Hostgator Drives Another Nail in its Coffin with SiteLock

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Thanks for looking out for our well-being, Hostgator (The EIG post-purchase version)!

uPo7Pxo.png

Today I'm woken up by another call from some nutsack with SiteLock. It's not the first time.

If you've noticed (and like me are stupid enough to still have a Hostgator server hanging around) you'll see they've been pushing this company called SiteLock. It's integrated into their cPanel, it's on their website, and now they're sending unsolicited phone calls, which could be fine except...

I finally get out of bed and listen to the voice mail. The guy makes sure I understand he's calling on behalf of Hostgator and offers several ways for me to confirm he is who he says he is. There's been a security breach on three of my sites! They're vulnerable to further problems, according to their "Site Scan" technology.

QyzTb5z.png

He then lists off three of my domains. It sounds pretty credible....

Except of the three, two haven't existed on that server in any format, from MySQL database, addon domain, public_html folders... nothing... for YEARS. The third one they got lucky with, it's still there.

All they had to do was take a second and make sure they're records were up to date. They didn't do it, and their game is exposed.

So I check out the SiteLock dashboard in cPanel... by george, it's only $19.99 per month per site to not protect my sites, but have them run scans regularly so I know when there's a problem! What a deal (it's not, I'm not willing to call it a scam, but I'm willing to type scam and even italicize it so search users can find this experience).

PfoaQcF.jpg

This is a heads up to less savvy users or those who they actually guess 3 sites correctly for and cause some anxiety.

1. I'm surprised someone from "our cast" still uses them.

2. I miss those ole good WF scam anchor games............

It would be a shame to use the word "scam" and SiteLock in the same sentence.

You're absolutely right, let's not jump to any conclusions that SiteLock is a scam. In all honesty, first we would need to define the word scam. And frankly, let's not rule out the possibility of this being some other form of internet fraud before immediately calling SiteLock by HostGator a scam.

There's even videos on youtube warning people about this! Watch Out!

So, is SiteLock a scam? Or would that be taking it too far? Like one of those credit monitoring services, except for websites?

I could write an Encyclopedia Britannica on issues I have had with Hostgator. Yea, the hosting might be 60 cents a month, but you would be better feeding your change to this turtle

Hostgator went straight down the crapper once they were purchased. And the Sitelock scam is more than a nail in the coffin. It is downright unethical. Some of the calls from clients I have had to deal with because of this scam make me want to punch someone at Hostgator in the face.

Same company just bought one of the host I'm using called Hostnine. Takes 6 weeks for a response and the response is "Ok sir, we will look into it". No resolution, nothing. Then you never hear back, so I'm dumping them. I can't send emails to Hotmail/MSN email addresses (luckily hardly anyone uses them anymore), because the IP they have my server on is blacklisted.. These guys own fucking everything (Sitelock Scam)...so, trying to find a hosting company they don't own....lol

Just sounds like marketers marketing. Have group of people using your product that probably don't know any better? Check!

I would like to be outraged but really not much different than anything else we've seen in internet marking in the last several years (Acai Berry pills, biz ops, etc...).

I would like to be outraged but really not much different than anything else we've seen in internet marking in the last several years (Acai Berry pills, biz ops, etc...).

Jon, is that you? I want my $37 back.

Haha. Not Jon. I'd want my $37 back too if I fell for that shit. Feels bad man.

I actually run a hostgator review page just to generate commissions to other, better hosts.

Back