Has anyone updated Wordpress yet? (4.8)

built

//
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
Just wondering. You never know with these updates what will break.

Finally a rich text widget. So who's going first with the update? Ha

I always give it time if there's no reported vulnerabilities. You have to give the plugin creators time to play catch up.

seems to be fine so far, doesn't hurt to test major updates on a staging domain if you're worried about breaking stuff

The only issue I had with updating was that it messed up all my custom HTML that I use with text widgets.

Other than that it seems fine so far

The only issue I had with updating was that it messed up all my custom HTML that I use with text widgets.

Other than that it seems fine so far

Oh good call I'll check with my sites with custom html in widgets.

I noticed that they added a rich text editor to the Text Widgets too. And they STILL to this day screw up your code if it switches from Visual to Text and back. And if you add "text" and save and come back to the page it loads the rich version and removes some things like  

Yeah, that's downright ridiculous @Samwise89. :wink: It's 2017. Can't we get a text editor that just works already?! It's for that exact reason that, if you write a lot of content, eventually at some point you will long for a world where you can use Markdown for storing all content.

With Wordpress, I increasingly find better success in shifting to using more of barebones functionality on the UI / convenience side of things, and instead opting for customization directly in the theme PHP files (and it really should be a child theme). I'd recommend fairly standard and simplified code (aka don't get too "creative" sometimes), as a better recipe for withstanding the test of....the "good ideas" in Wordpress updates.

Also, just remember, you can always create your own widgets and/or plugins, that YOU control (for the most part)! Here's a great tutorial from WPBeginner on how to create your own wordpress widgets. Get your copy paste on, maybe throw in a bit of Bootstrap to keep your HTML simple (hopefully), and even the average novice can get started with this quickly.

Updated one site to WP 4.8. No issues yet. The site has a Thrive theme (definitely gonna go in the future, too unnecessarily complex unfortunately), several of their plugins, WP All Import, and only one or two other simple plugins. Nothing crazy or highly complex thankfully. I was game on this particular site, since I have religiously kept backups and can restore on a moment's notice.

Back