How did you end up doing digital marketing job?

darklocal

BuSo Pro
I want to share my own story first.

I am working out of the country and I need to earn more so I can go back home. I look for different jobs online, did try Captcha, SurveryMonkey, Affiliate, and more. Then end up doing a virtual assistant job in Freelancer and Odesk (now Upwork), which is back 2009. Then study search engine optimization online.

I lived a life of being poor and working crap jobs. At my work I was always hanging out with one colleague, and he told me about his website - which was a very weird one.

I laughed at his website (obviously not in a bad way) and its content. I thought it was hilarious that this well-built and stoic guy had a website about such a girly thing. It was so strange.

Then he told me what he earned.

That's the day when I started.

I will always be grateful to that guy. Meeting him revolutionized my life for sure.

eliquid

Digital Strategist
My cousins had computers, old Tandys and Commodore 64's. I loved them and tried to spend all my time at their house.

I loved Atari and similar systems too.

At school, I would play on the Macs and run SimCity on them and hog them up. My senior year in HS, I was an assistant in the computer lab. I'd make games on our TI-82's too.

When my mom finally got us a computer at our house, I would sit on it and get on AOL all day. Bored, I found a way to make a webpage with some basic HTML and later figured out how to host it online.

I was trying to make a mens magazine, like Mens Health at the time.

Then I realized the webpage did nothing ( no form sending, no analytics, no action, etc ) so I learned Perl. After I learned basic hack-ish Perl I realized no one was coming to my site and it was still worthless.

I also learned to manipulate DMOZ and Yahoo Directory. I even became an editor at one time to insert my own listings. This was my first taste of marketing. I also got into GoTo and started buying PPC clicks.

I started getting gigs to build other people webpages and get them traffic as well. I also started to learn PHP and other things. As the money started to roll in, I decided that instead of being an Architect, this would be my new career.

While I still worked a ton of normal jobs as I did this on the side, I landed my first job at an agency actually employed for digital marketing when my girls were born. I landed that first digital marketing job almost 6 years after I got my start building that first HTML page.

I applied to that job knowing I could do what they asked for, that I could do the job and had the skills. The only thing holding me back was I was never employed "officially" in this role before.. the experience and skills were just self taught. So I stretched the truth a bit about my background and got the interview and job.

I spent the next 4-5 years employed in various digital marketing roles at that company plus 2 more before I went out on my own. Meaning, no full-time job ( w2 employee ) of any kind ( digital or not ) and just working for myself as an affiliate marketer. Doing whatever I wanted in this space.

Last edited: