Growing a pinterest audience

Degree
Hello guys,

I want to grow a pinterest audience for my webpage(sports gear related) and would love to hear tips from you, how to do that?

1. With what boards would you recommend to start?
  2. How would you promote your boards?
  3. How many pins do you think one board should have?
  4. Any recommendations of scripts and automatism, which you use to grow your following?

Thx for your answers!

Btw I am currently starting on pinterest from scratch, I do not have any sort of content there.

Is there already someone else in your niche that has a decent pinterest following? Look at what they are doing, implement it, and then after a while try to improve on things to get that edge.

I've never worked with pinterest so I can't answer your specific questions but that's what I would do starting out.

What kind of sports gear? Pinterest is predominantly women... So, unless your site is geared toward them, you may want to put your effort into something else.

I've been playing around a little bit with a Jon Leger tool called Social Multiplier recently. He lumps it in with his "Learn from Jon" stuff, but I just paid for it as a stand alone for a year ($67) a couple of weeks ago. It is a tool designed to grab Pinterest traffic (there are videos on Youtube if you want to see it.) The tool does a couple of things. First, it will auto-follow people who are following boards in your niche. A lot of these people actually DO follow you back. Second, it can find images and make pins for you. You can add comments (with your URL in them) and you can also make those images point to your own URL if you like (this part is a bit shady and probably tiptoes around Pinterest TOS). I did use it that way for a day or two and saw a spike in visits on a dog of a site (went from 5 visitors a day up to 200). I got nervous about redirecting other people's images to my site though, and stopped using that feature. As expected, traffic dropped.

The auto following works very well. I've set it to a very low number of follows per hour/day and I've still picked up several hundred targeted followers with very little effort in a short amount of time. In fact, I haven't run the software in a couple of days and I still got notifications of about 10 new followers today. Obviously, I don't have any affiliate links here, but if you want to go the Pinterest route with automation, you might want to look into it.

As for building related boards, look for a phrase related to your niche that no one else has taken yet. Make those the titles of your boards. The search string for doing that is:
inurl:"keywords here" site:tongue:interest.com

(that is supposed to be a colon and a capital P after site)
You want to get a message that your search didn't return any results. If you grab that board, and get some images up, you'll have a good chance of being the Pinterest board that shows up in searches for "easy" keywords. Good luck!

Last edited:
If you're interested in it, I'd suggest getting on Leger's mailing list. He comes up with offers from time to time. Also, you could do the following part manually if you're motivated. Search for boards related to your niche, then follow the followers on those boards. Just stay within Pinterest's guidelines for following. You've also got to remember to occasionally unfollow anyone who doesn't follow you back. I was surprised to see how many people started following me when I did this.

A lot can be done manually too. If you spend a couple of hours studying pinners and boards in your niche, you will definitely see authority figures that are legitimately popular. Focus on interaction with them, show you're human too and you will get invited to pin to their public boards which bring instant traffic and repins.

There's very little point in interacting with other Pinterest bots, and there are way too many of them.

Good to know. I may check it out for one of my site targeted at female audience.

P.S; There appears to be a free version. what's the restriction in the trial version?

It is not the most elegant system but I am seeing encouraging results!

What do you people use to pepper your images to be more attractive?

Stock images provided by amazon.com are so general.
Eg: http://www.cyberalert.com/blog/index.php/eyetracking-study-consumers-largely-ignore-stock-photos/
Old news, but still. Three large competitors in amazon affiliates are thewirecutter(TWC), thesweethome(TSH) (these two are sister sites) and thisiswhyimbroke. If you can share more, I'd be thankful.

I've studied these folks and their images are mostly what seems to be authentic in use (TWC, TSH) and user submitted and editor edited, mostly in use, authentic looking and "fun" (TIWIB).

TIWIB guy is really hardcore on wordpress.
2 reddit ama-s found:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/nb8gs/i_am_the_creator_of_thisiswhyimbroke_amaa
http://www.reddit.com/r/Entrepreneur/comments/15s5g9/i_am_the_creator_of_thisiswhyimbrokecom_ama

Also looking at their sites whois, all of them are private regged. People don't seem to be bothered though.

I'm trying to mix their styles, with review kind of articles but with many images linking to amazon.

Problem is the image part of the equation.

I use canva.com, but am still a novice with it.

Take your own or steal interesting images like everyone else does.

People aren't going to click your images as much as they will click contextual links with compelling anchor text anyway. Try setting up click tracking like crazyegg to verify that for yourself.

The pages I have analyzed on the sites you mentioned didnt use image links either. Instead they used an above the fold text link that used anchor or adjacent text that made people want to click the link.

Back