Google's New "People Also Search" Feature

CCarter

Final Boss ®
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Digital Strategist
Degree
Okay, there has been some news about's latest feature the "People also search for" box that appears, it looks like this (#1):

m0I54oK.png

^ (WTF is #2, never seen that before).

Here is the kicker that CONFIRMS conspiracy theory that Google does indeed detect whether a user goes back to the SERPs to see other results. I tried this on multiple computers on different IPs and the results are the same.

I Google "SERPWoo Volatility" and got the follow results:

Gwnaf0S.jpg

Then I clicked the 2nd results the Blog Post link for Volatility, and then clicked the back button, BAM!

6Vv4WQa.jpg

^^ The "People also search for" result only appeared when I clicked the Back button into those SERPs. This is DEFINITIVE proof (as we really need it apparently), that Google considers searcher re-searching for keywords if they didn't get the result on the page they went too.

You can try this yourself, google "SERPWoo Volatility", then click on anything but the first result, 2nd result is fine, then click the back button. :smile:

More on this: Google launches new look for ‘people also search for’ search refinements

--

So now that means if users do not like your results Google knows about it and takes it into consideration - how much does it impact your rankings... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Were you using Chrome? Were you signed into Gmail?

I don't think it really matters, even if you were signed in or using Chrome... they can probably tell since you're technically "on their site" so if you're unhappy with first result and leave, they would know that either way.

It's not much of a conspiracy theory, I think Google has pretty much come out and officially said they measure this https://www.seroundtable.com/google-brain-click-data-for-rankings-24441.html

They've been measuring this forever. I knew a guy who used to tank his competitors and boost his own site using Microworkers, telling them to follow this procedure.

But it's nice to see confirmation that they're capable of measuring it. I started noticing this a couple days ago using Safari. I was logged in. I'll run a non-logged in test real quick...

Yep, it works non-logged in and in incognito mode.

It is also triggered if you open serps in a new window which I do by default. So not perfect

Back