How can I find informative keywords to rank for?

Degree
Hi all,

When doing keyword research for a website, I always find it far easier to find keywords based around "best x product for y" or "Z Product review". I can get hundreds of these keywords easily, but what I struggle with is finding information based keywords to rank for. For example if my niche was about toothpaste, an information based article could be "Why do I need toothpaste" or "Is toothpaste safe" (This isnt my niche and I would never try to rank for these keywords, but you get where im coming from).

Here is what I currently do to find these keywords:
  1. Use answer the public
  2. Check the "People also asked" box on google.
  3. Have a look on quora for my niche to see whats being asked.
Are there any other things I can do to find information based keywords? I spent a good majority of time today looking for them and found about 10 good ones, if even that. The reason I want to write more information based content is to diversify my income into display ads, aswell as my product reviews which are mainly affiliate. Looking forward to hearing what you guys think about this.

DanielS's list is kind of similar, but as young journalists we were always told to answer the basic questions first. So, using your example...

Who is this toothpaste most suitable for? Who invented toothpaste?
Where can I find *different kinds of toothpaste*?
When was toothpaste first used? When should you use toothpaste?
What is toothpaste made from? What is the difference between toothpaste X and Y?
Why you should never use toothpaste? Why do dentists believe you should use toothpaste?
How is toothpaste made? How do you brush your teeth with toothpaste?

Incidentally, when you get down to that level of questions I wouldn't bother too much about KW tools. Your web stats will give you far better (and more useable) information.

You might find this to be useful.
Thanks Daniel, that will definitely be helpful!

DanielS's list is kind of similar, but as young journalists we were always told to answer the basic questions first. So, using your example...

Who is this toothpaste most suitable for? Who invented toothpaste?
Where can I find *different kinds of toothpaste*?
When was toothpaste first used? When should you use toothpaste?
What is toothpaste made from? What is the difference between toothpaste X and Y?
Why you should never use toothpaste? Why do dentists believe you should use toothpaste?
How is toothpaste made? How do you brush your teeth with toothpaste?

Incidentally, when you get down to that level of questions I wouldn't bother too much about KW tools. Your web stats will give you far better (and more useable) information.
Thanks a million for that.

I can vouch for not using keyword tools. My best article gets 10 times what a keyword tool says it gets..

Back