HARO - Help a Reporter Out - Actual Experiences?

Degree
I joined HARO about six months ago and have responded ASAP to a lot of leads but never even got a courtesy response. Some of these took a lot of effort. It's soured me on the whole thing.

Today, as I deleted the three emails I was wondering about other people. Have you guys made this work out?

I read elsewhere that it's even better to sign up as the advertiser and network with all the people sending in requests. You're paying HARO to filter out motivated webmasters.

dresden

BuSo Pro
Degree
2 things have worked for me:

1. Lie. Outright lie about who / what you are, say you represent a client that is the TOP DAWG in the industry, get a response (mr xyz is very busy, but if you're interested in having xyz offer a quote, let me know) and then pull the bait and switch and say he was not able to, but you have this other guy who can offer a very similar quote.

2. Do the reverse and ask for experts for your site (you have to be sub 100k alexa, which is a ridiculous metric, but can be gamed). Then get them to tweet / link back and you're good to go.

Edit: If you don't already know, the main lists are terrible. So many ballers there eating up the good stuff, so you need to look at profnet / haro urgent stuff on twitter and their forums. These have super tight deadlines and 1/100 of the eyballs on them.

CCarter

If they cease to believe in u, do u even exist?
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Digital Strategist
Degree
I've been thinking about using HARO as a source for one of newer my projects. I've got to do things as if I'm new again. Worse case scenario if they don't use my content I can re-purpose it as a blog post. I'm going to add this to my calendar for outreach and content creation.

so you need to look at profnet / haro urgent stuff on twitter and their forums. These have super tight deadlines and 1/100 of the eyballs on them.
^^ thanks for that tip mate.

Degree
I've been using HARO sporadically for the past few months. Here's my preliminary results.

Pitches responded to: 74
Links received: 8
AHRefs DR Range: 35 - 80

For the time invested it's a pretty great return. The links would've cost me at least $2,000.

74 responses, if you guess it takes 15 minutes on average to respond to one, that's 19 hours of work. Is my time worth $100/hour? Sure.

Degree
i've had similar results to @mikeb23

roughly 10% returns with a big range in DRs from 20s to the highest being some major blogs. Some nofollow features in a number of major publications/news reports. also made some friends out of it

I do a quick skim for something that's directly in my niche every day and only look for direct fits.

admittedly i think my niche is less competitive though. it's not a ton of links, but a nice supplement to other link building for little time. i know some who use VAs to filter through.

RBT

Degree
HARO got me 4 backlinks from the ~35 queries I responded to in Nov/ Dec. I only spent maybe 5-6 minutes per reply since they were in my niche which I know inside out. Avg word-count per reply was less than 200 words.

I usually check the DR before replying so the links I got were from DR 65+ sites except one which was DR 18 because it was marked "anonymous" lol. Although considering my low time spent per reply, I shouldn't be picky I guess.

I stopped doing HARO after that one month though because I am getting far better backlinks simply by reaching out to people in my industry. One of the perks of starting a website in your day-job industry :smile: