirect to another page.
    }
?>

<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
<title>Form submission</title>
</head>
<body>

<form action="" method="post">
First Name: <input type="text" name="first_name"><br>
Last Name: <input type="text" name="last_name"><br>
Email: <input type="text" name="email"><br>
Message:<br><textarea rows="5" name="message" cols="30"></textarea><br>
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit">
</form>

</body>
</html>

Another thought I had was to use google sheets to store the list of emails so that I can re-target later down the line

You have the gist of it right there. All you need is one text field. In the upper section take the email field and split the string based on a comma. Loop all the results and trim any whitespace.

Using the mail() function from PHP directly off your server is probably not going to work really well though, as I would expect your emails to hit the spam folder or be outright rejected. If you want to hit the inbox you would probably have to take another approach. Even just setting up a Gmail account and have the script send the email through that is better. You could hook into Amazon SEM or similar. There are a lot of options.

You have the gist of it right there. All you need is one text field. In the upper section take the email field and split the string based on a comma. Loop all the results and trim any whitespace.

Using the mail() function from PHP directly off your server is probably not going to work really well though, as I would expect your emails to hit the spam folder or be outright rejected. If you want to hit the inbox you would probably have to take another approach. Even just setting up a Gmail account and have the script send the email through that is better. You could hook into Amazon SEM or similar. There are a lot of options.
Thanks for the advice.

Do you think it would be possible to use an email service like mailchimp etc, I know they send a "confirm your email" message when you opt in which might be a problem

Yeah I mean I guess that could work, but also costs more. If your goal was to have the users on some kind of mailing list it would make sense. If your goal is to simply send the user an email like, "stop being cheap" then I wouldn't recommend it.

Can't you disable double opt in for mailchimp? I know you can for Active Campaign. I haven't used mailchimp in a while, so i apologize if that's a stupid question.

If mailchimp does allow you to do single opt in, then it looks like that could work.

Back