How Do Find An Angle For Your Niche?

Degree
I know what vertical and niche I want to promote.

What I can't figure out is how to develop a unique angle to market products in that niche. In fact, none of the competitors seem to have one either. They mostly get traffic through PPC or SEO and sell a product in this niche that is always needed by their customers.

Also, the products/brands I'll be promoting in this industry will always be changing and will most likely be through Amazon or a direct affiliate relationship with the advertiser. So with that in mind, do I still need to slave over having an angle or should I just market my site just like my competitors?

Why do you assume your competition knows what they are doing?

Why do like your competitor when you can be better?

Copycats don't last the first major wave/shake up innovators do.

It sounds like you trying to hard to "come up" with an angle. There is a simpme way ... It is called RESEARCH.
First read this, it is a must before anything else. Great resource those guys created.

https://www.buildersociety.com/forums/digital-strategy-crash-course.25/

Seriously it will guide you n provide a plan to do your research n analysis. I bet while following the steps you will find your angle.

Now there is another way..sit down and meditate by silencing your mind, ask specific questions and be willing to listen. Dont mean to be spiritual on you

Like @CCarter says, if you want to win you need to innovate. I don't believe that necessarily means having some totally crazy angle - 'just way better' is fine as an angle. If you can do what SerpWOO did and think 'what would I really, really, really fkn want if I was a customer of one of these other sites' and build something that's just straight up better that can move the market too.

Don't give up your chance to have a creative edge over your entire field. It's a one-time event, while growing the business is on-going. This is analogous to trying to rank for a keyword without having done any research surrounding the keyword to realize it's way too difficult. Everything you do at the START determines if you're playing on easy mode or hard mode. Choose easy mode and take the time!

If you don't have an Angle of Presentation and a Unique Selling Proposition or whatever else makes you stand out, then you won't stand out. And someone is going to jump in that niche and eat you guys alive eventually. Or that could be you doing the eating.

I know what vertical and niche I want to promote.

What I can't figure out is how to develop a unique angle to market products in that niche. In fact, none of the competitors seem to have one either. They mostly get traffic through PPC or SEO and sell a product in this niche that is always needed by their customers.

Also, the products/brands I'll be promoting in this industry will always be changing and will most likely be through Amazon or a direct affiliate relationship with the advertiser. So with that in mind, do I still need to slave over having an angle or should I just market my site just like my competitors?

Something I've always done to look for angle ideas is to look for the "weird" crowd. For example in the diet niche I recently found a paleo article that goes deep into how eskimos rarely ever eat any plant based foods at all since it's snowing all the time there (duh!) and so they concluded that fat and meat on their own is not what's harmful to our body and carbs are the main culprit.

So you get some cool angles from there:
  1. Meet the people who ONLY eat meat and fat, yet never get heart attacks!
  2. Don't like veggies? Neither do these guys.. but they're healthy!
  3. Watch what happens when an ancient carnivorous people start to eat carbs..
  4. etc etc
Also I was promoting stuff in the skin care niche and decided to go hunting for skin care posts in diet forums. Here are some results:
  1. Look what happened to her skin after a month of eating only meats and fat
  2. This is how your skin looks if you eat only raw bananas for a month
  3. This girl only eats ONE meal per day. Her face became..
  4. etc etc
I hope this helps.

I started with something I'm passionate about. It was pretty bland but I love it. But then I added a twist to it one day, based off of something else I'm passionate about. People loved it. I went from there. It's something I fell into by following what the audience preferred, but at the same time, it's an extension of who I am, what I'm passionate about.

Really, I just blended one of my passions that caters to the mainstream, with another passion that is much more niche. Plus, I present the content in a way that has a certain feel/look, based on other stuff I like, that other sites don't do.

So for example, if you did a site about American Automobiles, you could combine that with your passion for muscle cars, but present it in a way that caters to guys with white collar jobs. A lot of muscle car sites and magazines cater to the gear heads/rednecks/guys pumped with adrenaline. So you would immediately stand out and hit a nerve with middle-class guys that like cars but don't fit the stereotypical mold

I think I finally found my angle.

I had to actually switch verticals entirely to do this. It involves using content from another niche I was interested in and applying it to a section of what will be a magazine site in a completely different vertical. It's the content of the niche that interest me as a writer. The rest of the content I plan to outsource.

So what this does is, it allows me to 1) write some content for the site that I find important and want uses to start a discussion on. 2) It gives the usual content of these sites a different spin which I think captures an audience that isn't being addressed. (At least this is what my research shows)

I reread "Day 3 - Market Research" and really took the time to look at the sites in this space. I feel pretty clear about what it is now that I want to do with the site. It also gave me some good ideas on the kind of users I want to attract to the site and who will want to read my content.

Something I've always done to look for angle ideas is to look for the "weird" crowd. For example in the diet niche I recently found a paleo article that goes deep into how eskimos rarely ever eat any plant based foods at all since it's snowing all the time there (duh!) and so they concluded that fat and meat on their own is not what's harmful to our body and carbs are the main culprit.

So you get some cool angles from there:
  1. Meet the people who ONLY eat meat and fat, yet never get heart attacks!
  2. Don't like veggies? Neither do these guys.. but they're healthy!
  3. Watch what happens when an ancient carnivorous people start to eat carbs..
  4. etc etc
Also I was promoting stuff in the skin care niche and decided to go hunting for skin care posts in diet forums. Here are some results:
  1. Look what happened to her skin after a month of eating only meats and fat
  2. This is how your skin looks if you eat only raw bananas for a month
  3. This girl only eats ONE meal per day. Her face became..
  4. etc etc
I hope this helps.

I'll add to this... aside from forums you can get good stuff from Amazon reviews. (books and products)

Back