Google Updates Policy on 'Doorway Pages'

That was pretty vague (as usual).

Panda was supposed to have taken care of these issues already.

Scrapers, auto-generators, crappy directory sites built on the zillions of databases available... I'd say these are all up for getting hit. Not sure what else they are referring to at this point. Anything sneaking through at this point simply indicates that Panda is failing, and the fact that they are ranking based on back links is an indication that Penguin is failing to some degree (it's pretty effective honestly).

What's your interpretation, Norm? You say you've come across these pages. Exactly what type of pages are you taking this to mean?

Yea I don't think this has been implemented yet. They are working on it is what they say. It will affect a good portion of sites I imagine. For example the difference between an 20 page site with each page coded/content generated manually and unique, compared to a WP theme with 60% of the content on every page of the site being the same due to widgets, theme options etc.

I'm already optimizing some properties to avoid any drops from this. www.siteliner.com is a great tool for any of you who don't know about it.

I make some money out local target pages, so i will be watching this closely.

I believe that this is very much linked to the new mobile updated coming (rolling out)?, 40% of search is mobile and this type of results (can) will impact quality if the normal (non mobile optimised) sites ranking have not adjusted for mobile Optimisation. Should be fun :smile:

Last edited:
I believe this updated is targeting local lead-gen sites that auto-generate city/state pages with spun content using #city# and #state# tokens within Title, H1, and content.

Excerpt from: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/2721311?hl=en

Doorways are sites or pages created to rank highly for specific search queries. They are bad for users because they can lead to multiple similar pages in user search results, where each result ends up taking the user to essentially the same destination. They can also lead users to intermediate pages that are not as useful as the final destination.

Back