Google Search Console - Wildly Innacurate?

TinFoilMan

BuSo Pro
Degree
I just logged in to GSC to check things and my CTR is 1.4 in the last 28 days despite lots of rankings and traffic. I sorted by impressions and noticed that according to GSC I am ranking for a huge brand term with the average position of 3.1. (not even targeting it).

The brand term would be similar to being in the shoes niche and ranking for "nike shoes".

According to GSC I have had nearly 28,000 impressions in the last 28 days with 1 click through. I checked the serps and I am nowhere to be seen. Not in any images, any questions, nowhere. I went to the serps while still logged in to GSC and it brings up the stats of your page up the top. The stats said the same thing.

Anybody else experienced something like this?

I see all kinds of stupid stuff like this in Search Console. I don't trust it for data related to specific keywords. The total impressions and clicks seems accurate but anything more detailed than that seems off when it comes to traffic.

I wonder if you didn't get split tested for that term and pop in at number 10 and get almost no traffic from it. It could also be impressions from different countries plus bot impressions.

These kind of appearances in the rankings do happen because Ahrefs and SEMRush and SERPwoo and them will spot them too. But they do screw up the data real good when they happen.

Back